Page 221 of 985 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321721 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 14769

Mighty Member

Anyone here ever see the movie 'Society'?

I feel like that movie would be an accurate portrayal of Kavanaugh's life in the 80s.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Anyone here ever see the movie 'Society'?

I feel like that movie would be an accurate portrayal of Kavanaugh's life in the 80s.
    Brett Easton Ellis said that his books "Less Than Zero" and "The Rules of Attraction" were largely biographical and having attended a wealthy, "elite" private university in southern California, it became clear to me my very first semester that he wasn't exaggerating.

If anything, he didn't tell the whole story, especially given the fact that he never fully explored the fraternity scene.

-----
    "Titled after the Elvis Costello song of the same name, the novel follows the life of Clay, a rich, young college student who has returned to his hometown of Los Angeles, California for winter break during the early 1980s. Through first-person narration, Clay describes his progressive alienation from the culture around him, loss of faith in his friends, and his meditations on events in his recent past.

After reuniting with his ex-girlfriend Blair, and friends like Trent, now a successful model, Clay embarks on a series of drug-fueled nights of partying, during which he picks up various men and women for one-night stands. While partying, he tries to track down his best friend from high school, Julian, with whom he hasn't spoken in months. In between descriptions of his days and nights, Clay recounts a vacation spent with his parents and grandparents, during which he seemed to be the only person concerned that his grandmother was dying of cancer.

Over time, Clay becomes progressively disillusioned with the party scene as he witnesses the apathy of his friends towards the suffering of one another and those around them: at one party, he watches as the revellers joke and take Polaroids of his friend, Muriel, while she injects heroin; at another, he and Blair are the only two who exhibit revulsion when Trent shows a snuff film..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_Than_Zero_(novel)
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-28-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Brett Easton Ellis said that his books "Less Than Zero" and "The Rules of Attraction" were largely biographical and having attended a wealthy, "elite" private university in southern California, it became clear to me my very first semester that he wasn't exaggerating.

If anything, he didn't tell the whole story, especially given the fact that he never fully explored the fraternity scene.
    Oh yeah, man, I could totally put BK in the center of those books.

A bunch of rich entitled pricks who believe they are untouchable (for good reason, considering one of them is about to be a Supreme Court judge).

Mighty Member

Also, Manchin definitely is voting for confirmation. Why is that dude even a democrat? He's more of a Trump/GOP bootlicker than their own reps.

Also, Manchin definitely is voting for confirmation. Why is that dude even a democrat? He's more of a Trump/GOP bootlicker than their own reps.
    Did a search and found no references to his decision. Do you have a source? Just curious.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Flake voting yes pretty much gauranteed he’s on the court imo. He was the best indicator of how any questionable Republicans would vote

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Kavaugh has made it through Committee along party lines. When it was clear that this was going to happen, Booker and Harris abstained in protest to this vote.

How can Jeff Flake vote for Kavanaugh today after this?

Good question, why did Flake decide to vote with the other Republicans?
    Reading between the lines from that article, it sounds like Flake had the fear of Trump and his psycho base put in him by attack dog Lindsey Graham and he folded like a penknife, putting party ahead of morality, or even proper jurisprudence. This doesn't make a lick of sense to me, Flake had already announced he's leaving the Senate at the end of the year, why should he give a shit about angering Trump, and yet, from all indications, he STILL cowered to Caramel Caligula like the rest of his gutless Republican brethren. That is beyond sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Oh yeah, man, I could totally put BK in the center of those books.

A bunch of rich entitled pricks who believe they are untouchable (for good reason, considering one of them is about to be a Supreme Court judge).
    I got to see it firsthand -- even got invited to join one of the more open-minded houses.

I find it even more ironic in retrospect how well he nails the drug problem within said circles -- between "frat" parties, bars and raves, the only time you saw half of those guys sober was in class. No matter what house you visited, the red cups were at the ready and the kegs were always on tap.

Just remembered a personal favorite called "Sloshball" (kickball plus alcohol) -- now these youngsters just throw coins into cups and call it a day.

Edit: I thought it was dodgeball because all I remember was guys trying to knock one another out with the ball.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-28-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Flake voting yes pretty much gauranteed he’s on the court imo. He was the best indicator of how any questionable Republicans would vote
    but but but it will destroy the GOP!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Kavaugh has made it through Committee along party lines. When it was clear that this was going to happen, Booker and Harris abstained in protest to this vote.

How can Jeff Flake vote for Kavanaugh today after this?

Good question, why did Flake decide to vote with the other Republicans?
    Because this is a longterm victory for Republicans that supersedes many of their other priorities. This isn’t a small vote where Flake could break rank and have some cover because it’s a tough sell for him. This is decades of conservative influence on the court. This is the Republicans calling in the favor and letting everyone know that if you blow this for them you become a pariah and won’t last.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Before you know it, those F-150 trucks Denis Leary snarkily hawks in those TV commercials will cost as much, if not more than a low end Porsche. But hey, tariff wars are easy to win, Dolt45 said so!
    When Harley Davidson complained about this same metal tariff, they were easy to discount as they serve a niche market.

Let's see the reaction that Ford gets if they take matters into their own hands (either by raising prices or moving shop).

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    There was never any doubt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    but but but it will destroy the GOP!
    Hey, at least their side understands the importance of the Supreme Court...lol

Mighty Member

Did a search and found no references to his decision. Do you have a source? Just curious.
    No, my only source is that he's Joe Manchin, professional GOP bootlicker masquerading as a democrat.