Page 386 of 985 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436486886 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,790 of 14769
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

One man's uninformed opinion after last night's elections: While the mythical "Blue Wave" wasn't as massive as predicted, it still resulted in a hell of a lot of water in Republican basements after Democrats reclaimed the House. Even though the Senate was probably never within reach, the Dems can now put a check on Trump's agenda, harass him with investigations into Russia and all his grifting (a.k.a. thumbing his nose at the emoluments clause) and keep Congress from being a rubber stamp for any whim that comes to his warped mind. I'd say that's more than good enough for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    One man's uninformed opinion after last night's elections: While the mythical "Blue Wave" wasn't as massive as predicted, it still resulted in a hell of a lot of water in Republican basements after Democrats reclaimed the House. Even though the Senate was probably never within reach, the Dems can now put a check on Trump's agenda, harass him with investigations into Russia and all his grifting (a.k.a. thumbing his nose at the emoluments clause) and keep Congress from being a rubber stamp for any whim that comes to his warped mind. I'd say that's more than good enough for me.
    Imagine if Mueller's report had dropped BEFORE the election. He's better than that, though, to make it a political agenda, and wants it to remain outside of politics. But still... the Senate probably would have flipped.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Only if Democrats actually hold the line and don't go off seeking compromises and bipartisan solutions and getting burned like they always do. There's little chance of advancing a meaningful policy agenda right now anyway, so there's no reason not to exploit the ratfucking potential to its logical extreme.

The blue wave simply didn't exist. All this, "it wasn't as big as it could have been but it was still great!" talk is well... typical internet democrat talking points for accepting mediocrity. Hopefully at the local level it was better but at the national level it just wasn't there.

Spent two years telling everyone how important it was to vote and... it is basically the same ****. this reminds me the "vote or die" era that also produced diddly piddly

Houses flip all the time. I don't see how this round was special.

Trump and the GOP got to do trump things with barely any repercussions. they got their 2 years of control in, got their judges in, and now have 2 years to blame the democrats in the house for obstructing trump from making america great again right in time for his re-election campaign.

Maybe I am just being post election pessimistic because my state is now hard GOP despite being a "swing" state and I wasted 3K on a candidate that lost to a guy that called him a monkey on air and got away with it.

Never again. back to shrugging my shoulders. Probably might go buy a gun though (since stand your ground isnt' going anywhere now) because I imagine the trump hate talk is gonna get wosre and more white peopel are gonna go crazy.

Now I just need to find a really good excuse not to travel back to indiana for xmas...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The blue wave simply didn't exist. All this, "it wasn't as big as it could have been but it was still great!" talk is well... typical internet democrat talking points for accepting mediocrity. Hopefully at the local level it was better but at the national level it just wasn't there.

Spent two years telling everyone how important it was to vote and... it is basically the same ****. this reminds me the "vote or die" era that also produced diddly piddly

Trump and the GOP got to do trump things with barely any repercussions. they got their 2 years of control in, got their judges in, and now have 2 years to blame the democrats in the house for obstructing trump from making america great again right in time for his re-election campaign.

Maybe I am just being post election pessimistic because my state is now hard GOP despite being a "swing" state and I wasted 3K on a candidate that lost to a guy that called him a monkey on air and got away with it.

Never again. back to shrugging my shoulders. Probably might go buy a gun though (since stand your ground isnt' going anywhere now) because I imagine the trump hate talk is gonna get wosre and more white peopel are gonna go crazy.

Now I just need to find a really good excuse not to travel back to indiana for xmas...
    You put that like it's past tense.

If anything, the new Senate numbers put them in a better position to do certain things.

Mixed feelings, nationally it was a modest win rather than a wave. Taking back the house was a good first step, but no kind of mandate against Trump. It's good, but I kind of fell for the hype despite my better instincts.

Locally however was amazing. The one downside was Republicans still control the Michigan house/senate BUT crucially the Anti-Gerrymandering vote passed so they will not be in charge of creating districts going forward. Pot was legalized, also the Ease of voting proposal. Great night overall.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You put that like it's past tense.

If anything, the new Senate numbers put them in a better position to do certain things.
    Like continuing to **** over the American people in order to enrich billionaires and keep whites and evangelicals happy? THOSE certain things, thirty?

Astonishing Member

It largely what was predicted by pollsters. Again if you if thought the Senate was in play that's your fault not paying attention.

Whether they make you 'feel good' or not these local gains are important, arguably more so than the Senate and White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Mixed feelings, nationally it was a modest win rather than a wave. Taking back the house was a good first step, but no kind of mandate against Trump. It's good, but I kind of fell for the hype despite my better instincts.

Locally however was amazing. The one downside was Republicans still control the Michigan house/senate BUT crucially the Anti-Gerrymandering vote passed so they will not be in charge of creating districts going forward. Pot was legalized, also the Ease of voting proposal. Great night overall.
    Gerrymandering and voter suppression is the key. That as many Democrats won House seats despite that is a good sign. It's like sunning a marathon when the ground suddenly become sextremely steep, someone spills tart in the center for the road, you find a tractor trailer flipped on it's side and blocking the road, and then you and your fellow runners are pelted by paint balls.

Yet you keep running. Once enough reach the end, more are avaialble ti end voter suppression in their states. The fact that the Democrats picked up more Governorships is very important. Espcially with the 2020 census in a few years. The more democratic governors, then better the chance of freeing up voters to vote.

And to anyone who says Democrats gerrymander too, I'd remind them that democrast do best when everyone votes. Democrats have mor to agin from a free, fair, and open election than Republicans do.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    It largely what was predicted by pollsters. Again if you if thought the Senate was in play that's your fault not paying attention.

Whether they make you 'feel good' or not these local gains are important, arguably more so than the Senate and White House.
    The fact that most of the Republicans who won Senate Seats had to fight for it, says something. It's says that the Republicans may still have ocntol of the Senate, but if they continue to act like Trump-Butt kissing idiots, that control won't last long.

The following Senators are up for reelction in 2021

Democrats
    Booker, Cory A. (D-NJ)
    Coons, Christopher A. (D-DE)
    Durbin, Richard J. (D-IL)
    Jones, Doug (D-AL)
    Markey, Edward J. (D-MA)
    Merkley, Jeff (D-OR)
    Peters, Gary C. (D-MI)
    Reed, Jack (D-RI)
    Shaheen, Jeanne (D-NH)
    Smith, Tina (D-MN)
    Udall, Tom (D-NM)
    Warner, Mark R. (D-VA)

Republicans
    Alexander, Lamar (R-TN)
    Capito, Shelley Moore (R-WV)
    Cassidy, Bill (R-LA)
    Collins, Susan M. (R-ME)
    Cornyn, John (R-TX)
    Cotton, Tom (R-AR)
    Daines, Steve (R-MT)
    Enzi, Michael B. (R-WY)
    Ernst, Joni (R-IA)
    Gardner, Cory (R-CO)
    Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)
    Hyde-Smith, Cindy (R-MS)
    Inhofe, James M. (R-OK)
    McConnell, Mitch (R-KY)
    Perdue, David (R-GA)
    Risch, James E. (R-ID)
    Roberts, Pat (R-KS)
    Rounds, Mike (R-SD)
    Sasse, Ben (R-NE)
    Sullivan, Dan (R-AK)
    Tillis, Thom (R-NC)

This time around there would be more Republicans at risk than Democrats.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The fact that most of the Republicans who won Senate Seats had to fight for it, says something. It's says that the Republicans may still have ocntol of the Senate, but if they continue to act like Trump-Butt kissing idiots, that control won't last long.
    Yeah, I don't agree with this optimism at all.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

So right Tami, the GOP got about the most favorable electoral map possible. If the Party split was 50/50, the Dems would now control the Senate.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Only if Democrats actually hold the line and don't go off seeking compromises and bipartisan solutions and getting burned like they always do. There's little chance of advancing a meaningful policy agenda right now anyway, so there's no reason not to exploit the ratfucking potential to its logical extreme.
    I certainly hope Democrats DO go that route and turn the GOP's dirty tricks back on them. Compromise and bipartisanship, in other words, playing nice is a non-starter in every sense of the word because Republicans will stab them in the back the first chance they get. Democrats will have no choice but to climb down into the mudpit and fight, and they damn well BETTER do just that!

Mighty Member

I consider last night a victory, especially since it went waaay better than I was expecting. Some of my main wishes, aside from lots of dems winning, was for Corey Stewart to be sent packing, and that happened gloriously, and for AOC to win handily, which she demolished the other dude. Others, like Beto, Randy Bryce, Stacy Abrams, well those didn't pan out. At least Beto was close, and that's something.

I'm not convinced things will go well on election night in 2020, but I'm maybe a little less pessimistic about it than I was. Last night showed that at least some of this country still has some sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

This is what GOP want. They want minorities and democrats to feel like their vote doesn't matter and just stay at home and not participate. That's one thing I like about the Beto race here in Texas. Like you i spent more than I ever have supporting him and his campaign. And no he didn't win but it MATTERED. His effect has been given credit down the ballot to flipping other house seats with his turnout and energizing the voters. He also got Texas democrats talking about the issues, and he got out a whole lot of voters that have never voted before or never bother outside Presidential elections.

Some of the guys at work today so far they are happy Cruz won but they are shook that Beto got so close and are talking about the flipped seats, and local elections that were down ballot. This is KEY for Democrats everywhere. They need to harness that in local and state elections focus getting back these governorships and stop and reverse all the gerrymandering and suppression GOP have been getting away with.

Democrats as we have seen LIKE more voters, welcome open and younger electorate so its just a fact of what the Democrats stand for that elections will be more open and less punitive in terms of allowing votes and turnout. GOP want to keep minorities feeling powerless and disenfranchised they never try to expand their base, they try to suppress the democratic strengths instead. Appealing to the worst of their base. To a certain extent it does work. Look at Georgia and Kemp and Florida. But, exceptional high turnout can get over some of that too.

It is the double edged sword of the Democratic party. Its open and dependent on minorities and younger voters. But, its so much effort getting that vote out every single election. On the other hand GOP relies on and just covets their same old older white base, the difference is you don't have to work so hard for them to vote. they vote all the time and consistently.