Page 15 of 985 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That would cover every Democrat who isn't reaching out past their base.
    I agree with that.

And voters won't make up the difference because said democrat didn't go to Wisconsin or whatever the ****.

So we remain permanently fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    And what if the roles were reversed and the green party candidate was the only one who wanted to end the child-caging?

Would you be in here telling us to vote for the centrist whose one redeeming quality is that he happens to think we shouldn't let people die from being unable to afford health care?

Would you be calling the anti-child cagers naive?
    I'm alive today because of Obamacare. It ain't the Dem's fault their efforts to expand Medicaid were blocked in court in a disastrous way for low-income voters by GOP governors who were willing to let people die rather than see a black man get a second term in office.

I am voting to protect the safety net we have and voting to further expand it every chance I get. To do any of that, we have to win a lot of races, in a lot of places that aren't like my neighborhood.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Do any of those voters that happen to speak Spanish want to go down to the boarder and explain their rational to grieving parents?
    No more than the people who voted for the centrist should have to explain themselves to the thousands of people who die from treatable illnesses because they can't afford it. Or have to explain themselves for voting for a candidate who thinks it is OK for people to work more than one job just to afford rent. Or to all the children poisoned by environmental hazards, and so on.

If the green party voters are responsible for the cages, then you are responsible for every thing the centrist voters didn't get.
    Baby Thanos

And what if the roles were reversed and the green party candidate was the only one who wanted to end the child-caging?

Would you be in here telling us to vote for the centrist whose one redeeming quality is that he happens to think we shouldn't let people die from being unable to afford health care?

Would you be calling the anti-child cagers naive?
    I'm alive today because of Obamacare. It ain't the Dem's fault their efforts to expand Medicaid were blocked in court in a disastrous way for low-income voters by GOP governors who were willing to let people die rather than see a black man get a second term in office.

I am voting to protect the safety net we have and voting to further expand it every chance I get. To do any of that, we have to win a lot of races, in a lot of places that aren't like my neighborhood.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

So we if we elect a ton of centrist candidates who are on record as being opposed to universal health care, they will all suddenly change their mind?
    Baby Thanos

No more than the people who voted for the centrist should have to explain themselves to the thousands of people who die from treatable illnesses because they can't afford it. Or have to explain themselves for voting for a candidate who thinks it is OK for people to work more than one job just to afford rent. Or to all the children poisoned by environmental hazards, and so on.

If the green party voters are responsible for the cages, then you are responsible for every thing the centrist voters didn't get.
    All things that can be changed with more Democrats, centrist or no, in office. Things that have changed, if only a little, because for a short time there were more Democrats in office. It's the only reason why pre-existing conditions are covered now, and the loss of that majority is why the ACA is in danger. The loss of that majority is why the ACA has yet to be morphed into something even more meaningful.

Do you really think that one Green candidate can overwhelm the Republican majority?

Mighty Member

So we if we elect a ton of centrist candidates who are on record as being opposed to universal health care, they will all suddenly change their mind?
    But how do we get universal health care by splitting the left and letting the GOP win every race as a result?

Suddenly? Naw.

But if we create a viable left flank in safe seats, keep the issue front and center, and /stop absolving ourselves of our obligations/ once an election happens, we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    But how do we get universal health care by splitting the left and letting the GOP win every race as a result?
    The American people support things like universal health care and higher minimum wages, you don't need to split the vote, you just need to get a candidate that isn't paid to be against what the majority of people want.
    Baby Thanos

Mighty Member

I guess the only thing we can all agree on is there actually is no viable resolution and we are permanently fucked.

You talk like every single Democrat is a centrist. Not like being a centrist is bad, especially compared to the far right. There isn't even such a thing as a centrist Republican in office anymore. They are all to busy trying to impress Trump voters for that.

Different states have different politics. So what works for one state won't work for another. And if more left leaning people want a more left leaning candidate then they need to vote like it. Especially in the primaries. And if the Green party wants part of the action they need to build up their credibility. This is the party that put Jill Stine up as their Presidential front runner and has very few positions on the state level. It should surprise no one that they are so easily discounted. It's not even about money either, there are plenty of low profile positions to strive for, but they only get in the game when name recognition is involved.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 08-08-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Mighty Member

The American people support things like universal health care and higher minimum wages, you don't need to split the vote, you just need to get a candidate that isn't paid to be against what the majority of people want.
    I mean....if that is the conversation then we are in agreement. I thought this argument was about wasting votes on the Green Party, who is not going to win. At all.

I said like four times to primary candidates--i.e. let the electorate decide. But then the caveat in order for any of this to work, is to vote for the candidate the people choose. That's where **** is getting foggy. Don't vote in the primary and them dip put in the general if your candidate doesn't get the democratic nod.

Compared to polling of the American public, most Democrats are centrists. Universal health care, minimum wage increases, expanded social security, higher taxes on the wealthy, environmental protection, legalizing drugs, etc. are all popular ideas, but people who get elected in this country don't talk about those things because nobody is donating millions of dollars towards PACs on behalf of minimum wage increases.
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    From his website...

While I don't want to dog this dude too hard, that is not exactly "I'm ready to go out and fight these things."
    Holy cherry-picking, Batman!!!

You that from this list of goals:

Expanding Health Care Coverage
    Health care is of paramount importance to Danny, especially as the son of a breast cancer survivor. In Congress, Danny will fight to protect access to quality health care. Danny will fight to expand access to health care so that no family has to decide between going bankrupt and getting the care they need.

Creating Economic Opportunity and Jobs
    We need to create economic opportunity for Central Ohio and work together to find common ground. Ensuring that Central Ohioans have the skills they need to get a good-paying job.

Finding Common Ground
    Danny is committed to ending the partisan gridlock in Washington. In Congress, he will work with both sides to bring new economic opportunities to families and working people in Central Ohio.

Combating Climate Change
    America’s leading scientists are clear: climate change is leading to extreme weather and devastating storms that must be addressed. This is an opportunity for the U.S. to lead the world and create new jobs in clean and renewable energy.

Improving Our Education System
    Danny will be a consistent and vocal advocate for a strong public education system. The challenges of the 21st century require our country to train the next generation for the global economy and an emphasis on math and science is vital to ensure our competitiveness in the world. Young people need more skills than ever to get good jobs, but too many are being crushed by debt. Danny supports increased financial aid and making community colleges and trade schools accessible to everyone.

Safeguarding Our Voting Rights
    Numerous federal laws have been proposed that will ensure that all Americans are able to exercise their right to vote. Laws ranging from the Automatic Voter Registration Act to the Voting Rights Advancement Act are laws that I would co-sponsor as a member of Congress. Danny will stand up for every Ohioan’s right to vote, fighting efforts to purge voter rolls and protecting early voting.

Protecting Medicare and Social Security
    Ohio seniors have earned their Medicare and Social Security benefits over a lifetime of work. Danny will stand up to any efforts to privatize Social Security and voucherize Medicare that would threaten Ohioan’s retirement security.