Page 24 of 985 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124524 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As opposed to what?

- The guy that just got arrested?
    - The guys that just got ran out of Congress for sexual misconduct?
    As opposed to a former Secretary of State and Senator with real life White House experience.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Obamacare is dying because too many asshole Dems compromises on Blue Dogs.
    That is not what is putting Obamacare at risk currently at all. Stop making shit up, boo!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Space Force, of course.

As a history buff, I'd like to remind people that as goofy as Reagan's so-called "Star Wars" plan was, there was plausibility in an era where we genuinely thought we'd have moon colonies by 2010. Now, what's there to go after? Elon Musk's Tesla?

Considering the regression of scientific pursuits, coupled with an administration elected by and idolizes people who say "fuck science!", I shudder at who will join this thinking they'll be playing out ID4 by 2025.
    It arguably worked. It was partly responsible for panicking the Russians into spending so much on defence that the Russian empire crumbled.

Uncle Ronnie had the Midas Touch, not sure how he got things done, but he often succeeded. Mayhap luck. As Napoleon said “I’d sooner have lucky Generals than great tacticians”.

The other thing one has to say about him (Reagan) is that he had the grace to laugh at himself. By accident recently watched a clip of Don Rickles poking fun at him unmercifully...tears of laughter were running down Reagan’s face. He really enjoyed it. Can’t see Donald T reacting same way...
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-09-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Yesterday was our 10 wedding anniversary! So I did not post notes of the trial.

Here's the big takeaways from yesterday:

• Defense got on record that they didn't ask about Gate's affair. Team Mueller asked for it not to be brought up but Gates volunteered it up all on his own. That's why Team Mueller never objected.
    • Gates disclosed offshore accounts to FBI in 2014. Gates said he disclosed to the FBI some of the Cyprus and Grenadines bank accounts that he and Manafort used to receive payments from their Ukrainian benefactors.
    • Team Mueller showed that Gates hid income from offshore accounts in 2014 FBI interview.
    • Defense spent a lot of time taking about Gate's affair. We learned it last 5 months.
    • Defense tore into Gates about 4 other affairs and Gates got combative on the stand. Team Mueller objected due to relevancy to the case at hand. Judge made him answer. He said yes to 4 more affairs he had.
    • FinCEN agents took the stand.
    • They spent the afternoon matching wire numbers to each invoice and bank account Manafort had.
    • The PIN belonged to Manafort ... AND ... nobody ever saw his PIN. FinCEN cannot comment on how Gates got the PIN as that is part of the criminal trial.
    • Defense attempted to get an answer and the judge ruled another question about the other case and he will start tossing lawyers.
    • Computer IP address, phone records, bank cameras, emails and ATMs all showed Manafort personally inputted and transferred funds on all but 11 of the 200+ wire transfers. 10/11 were ID's as Gates. 1 was ID'd the withheld as it pertains to the criminal case against Manafort.
    • Judge tore into Team Mueller for asking about using charts and the speed in which they were going.
    • “Judges should be patient. They made a mistake when they confirmed me."
    • Defense showed FinCEN 2 documents that Manafort signed, trying to establish that the signatures didn't match.
    • Team Mueller countered with 2 bank statements signed, inside of a bank, that didn't match. Manafort was shown signing both, on camera. They looked the same to the 2 the defense entered as evidence.
    • Judge threw out the defenses' evidence and was angry about wasting everybody's time.
    • Judge said its up to the jury if they look the same or not.
    • FinCEN tied all the Cyprus, St. Vincent, and Grenadines accounts to Ukraine, Russia, and Manafort.
    • Manafort corrected his lawyers for pointing at the wrong evidence again and the judge chimed in, "When you commit fraud, be sure to smile for the camera."
    • Manafort's signature and PIN were established for all the wire transfers and accounts when Gates was in the USA and Manafort was in each of those places. Passport confirmed it. Many were day trips and established mere hours after the stamp.
    • IRS agents took the stand.
    • They showed documents, emails, phone records, bank statements, and ledgers that proved he not only didn't pay any foreign taxes, but was being audited in 2016 for not paying taxes, period.
    • Defense couldn't dispute it and argued that everybody at that income level forgets to pay taxes.
    • The judge laughed and asked Manafort if his criminal defense lawyers were better.
    • Team Mueller attempted to call an expert witness but the Judge lost it. Said he never approved one to sit in the stands. Team Mueller said the record would prove otherwise and the judge got livid.
    • Judge allowed the witness to take the stand but ended court for the day.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-09-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

AM Manafort trial updates #1:

Court began today with an apology from the bench.

The judge apologized because after reviewing the court record, he was wrong all 3 times Team Mueller said he was.

The latest one actually impacting their case.

“I was critical of counsel for … allowing an expert to remain in the courtroom. You may put that aside… I may well have been wrong.”

Team Mueller: "The Court’s sharp reprimand of government counsel in front of the jury on August 8 was therefore erroneous. And, while mistakes are a natural part of the trial process, the mistake here prejudiced the government by conveying to the jury that the government had acted improperly and had violated court rules or procedures. The exchange could very well lead the jury to reach two erroneous inferences: (a) that Mr. Welch’s testimony is not credible because he was improperly privy to the testimony of other witnesses, and (b) that the government sought to secure an unfair advantage by secreting its expert in the courtroom without permission . . . This prejudice should be cured.”

Judge: "I was probably wrong. I am like any human, and this robe doesn’t make me any more than a human. Any criticism of counsel should be put aside; it doesn’t have anything to do with this case.”

Today will be the parade of bankers.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-09-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We get that racism and homophobia are negative traits, but if a statement comes across as an exaggeration, it's not going to convince anyone. If they look at current political fights and don't see efforts to ban same same sex marriage, they're going to be more likely to dismiss your arguments.
    Yeah, we're too busy talking about more important issues, like why your party is corrupt to the core with multiple rich guys using their place in Congress to commit further insider trading, refusing to impeach a treasonous madman, and far too comfortable with locking children in cages. Also, that their long time political donor, the NRA, was infiltrated by the Russians as easily as someone can get a trained dog to roll over.

And, I'm still not exaggerating. It feels like I should be, but I'm not.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yesterday was our 10 wedding anniversary! So I did not post notes of the trial.

Here's the big takeaways from yesterday:
    Happy anniversary, and thanks for taking the time to update us!
    Last edited by zinderel; 08-09-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Gay Marriage was a Supreme Court thing. Obamacare is dying because too many asshole Dems compromises on Blue Dogs. Oh and people are dying anyways.
    1) Don't move the Goalposts, the SCOTUS is still part of the country going 'right'.

2)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    That is not what is putting Obamacare at risk currently at all. Stop making shit up, boo!
    & 3) I'll slot "People are dying anyways!" under 'Excuses you never expect an actual liberal to say' for $600.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, this is an interesting development...

https://wgntv.com/2018/08/09/tribune...files-lawsuit/
    Well that's some good news.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pence outlines plan for new Space Force by 2020

Let's see now: Our roads, bridges and other vital infrastructure are crumbling like nobody's business; millions of people from coast to coast are homeless, hungry and sick; teachers don't have the resources needed to properly educate our children; Flint STILL doesn't have drinkable water; Puerto Rico (a U.S. territory don't forget) is still in pieces; and our brave veterans who sacrificed for our country want for decent health care and often can't get it. And yet, this government, with it's bootlicking, asskissing Republicans bending over backwards 24/7 to satisfy the warped whims of a psychopathic president is stepping up to flush billions down the toilet on this Space Force bullshit. Could somebody, ANYBODY tell me how this makes even a lick of sense?
    As a Former Air Force vet. I'd be interested in such a thing If I wasn't blowing tires once a year because my roads suck, and I fear drinking water when I travel to certain cities, and my daughter currently in the Air Force Academy goign to fight in a war to benefit rich assholes.

I'm just saying.

https://www.apnews.com/aae15528a9fe415282402c4e14090c75

APNewsBreak: Green Party candidate was on state GOP payroll

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A man who registered as a Green Party candidate for Montana’s U.S. Senate race was on the state Republican Party’s payroll and heads a newly formed anti-tax group, according to a review of election documents.

Timothy Adams filed as a challenger Monday against Democratic Sen. Jon Tester, who faces a tough re-election campaign, in a race where a Green Party candidate could siphon votes from the Democrat.

The Green Party qualified as a political party in Montana on Monday, which was also the state’s deadline for candidates to file for office. Green Party officials blasted an email that morning to solicit candidates who could register by the day’s end.
    This seems like something we need to talk about.

BANNED

Tuesday night, Half of the Justice Democrats and Half of Our Revolution won the night.
    I wonder why Politico hates Progressives and lied in this article?

Bernie and his army are losing 2018
    Sanders missed the boat on Ocasio-Cortez, then watched his endorsed candidates fall on Tuesday — a sign that his sway is limited heading into 2020.

David Siders juts outright lied in the article. I love the people on Twitter shitting on him.

Also, a total of 18 Justice Democrats are heading to Congress or to the General. I don't know why the media never mentions this. Must be their "Liberal" Bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Gross. But...it's a Republican pulling an, if not criminal, then at LEAST immoral, slimy, underhanded, manipulative garbage person act.

Quelle suprise...

We learned shortly after the apology the stakes Manafort is facing.

Gates received leniency from his 80 - 290 years in prison for pleading guilty to lesser charges and he gets the possibility of probation with his 10 - 40 years he will now be facing.

Manafort is looking at 30 - 60 years, no probation. If found guilty, he will die in prison more likely than not. That's just for the fraud case. He's staring at 120 to life in the criminal case.

If pardoned, he will still face 25 - 35 years, no probation. Another 40 - 60 in the criminal case.

Judge questioned the strength of pardon in this case. He said it sounds "impotent" to use here.

"The government clearly knows what it's doing here, for once." Everyone laughed except the defense.

Citizens Bank was called first.

Team Mueller entered documents that showed Manafort claimed his Manhattan property was a ‘second residence’ while obtaining $3.4M loan.

Emails showed the length Manafort went to defraud Citizens Bank.

Manafort was essentially seeking to refinance so he could get cash for the equity in the property.

Team Mueller submitted mortgage documents Manafort signed and emails Manafort wrote attaching documents to support his loan application.

Team Mueller showed emails demonstrating Manafort’s direct involvement.

Team Mueller repeatedly flashed instances in which Manafort affixed his signature to passages asserting that the information he was submitting was accurate, and that if he had knowingly provided something that was false, he could face civil or criminal penalties.

Manafort said the 29 Howard Street property was a “secondary residence” that generated no rental income.

Citizens Bank testified that though all the applications Manafort submitted indicated his property on 29 Howard St. was a second residence, their research indicated otherwise.

The bank said that as they were processing the loan, they went to a website called StreetEasy to confirm the address.

“It was listed for rent.”

Team Mueller presented emails and correspondence from Manafort to show he had direct knowledge of the fraudulent transactions.

Manafort emailed Citizens Bank on Jan. 21, 2016 to ask about the status of the loan.

“Has the appraisal been ordered? . . . What are the next steps,” Manafort wrote.

“Our research shows that the property was listed for rent (which it cannot be),” the banker's boss wrote in a reply and requested additional documents.

Manafort listed a lease agreement for the property that indicated his daughter and her husband at the time lived at the residence. In a Feb. 2, 2016, letter justifying why he was applying for the loan, Manafort said the Howard Street property “is used as a second home for us.

Team Mueller alluded to a 2015 tax return, in which the property was listed as a rental that generated about $100k in income.

The bank testified that had Manafort listed the Howard Street property as a rental, it could have impacted the outcome of his loan application.

The banker also testified that Manafort lied about his Brooklyn mortgage to get a loan.

The banker said that in emails Manafort indicated he owned the Carroll Gardens home “free and clear,” but insurance declarations showed a mortgage on the property.

The banker said that in conversations and emails with Manafort’s employee Rick Gates, she was made to understand that a loan against the property had been approved but not finalized.

Manafort was copied on those emails.

Gates sent her a new email, again copying Manafort, showing there was no mortgage on the property and attaching insurance documents “reflecting the correct information.”

The policy attached was actually older than the one the banker originally saw, but she said she did not realize that at the time.

The banker said Manafort signed a loan application in March, affirming there was no mortgage on the house.

As part of the negotiations, the banker said Citizens Bank also got documentation from Manafort’s accountant saying a $1.5M loan from Peranova Holdings Ltd. had been forgiven.

They never saw that letter.

After a short break, the defense tried to sort out Manafort's statements to the bank while seeking the loans.

Cross examination showed teh length of time a loan takes and that finances can change.

The banker testified that she was tipped to a possible mortgage on another property, located on Union Street in New York, because of insurance documentation.

The banker testified that Gates told her the other property did not have a mortgage because Manafort had elected not to go through with it.

Defense pointed to an email that showed Manafort actually told the banker on Feb. 24, 2016, that a mortgage had just been “approved” on the Union Street property ... which was after the banker had received the insurance documents and raised questions about why Manafort had initially told the bank the Union Street property did not have a mortgage.

The banker testified that Gates called her later that day and told her he and Manafort were “not moving forward” with the mortgage on the Union Street property.

The banker reconciled that with what Manafort had told her earlier because she assumed the word “approved” meant Manafort was in the process of shopping around for mortgages on the Union Street property and had received an initial go-ahead from a bank. In fact, Manafort had closed on a mortgage there.

Defense said the FBI have a report of the banker telling them that Gates told her the Union Street mortgage had been paid off, but the banker testified that was not her recollection of her conversation with the FBI.

The banker testified that after her call with Gates on Feb. 24, 2016, Gates sent her more insurance documentation, which did not list a mortgage on the Union Street property. That documentation, though, was older than what she had seen previously.

The banker testified she did not notice that at the time.

Defense: “When he’s unreachable, Rick Gates is the person to deal with, correct?” She affirmed.

Team Mueller: “What’s the purpose of having people sign the documents at closing.”

Banker: “To confirm the information is correct.”

Manafort email to son-in-law about an appraiser coming to the property: “Remember, he believes that you and Jessica are living there.”
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-09-2018 at 04:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Almost as bad a Kobachs on Tuesday night. But the AP just wrote a REAL Shitty non factual Fact check on Medicare for all. So I'm taking them with a grain of salt or two.