Page 216 of 985 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316716 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And Brett Kavanaugh hasn't? Seem to be multiple women that can report being sexually assaulted by him or place him at the scene of gang rapes. His yearbook seems to indicate he was privy to sexual activity going on...
    Cosby has been...

- Accused
    - Tried
    - Convicted
    - Sentenced

While I'm not about to say that there is no way that Kavanaugh did anything, those two situations are not really the same.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Cosby has been...

- Accused
    - Tried
    - Convicted

While I'm not about to say that there is no way that Kavanaugh did anything, those two situations are not really the same.
    One other problem is that none of th allegations were that he raped anybody. Where nearly every Cosby accusation was that he drugged and raped anybody. The worst was that he attempted to rape somebody, allegedly So even if you take everything alleged as true, he’s a scumbag but he isn’t in the same ballpark as Cosby

Cosby has been...

- Accused
    - Tried
    - Convicted
    - Sentenced

They would have been if

A) Kavanugh wasn't a Trump Chosen One
    B) If the timing was such that the #Metoo movement didn't correlate with his nomination, but occurred earlier.

Take out the Congressional Republicans defending him, and he'd be facing charges.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    One other problem is that none of th allegations were that he raped anybody. Where nearly every Cosby accusation was that he drugged and raped anybody. The worst was that he attempted to rape somebody, allegedly So even if you take everything alleged as true, he’s a scumbag but he isn’t in the same ballpark as Cosby
    But that should still disqualify him for the SC

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    They would have been if

A) Kavanugh wasn't a Trump Chosen One
    B) If the timing was such that the #Metoo movement didn't correlate with his nomination, but occurred earlier.

Take out the Congressional Republicans defending him, and he'd be facing charges.
    - Cosby didn't just face charges. He was tried, found guilty, and sentenced.
    - As far as I know, he could be brought up on charges in the first accusation. Thus far, that hasn't even happened.

Just not really the same thing.

Ultimate Member

For the record I NEVER heard of this law.

https://newsone.com/3828599/student-...ce-case-texas/

Black teen in Texas is facing opposition from the state’s attorney general after she was expelled from school for sitting down during the Pledge of Allegiance.
    India Landry chose to sit during the pledge at Windfern High School, which is part of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent District school in Harris County.
    “I felt the flag doesn’t represent what it stands for, liberty and justice for all, and I don’t feel what is going on in the country, so it was my choice to remain seated, silently,” Landry said to the Houston Chronicle. “It was a silent protest.”

Under Texas Law, students need permission to withdraw from participating in the pledge. The school board in Katy, Texas then responded to Landry’s move by expelling her. She is suing the district for free speech violations and denial of due process, the New York Daily News reported.

State Attorney General Paxton has publicly declared his support of the Katy school board. Landry’s filing presented an opportunity for the Texas district to examine a student’s choice to protest strong patriotic symbols such as the American flag and National Anthem. The case could also set a national precedent on the treatment of students who choose to sit, not stand, for the pledge.
    The law itself

Texas Law from the Texas Education Code - EDUC § 25.082. School Day; Pledges of Allegiance; Minute of Silence, requires the inclusion of the pledges and moment of silence during the school day. However it is not a mandate for every student. MISD policy includes provisions for parents to request their child be excluded from participating.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't pretend to know everything, although I doubt that opposition to skepticism and the concept of asking questions to better understand someone else is helpful.
    Never said that you pretend to know everything -- just that you seem to want to prove that you are "right".

To be clear: it's not at all helpful when you continually deny or ignore almost anything you disagree with despite evidence to the contrary ("I'm skeptical" is the common refrain) while simultaneously counter-arguing as if the party you support lives up to your alleged ideals.

Again -- no matter what you say here, it won't change the truth about the Republican party.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    No, a lack of compromise would be not wanting to hold the vote, and refusing to even call for due process.
    Obama's efforts at outreach showed all we need to know about how Republicans "compromise" -- there's no point in even humoring that line of thought.

Yet another example of why I say "dialogue" with Mets on these kinds of issues is pointless.

To be honest, it reminds me of those scams where one guy keeps you busy talking while the rest of his crew robs you blind behind your back.

-----
    "The method Republicans have used to defend Kavanaugh has consisted of suppressing most of the evidence that could be brought to bear in the hearing, and then complaining about the lack of evidence."
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-27-2018 at 07:01 PM.

- Cosby didn't just face charges. He was tried, found guilty, and sentenced.
    - As far as I know, he could be brought up on charges in the first accusation. Thus far, that hasn't even happened.

Just not really the same thing.
    Which is fine. But it took years of people saying that about Cosby before anyone believed it and years after that before we got an investigation/trial/conviction.
    With Brett Kavanaugh we have until...what, tomorrow morning? Monday? Any attempt to look into this in any meaningful way is just written off as partisan hackery.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    It's over! FINALLY!

What have we learned today class?
    That Kavanaugh isn’t fit to judge a third rate beauty pageant, never mind sit on the highest court in the land.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

My biggest takeaway is that Kavanaugh is an idiot. We already knew he was completely biased and partial. But he was also too dumb to hide these traits when pressed. He spent all that time growling threats and blaming other people and refusing to cooperate. Clarence Thomas might be a similar sort of man, but he was smart enough to keep a lid on it.

I have a horrible feeling they're going to push him through anyway and swallow the midterms for the bigger gain of a hardline conservative Supreme Court. Trading pawns for a queen.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    My biggest takeaway is that Kavanaugh is an idiot. We already knew he was completely biased and partial. But he was also too dumb to hide these traits when pressed. He spent all that time growling threats and blaming other people and refusing to cooperate. Clarence Thomas might be a similar sort of man, but he was smart enough to keep a lid on it.

I have a horrible feeling they're going to push him through anyway and swallow the midterms for the bigger gain of a hardline conservative Supreme Court. Trading pawns for a queen.
    The moment where he refuses to give an answer and just stare while trying to not crack a smile was the weaseliest thing I've ever seen, and this was a room with Ted Cruz in it so it's doubly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post

And, within six months, maybe less, Kavaugh will be impeached and kicked off the Supreme Court. Especially if criminal charges are filed against him.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

All-New Member

According to AP News, there will be a vote tomorrow morning.

8:10 p.m.

Republican senators say the Judiciary Committee plans to vote Friday morning on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, the second ranking-Republican, had said Thursday that the GOP conference would meet and “see where we are.” After meeting, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham said, “There will be a vote tomorrow morning.”

Kavanaugh and a woman accusing him of sexual assault, California psychologist Christine Blasey (BLAH’-zee) Ford, spent hours testifying Thursday before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Ford told senators that one night in the summer of 1982, a drunken Kavanaugh forced her down on a bed, groped her and tried to take off her clothes. Kavanaugh, testifying second, forcefully denied the accusation and said he’s never sexually assaulted anyone.
    9:05 p.m.

GOP Sen. Bob Corker says he’ll be voting to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

The Tennessee Republican said Thursday that Kavanaugh is “qualified to serve.”

Corker says it took “courage” for Kavanaugh’s accuser Christine Blasey (BLAH’-zee) Ford to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee. But he says the testimony presented no evidence to corroborate her allegation that he sexually assaulted her when they were teens.

Corker says Kavanaugh conducted himself “as well as anyone could expect.” Corker says he plans “to vote to confirm him.”

Corker is a moderate Republican senator whose vote wasn’t a certainty. Kavanaugh’s nomination will face a test in the Senate, which has a tight 51-49 Republican majority.

Kavanaugh resolutely denied Ford’s accusation.