Page 537 of 985 FirstFirst ... 37437487527533534535536537538539540541547587637 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,055 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We're about to cross another Death Cross.

The last key death cross is poised to engulf the stock market.

All 3 major stock market indices are now down for the year. The Dow is now around 1,100 points lower than where it started 2018, a drop of ~5%. What this has done is that bond prices began the week slightly higher being supported by the final Death Cross plunge but gutted the market and will began to affect raises and new jobs ... FAST. It is due in part to uncertainty surrounding rate hikes, those stupid tax cuts, and fears of slowing global growth.

The Economic President, Donald J. Trump everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    It's now very close to the lowest point of the year (and lower than at the start of the year). Trump has been oddly silent about the markets.
    I heard a market analyst on the radio today say that we're on pace for the worst month of December for the American economy since the Great Depression. That's obviously a low point, and we're talking about NINETY years of history to be the lowest point since.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I heard a market analyst on the radio today say that we're on pace for the worst month of December for the American economy since the Great Depression. That's obviously a low point, and we're talking about NINETY years of history to be the lowest point since.
    The Great Depression is arguably the LOWEST point. And the Trump Slump is only beaten by that. I'd say I have had enough of winning, but I crossed that point in January 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Great Depression is arguably the LOWEST point. And the Trump Slump is only beaten by that. I'd say I have had enough of winning, but I crossed that point in January 2016.
    How was he coming to that conclusion?

I'd put a whole box of jellybeans down that every year of the Great Depression, except for 1929, probably had far worse unemployment numbers than 2018.

Edit: Checked a couple of articles(including a pretty sweet "Chicken Little" piece with Ron Paul). They are talking strictly markets?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-17-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Conservatism’s Monstrous Endgame
    Apparatchiks are corroding the foundations of democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/o...eep-state.html

NYT Opinion column by Paul Krugman.

The midterm elections were, to an important extent, a referendum on the Affordable Care Act; health care, not Donald Trump, dominated Democratic campaigning. And voters delivered a clear verdict: They want Obamacare’s achievements, the way it expanded coverage to roughly 20 million people who would otherwise have been uninsured, to be sustained.

But on Friday, Reed O’Connor, a partisan Republican judge known for “weaponizing” his judicial power, declared the A.C.A. as a whole — protection for pre-existing conditions, subsidies to help families afford coverage, and the Medicaid expansion — unconstitutional. Legal experts from both right and left ridiculed his reasoning and described his ruling as “raw political activism.” And that ruling probably won’t be sustained by higher courts.

But don’t be too sure that his sabotage will be overturned. O’Connor’s abuse of power may be unusually crude, but that sort of behavior is becoming increasingly common. And it’s not just health care, nor is it just the courts. What Nancy Pelosi called the “monstrous endgame” of the Republican assault on health care is just the leading edge of an attack on multiple fronts, as the G.O.P. tries to overturn the will of the voters and undermine democracy in general.

BANNED

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After that judge’s ruling on the ACA, Democrats need to make healthcare their war cry for 2020 and attack every last motherfucking Republican up for election who’s been against Obamacare.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I love how "Compassionate" Conservatives try to make Single Payer a Scary Boogeyman, then get slapped down by Actual Conservatives who understand how the world works HAHAHA!

Democrats’ ‘Medicare for All’ Idea is Horribly Misleading
    The proper comparison isn't to Medicare but another government health program that isn't faring so well.

The Comment section is AWESOME!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    After that judge’s ruling on the ACA, Democrats need to make healthcare their war cry for 2020 and attack every last motherfucking Republican up for election who’s been against Obamacare.
    I just posted an article about how even Conservatives are like naw Dawg, we want ACTUAL healthcare.

VOX has a somewhat decent article. But then Ezra falls into the "HOW WILL THEY PAY FOR IT!" shit so many in the media bellow.

Still a good read though. Democrats need to REALLY show some spine.

The 3 decisions that will shape Medicare-for-all
    What will Democrats do about the filibuster, the financing, and private insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I just posted an article about how even Conservatives are like naw Dawg, we want ACTUAL healthcare.

VOX has a somewhat decent article. But then Ezra falls into the "HOW WILL THEY PAY FOR IT!" shit so many in the media bellow.

Still a good read though. Democrats need to REALLY show some spine.

The 3 decisions that will shape Medicare-for-all
    What will Democrats do about the filibuster, the financing, and private insurance?
    The one thing articles like this ignore is also a pretty big one that Krugman discusses in his Opinion piece.

The Courts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The one thing articles like this ignore is also a pretty big one that Krugman discusses in his Opinion piece.

The Courts.
    Agreed. ANY strategy going forward HAS to include the courts. We need to pack them.

Unfortunately, even if we can stop the packing of the courts ongoing (this is why they held so many slots vacant for so long) it'll be decades of work before we can reverse the supreme court's rightward slant.

Equally unfortunate is that we're going to have a difficult road ahead. People will need to remember 'It's the Courts, stupid' and not let themselves be distracted again.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-18-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Two things that seem to constantly pop up to me.

Americans fucking hate paying tax. Why I dont know, your politicians use this as a weapon frequently whilst the voterbase seem to ignore the fact that it covers them as well. Healthcare, infrastructure, food stamps, wellfare. They're for literally everyone as saftey nets. Instead theres this incredibly weird idea that its not really needed and the government just does it to steal from you. I respect that there have been many instances of politicans and the government using the money in a corrupt manner or outright wasting it....but its never on those essential things. I mean you dont stop having water and heating in your home just because the plumbers shit at his job right ? Yoy just hire a different plumber.

Secondly Conservatism seems to have warped from "Slow advancement" (Ie: Obamacare with its 'Universal healrhcare in the future, lets acclimatise it with the system now' kind of
    schtick) to fill out "No advancement" which is crippling. As ww can see from the social ills that constantly turn up.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Unfortunately, even if we can stop the packing of the courts ongoing (this is why they held so many slots vacant for so long) it'll be decades of work before we can reverse the supreme court's rightward slant.

Unfortunately, we're going to have a difficult road ahead. People will need to remember 'It's the Courts, stupid' and not let themselves be distracted again.
    Totally agree. McConnell began long before the 2016 election, purposely not giving Obama's candidates any hearings or dragging them out so he got in as few as possible. IMO this tactic should be nullified somehow so that neither side can abuse the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Two things that seem to constantly pop up to me.

Americans fucking hate paying tax. Why I dont know, your politicians use this as a weapon frequently whilst the voterbase seem to ignore the fact that it covers them as well. Healthcare, infrastructure, food stamps, wellfare. They're for literally everyone as saftey nets. Instead theres this incredibly weird idea that its not really needed and the government just does it to steal from you. I respect that there have been many instances of politicans and the government using the money in a corrupt manner or outright wasting it....but its never on those essential things. I mean you dont stop having water and heating in your home just because the plumbers shit at his job right ? Yoy just hire a different plumber.

Secondly Conservatism seems to have warped from "Slow advancement" (Ie: Obamacare with its 'Universal healrhcare in the future, lets acclimatise it with the system now' kind of
    schtick) to fill out "No advancement" which is crippling. As ww can see from the social ills that constantly turn up.
    One reason Americans hate paying taxes is racism. I think this is understated as a reason for American antagonism towards taxes. It's not so much 'we hate taxes' as it is 'we don't want our taxes to go to THOSE people'.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Russian Troll Farms Are Still Using Social Media To Meddle In U.S Politics

The campaign didn’t end with Trump’s ascent to the White House. Food for thought, people.

White House Nightmare: Trump Golfs While His Secret Service Agents Work Without Pay

Trump might have to put off his golf vacation if he forces a government shutdown over his border wall. But he loves his golf, so that might mean no shutdown. How funny would it be if Trump's golf passion prevents a shutdown.

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

MSNBC host said Mueller investigation is about to reach a “breaking point.” I doubt that will happen. Trump would LITERALLY have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the Oval Office and might even barricade himself inside (and wouldn't that make for must see TV) as there's ZERO chance he'll willingly resign.

Fox News Legal Analyst Warns Trump Of ‘Doomsday’ Scenario In Mueller Probe

Andrew Napolitano also said the president will be speaking with Mueller one way or another. I'd LOVE to watch THAT show!

Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Doubles Down On His Racist Immigration Rhetoric

“That’s what we said. It’s true,” said Carlson, who added he would not be “intimidated” as advertisers flee his show. When more sponsors flee, and they will, expect Fucker to change his tune.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-18-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!