Page 407 of 985 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417457507907 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,105 of 14769
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This is the second biggest reason why I left the Republican party and one that will need to stop before I can consider going back. They have become the anti democracy party, and I refuse to be counted among that.

The number one reason Is Benedict Donald, but even if he is gone before the tern is up other issues remain. Abandoning democracy, the free market, and embracing racism mainly.
    Out of curiosity, what is it that attracted you to the republican party to begin with? Most of what Trump's administration is doing now is just loudly and vulgarly doing what the GOP has been doing or trying to do quietly for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is it that attracted you to the republican party to begin with? Most of what Trump's administration is doing now is just loudly and vulgarly doing what the GOP has been doing or trying to do quietly for decades.
    I grew up in far upstate NY, in the Adirondack park when Mario Cuomo was the governor. The agency which runs the park (which contains a ton of private land) was made up exclusively of people who didn't live in it, and whose head at the time was caught on camera while on a helicopter tour pointing at private homes yelling "I want that one! And that! And that!" like some sort of cartoon villain.

Add in Mario running a bunch of ads touting all the good things he did for "Upstate" which included nothing north of Poughkeepsie (30 minutes North of NYC - if you look at a map of the state it's in the part which juts out south from the rest of the state) and was so obviously the Governor of NYC only that in his fijnal election Republican Rudy Guiliani endorsed him over the Republican challenger.

Which is also part of the reason I get so angry at the often repeated lie that upstate NY begins at the sign saying "You are now leaving NYC" - that idiotic belief really has had a negative impact on my life.

Taxes where I used to live were pretty much a second mortgage payment for any homeowner, mainly driven by the state deciding on new stuff to be paid for by not them (the unfunded mandate) and the additional fact that the Republican party in my area was one of the last groups in it to go crazy (what few moderates survive in Congress all seem to be in the Northeast, and my city actually had an openly gay Republican Mayor for several years) and that covers much of it. If you want to see dirty Democratic politics look to NY, birthplace of Tammany Hall. People whose lives were negatively impacted by that are going to gravitate towards the opposition.

Didnt tammany hall die in the 50s effectively?
    Tbf though most republicans whom arent on the trump train tend to join because of local politics which makes sense....but is kind of a shitty reflection of the US Political system, because your guy does a good job means your lumped in with crazytown residents instead of it being a more unified thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    but is kind of a shitty reflection of the US Political system
    Yeah, we are a country that was by design intended to benefit rich white men, from the very start.

It seems like the best we can hope for sometimes is to just temper the stranglehold those original ideas have on contemporary America. Which isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Yeah, we are a country that was by design intended to benefit rich white men, from the very start.

It seems like the best we can hope for sometimes is to just temper the stranglehold those original ideas have on contemporary America. Which isn't easy.
    Its a system over 200 years old thats been patched multiple times long after it should have been scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    And let's not forget the first native American and two Muslims elected to Congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Muslim women, because there were two Muslim men... but yeah.
    Young Kim, the first Korean immigrant to be elected is a huge deal, too. Wonder why everyone keeps leaving her out?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I find it difficult to rule out incompetence with the Trump administration.

It seemed possible that they saw a video on Infowars, and posted it without checking if it was doctored.

Buzzfeed has come up with a different explanation for discrepancies. It could just be the result of a change in format, from a high-quality video to a low-quality GIF.
    Stop making excuses for their evil, lying asses mets. It's easy to rule out. If it was incompetence they would have corrected themselves immediately and reinstated Acosta. Instead they remained the fascists they are.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Stop making excuses for their evil, lying asses mets. It's easy to rule out. If it was incompetence they would have corrected themselves immediately and reinstated Acosta. Instead they remained the fascists they are.
    As I said, everyone on the right bends over backwards to excuse, support, or empower Trump. ESPECIALLY when they claim to oppose him one moment yet do nothing tangible to oppose/work against him in the slightest.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m surprised there’s never been a concerted effort, especially by victims of gun violence to sue the NRA out of existence. The best way to stop these bastards is to hit them in the wallet like Mike Tyson used to hit tomato cans in his prime.
    The NRA did get a lawsuit slapped on them this year by the State of New York that they claim has had an adverse effect on the finances. Like you, I think people need to start filing lawsuits. If you live in a state that allows mentally ill people to own a gun, you should be able to hold the state liable for any deaths or injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Actually, incompetence (because they supported his side) is always a good explanation with the Trump Defenestration. However, they are not in the business of admitting to any mistakes, except for one that Woodward reported Trump admitted privately. That being - condemning 'both sides' because that included the Nazis as well as the left.

In other words, they seem to be both incompetent AND evil. And I'm thankful that if I have to deal with the latter, at least it is packaged up with the first as well. Of course, it might also be because they KNOW the base will support them no matter what, so they can troll everyone else while tossing their own a bone. Which is also difficult to discount with Putin's Puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Which will be even funnier of you read the article. The attempt to discredit Mueller might entrench him instead. Where's that "you played yourself" file?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Which will be even funnier of you read the article. The attempt to discredit Mueller might entrench him instead. Where's that "you played yourself" file?
    I think I'll let Obama step in for the DJ on this one:

EDIT TO ADD:
    Now even stronger wording is being used.

Judges order Mueller to explain impact of Sessions-Whitaker DOJ shakeup.

They're just going to move ahead like nothing changed.

Rod is the man.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The NRA did get a lawsuit slapped on them this year by the State of New York that they claim has had an adverse effect on the finances. Like you, I think people need to start filing lawsuits. If you live in a state that allows mentally ill people to own a gun, you should be able to hold the state liable for any deaths or injuries.
    And the NRA now says they're hurting for money. Maybe that's why we haven't heard much from them after the last couple of mass shootings. So it is happening, but it's not happening overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Young Kim, the first Korean immigrant to be elected is a huge deal, too. Wonder why everyone keeps leaving her out?
    Good luck to her. I listened to a interview with her and she seemed decent enough. Had a hard time wrangeling questions about trump and other republicans in her state. Sooner or later it's gonna have to be address if people like her want a foothold in the party.