Page 802 of 985 FirstFirst ... 302702752792798799800801802803804805806812852902 ... LastLast
Results 12,016 to 12,030 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    This by the same party that launched an investigation into voter "fraud" of three million "illegal" votes in order to coax the president's ego.
    And found many in his own party and even family committed voter fraud, so they stopped looking into it.

Yup.

It's them.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week:

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

Not even one example of these "Bernie People..." that have been doing this. Never mind anything that points to that they actually exist.
    You totally got me. I totally made it up.

I wonder how Fox News will spin AOC being “attacked” with kisses by that dog.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-by-a-dog-goes

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    You totally got me. I totally made it up.
    What isn’t being made up is that individuals in this thread full-throatedly in support of Sanders over everyone else with absolutely no willingness to support social progressives that might beat him are really emulating their inner Orestes Brownson. That’s up to your discretion whether that is a bad thing or not (especially since Sanders fits neatly in this ideological tradition).
    Last edited by TheDarman; 02-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I don't regret believing Jussie Smollett, and I won't apologize. But I will admit I was wrong, if the final result of the investigation is that he faked the whole thing. However, given the realities of increasing hate crimes that DID happen, and are documented as such, the MAGA crowd needs to remember that their gloating in this instance is both gross, and inappropriate, given their support and ignorance regarding the many, many hate crimes that DO occur.

Many right-wing social media personalities who challenged my support have now told me that I owe them an apology. After much self reflection and soul searching, I say to them: Take every damn seat.

I will never regret believing Smollett, or any victim, and I have nothing to apologize for.
    The FBI and the Department of Justice released findings that showed a 17% increase in hate crimes since Trump entered the race to become President. The data shows that the number of anti-LGBTQ hate crimes had been dropping steadily since 2008 under President Obama, and made a sharp reversal under Trump.

– 5,850 hate crimes in 2015.
    – 6,121 hate crimes in 2016.
    – 7,175 hate crimes in 2017.

Data also shows there was an alarming 86% increase in anti-LGBTQ homicides from 2016-17.

– 52 people killed by anti-LGBTQ hate crimes in 2017 (not including mass violence events like Pulse nightclub).
    – 71% were people of color.
    – 52% were trans or gender nonconforming.
    – 40% were trans women of color.

And, of course, these numbers do not reflect the countless attacks that go unreported.
    Last edited by zinderel; 02-22-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    His policy led to children dying that, most likely, would not have died otherwise.

The buck stops with the guy that pulled the trigger. Mets.
    How did the policy lead to children dying?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How did the policy lead to children dying?
    The immigrant children wouldn't have died if they had received proper health care and the Puerto Rican children wouldn't have died if he wouldn't have halted the aid they needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wonder how Fox News will spin AOC being “attacked” with kisses by that dog.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-by-a-dog-goes
    Class warfare, AOC shows shocking disregard for pure breeds.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The immigrant children wouldn't have died if they had received proper health care and the Puerto Rican children wouldn't have died if he wouldn't have halted the aid they needed.
    The comments were about the asylum seekers rather than Puerto Rico. If there's an article on children who died due to Hurricane Maria, we could discuss that and the policy implications.

As for the asylum seekers, proper health care remains a vague standard. What specifically should the federal government do differently as a policy with minor asylum-seekers?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Proper health care remains a vague standard. What specifically should the federal government do differently as a policy with minor asylum-seekers?
    Probably more what Obama did (no kids died in custody) than what Trump has been doing (multiple kids died in custody). That’d be a start at least. When you broke it and it wasn’t broken before, fix it. Simple.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Probably more what Obama did (no kids died in custody) than what Trump has been doing (multiple kids died in custody). That’d be a start at least. When you broke it and it wasn’t broken before, fix it. Simple.
    Just take a look at the administrations of Clinton then Bush then Obama and then Trump -- we all know that's not the Republican way.

They break things and then ask others to fix them -- which is why Mets has to continually ask questions, since he can't defend the actions of his party.

More relevantly, even if you came up with a reasonable -- and humane -- solution, we know the Republicans wouldn't implement it because this isn't about solving a problem: it's about "hurting" brown people.

Meanwhile, record deficits grow, climate change goes uncontested, and our allies no longer trust our leadership.

------
    "Presidential candidate Donald Trump said ending "catch and release" was the second of his two priorities for immigration reform, after walling off Mexico.[29][30] When the administration began separating families, pro-Trump pundits argued that the administration was implementing the same policy as the Obama administration.[23] According to PolitiFact, the assertion that Trump was implementing the same policy as Obama is "false", noting "Obama's immigration policy specifically sought to avoid breaking up families. While some children were separated from their parents under Obama, this was relatively rare and families were quickly reunited even if that meant the release of a parent from detention."[23] The Obama Administration did consider separating families, but decided against it.[31]

Proposals of family separation as a means to deter immigration

Two weeks after President Trump was inaugurated on January 20, 2017, the administration reviewed the idea of separating immigrant children from their mothers as a way to deter asylum-seekers.[28][39] In March 2017, it was first reported that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was considering a proposal to separate parents from their children if they were caught attempting to cross the border into the United States.[28][27] John Kelly, then Secretary of Homeland Security, confirmed that the policy was under consideration,[37][40] but later denied it.[41][42] Speaking on Democracy Now! the director of the National Immigration Law Center said that the policy, if implemented, would amount "to state-sanctioned violence against children, against families that are coming to the United States to seek safety" and that the administration did not act with transparency in explaining what was being proposed.[43]

In June, U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal spoke with recently arrived detainees at the Federal Detention Center, SeaTac facility located near Seattle. The facility housed 206 immigrants, 174 of them were women. Many of the women spoke of "fleeing threats of rape, gang violence and political persecution".[13] She said more than half of the women were mothers who had forcibly been separated from their children, some as young as 12 months old, and said that many did not know where their children were being detained. Commenting on her visit of the facility, Jayapal called the women's stories "heartbreaking", saying, "I've been doing immigration-rights work for almost two decades. I am not new to these stories. I will tell you there was not a dry eye in the house. ... Some of them heard their children screaming for them in the next room. Not a single one of them had been allowed to say goodbye or explain to them what was happening.

In September 2018 it was reported that 12,800 children were being held in federal custody, and that federal shelters housing migrant children were filled to around 90% since May 2018.[98]

A report by Amnesty International, published in 2018, found that the statistics on the separated children did not include children who had been separated from non-parental relationships, for example from grandparents, or those who were separated due to their documentation being insufficient.[99][100] In January 2019, auditors from the Office of the Inspector General at the Department of Health and Human Services stated that the practice of separating migrant children from their families started earlier and involved thousands more children than previously known, and that in the summer of 2017 a "steep increase in the number of children who had been separated from a parent or guardian" occurred.[101][102]

A followup government report released in January 2019, revealed that while HHS had previously said that the total number of children separated from their parents was 2,737, a new investigation suggested the true number of children to be thousands more, with the exact number unknown.

Government data of arrests by border agents suggest that the family separation policy did little to deter migrants from crossing the US border illegally.[118]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_...aration_policy
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-22-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Has somebody mentioned that there will be a do-over election in NC because a whole bunch of Republicans cheated to change the outcome of several races?
    Post #12173...

Incredible Member

Twice in the last week I've seen posts on Facebook by people I've never heard of before, dredging up incidents of blatant racism by Democrats from 50 to 200 years ago. Is this a coordinated campaign?

It's true that the Democrats were the party of the Confederate sympathizers for a long time, and blacks all voted for Mr. Lincoln's party, but things started to change with Lyndon Johnson and the Civil Rights Act. Nowadays the parties have largely traded places on race, but these people on Facebook are trying to convince people that they didn't.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org