Page 355 of 985 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365405455855 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I should think it would be a lot less of a nightmare than the current wording is. Ostensibly, the only requirement would be citizenship, which is a fairly easy thing for which to legally account. The "birthright" thing is... questionable.
    I don't think that that is true. There are millions of people that are United States citizens as a result of, not just undocumented immigrants, but legal residents of the United States. If we end birthright citizenship and only extend legal citizenship to those who have at least one parent who is a United States citizen (current naturalization law at works for being born abroad--why Ted Cruz could've potentially been president in spite of his Canadian birth), that places these people in legal limbo. They don't really have a country to go back to (ostensibly their parents are no longer really citizens of that country, as most here with green cards are pursuing citizenship) but are no longer citizens here. Furthermore, how does this situation really work for children of now-citizens who had them while they were merely legal residents? Do these children then have to pursue citizenship tests of their own? Trump obviously would like to make this retroactive--how does that work for people who have now been employed and work in our economic marketplace with legal protections of citizens with all the rights of citizenship? Is it going to be proactive in nature? What separates being born on American soil from being born abroad.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Well, a week of Trump acting like a monster in the face of terror attacks against Democrats and Jews has made his approval rating in the Gallup poll drop sharply, from a net -6 to -14.

Rasmussen, probably expecting that, had his approval go up a few points into positive territory.
    When the markets are down is a good time to consider investing in a ROTH IRA.
    Do some research and proceed with caution, but think about it. When they're at the bottom there's nowhere to go but up.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I don't think that that is true. There are millions of people that are United States citizens as a result of, not just undocumented immigrants, but legal residents of the United States. If we end birthright citizenship and only extend legal citizenship to those who have at least one parent who is a United States citizen (current naturalization law at works for being born abroad--why Ted Cruz could've potentially been president in spite of his Canadian birth), that places these people in legal limbo. They don't really have a country to go back to (ostensibly their parents are no longer really citizens of that country, as most here with green cards are pursuing citizenship) but are no longer citizens here. Furthermore, how does this situation really work for children of now-citizens who had them while they were merely legal residents? Do these children then have to pursue citizenship tests of their own? Trump obviously would like to make this retroactive--how does that work for people who have now been employed and work in our economic marketplace with legal protections of citizens with all the rights of citizenship? Is it going to be proactive in nature? What separates being born on American soil from being born abroad.
    Why should he just stop at one Constitutional violation when he can do two or more? Although Trump and his originalist lackeys on the SCOTUS might declare that the Ex Post Facto clauses in the Constitution only apply to Congress and the States, leaving out the executive branch (which isn't supposed to be able to pass laws anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    When the markets are down is a good time to consider investing in a ROTH IRA.
    Do some research and proceed with caution, but think about it. When they're at the bottom there's nowhere to go but up.
    What makes you think we are at a bottom? A big Bear is due and Trump is doing his best to crash the economy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Why should he just stop at one Constitutional violation when he can do two or more? Although Trump and his originalist lackeys on the SCOTUS might declare that the Ex Post Facto clauses in the Constitution only apply to Congress and the States, leaving out the executive branch (which isn't supposed to be able to pass laws anyways).
    And I maintain Trump is probably looking for a loophole that would do away with the law that says a president can only serve two terms. I've said here for the longest time that Trump will NEVER be more powerful than he is right now, anyone who thinks he'll just walk away from the Oval Office without a fight, legal or otherwise is delusional.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Special counsel Robert Mueller accuses opponents of offering women money to make 'false claims' about him

Special counsel Robert Mueller has referred to the FBI allegations that women were "offered money" to make "false claims" about him, a spokesman said Tuesday.
    "When we learned last week of allegations that women were offered money to make false claims about the Special Counsel, we immediately referred the matter to the FBI for investigation." spokesman Peter Carr says.
    Burkman has frequently called on President Donald Trump to fire Mueller, along with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees the special counsel, and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who had recused himself from interfering in the probe. He even offered a $25,000 reward to any whistleblower who could offer concrete evidence of FBI wrongdoing in those investigations, The Washington Times reported in February.

The special counsel's office confirmed to CNBC that it learned about the "scheme" from journalists who had been approached by a woman alleging that she had been offered $20,000 by Burkman "to make accusations of sexual misconduct and workplace harassment against Robert Mueller."

Burkman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a Facebook video also posted Tuesday, Burkman claimed "we will unveil the first of the sex assault victims of Robert Mueller." In the video, Burkman said the "first" alleged accuser is "coming out this Thursday at high noon."

He added: "Robert Mueller is a bad guy not just because of what he does inside the courtroom, but because of what he does outside the courtroom."

DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores referred inquiries back to the special counsel. The FBI declined to comment on Carr's statement.

You know, I'm rather surprised it took this long for some conservative shitstain to try a scummy move like this. Lord have mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You know, I'm rather surprised it took this long for some conservative shitstain to try a scummy move like this. Lord have mercy.
    Cohen mentioned this in his plea deal. Trump is paranoid because he thinks women that target him are paid, not that he's a terrible person.

Also, Cohen sent this out when Wohl and Burkman tried this earlier this year:

Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-30-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Trump vows to challenge Constitution's grant of citizenship for any child born in the U.S.

Omar Jadwat, director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Immigrants’ Rights Project, accused Trump of trying to “sow division and fan the flames of anti-immigrant hatred in the days ahead of the midterms.”

“The president cannot erase the Constitution with an executive order, and the 14th Amendment’s citizenship guarantee is clear,” he said.

The Republican House leader, Speaker Paul D. Ryan, agreed. "You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order," he reportedly told WVLK Radio in Lexington, Ky.

Two people close to the administration who spoke anonymously said Tuesday that the policy had been in discussion for weeks, before the Pittsburgh synagogue shootings. The idea is being driven by Stephen Miller, Trump’s most hard-line antii-immigration advisor, both people said.
    Another Stephen Miller driven insanity, like Zero Tolerance and the immigration ban of 2017.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Trump vows to challenge Constitution's grant of citizenship for any child born in the U.S.

Another Stephen Miller driven insanity, like Zero Tolerance and the immigration ban of 2017.
    I'm gonna laugh when this ends with a bunch of people like Trump, Miller, etc. getting deported. Do they not realize that they're not citizens by their own weird ass definition?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm gonna laugh when this ends with a bunch of people like Trump, Miller, etc. getting deported. Do they not realize that they're not citizens by their own weird ass definition?
    There are always loopholes and exceptions for rich white people.

Gonna throw out an idea - I think Stephen Miller sees himself as an early Vladimir Putin By this, I mean he sees himself as the man behind the power who is planning on overthrowing the government and undermining democracy then he'll take over.

I knew it! This mess had Kid Jackboot’s fingerprints all over it!

Gonna throw out an idea - I think Stephen Miller sees himself as an early Vladimir Putin By this, I mean he sees himself as the man behind the power who is planning on overthrowing the government and undermining democracy then he'll take over.
    While everything is shitty right now, I don't see that ever happening.

While everything is shitty right now, I don't see that ever happening.
    I agree, however, if it was possible to sneak a peak at Miller's innermost dreams, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees himself that way.