Page 631 of 985 FirstFirst ... 131531581621627628629630631632633634635641681731 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,465 of 14769

White House warns shutdown could carry on after emergency declaration
    Trump may tap his emergency powers without reopening the government, a move some allies say could 'screw' Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...utdown-1098628

White House officials are warning congressional Republicans not to expect an immediate end to the government shutdown even if President Donald Trump declares a national emergency at the southern border.

The warning came during Trump’s Thursday visit to the southern U.S. border, according to three sources with knowledge of those conversations.

Many Democrats and some Republicans have grown hopeful that a national emergency declaration, which would allow Trump to tap Pentagon funds for a border wall, might end a political standoff that has partially shut down the government for three weeks.

Their thinking is that such an effort by Trump would allow him to declare victory and strike a deal with Congress to reopen the federal government, even though his extreme legal move would then face severe court challenges.

But Trump’s allies say the president is reluctant to hand Democrats a “win” by reopening the government after he’s invoked emergency powers. They claim that in such a scenario, Trump’s political opponents would avoid making a single concession and potentially score a major victory if the administration were to lose in federal courts as many legal experts predict.

“He could say, ‘Look, I’m going to get what I want and then I’m still going to screw you,’” a former White House official told POLITICO.
    “It’s making Democrats feel pain instead of declaring a national emergency, opening the government up, and making it so they don’t have to give anything,” the former official added.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Trump may tap his emergency powers without reopening the government, a move some allies say could 'screw' Democrats.

How would it screw Democrats more than GOP Senators who are BEGGING for the declaration. Lindsey Grahm is practically salivating and offering to perform fellatio on the orange mushroom if he declares the emergency and BUILD THE WALL NOW.

Because the pressure is on the GOP for obstructing even putting Bills up for a vote to open the government. Mitch and his weak sycophants act like they work for trump and must protect him at all costs ever since he got in office. They voted unanimously for a measure and refuse to put it back up for consideration after Democrats passed it and sent it back.

A co equal branch but they are acting like trump employees who forgot they don't need him for legislation

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Wait so he would use his emergency powers to build the wall, and then still leave the government shutdown...How is that not a giant fuck you to all the people going without pay now? "Yeah I got the one thing I wanted, but it's not a big enough win."

How would you even go about spinning that as positive?!
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Wait so he would use his emergency powers to build the wall, and then still leave the government shutdown...How is that not a giant fuck you to all the people going without pay now? "Yeah I got the one thing I wanted, but it's not a big enough win."

Like how William Shatner can do spoken-word Rap, they'll find a way. It might not resonate with anyone who doesn't already agree with him, but they'll find a way.

Trump is a zero sum guy. If the Dems don't lose, he didn't win as far as he is concerned.
    Dark does not mean deep.

And in the Friday news dump... the FBI has been investigating whether or not Trump is a Russian asset since he fired James Comey (and coincidentally the same day, bragged about it to Russians at the White House before leaking Israeli intelligence to him).

Oh, the poop-Tweets that will be coming tomorrow morning...
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Tulsi gabbard lol.

She just announced she's going for president.

If he does so I could suspect to see a military Coup in action. Whilst its not quite "Lets nuke anyone who even thinks about disagreeing with me" its certainly not democratic in the slightest.

Incredible Member

Hey, hello, I'm french (so excuse me if make mistakes!), really interested in what's happening in America and it seems to me Trump just want to cause as much disruption as he can and why?
    Well, just because it's what he likes!
    He believes in chaos as a management asset, look at the White House's revolving door!
    And the Art of the Deal is just walking away, breaking deals.
    So, for me as long as he can keep the shutdown He will relish it!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Trump is a zero sum guy. If the Dems don't lose, he didn't win as far as he is concerned.
    Exactly. Even though he won the election two plus years ago, Trump still bitches about losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton. It’s obvious Trump doesn’t give a flying fuck about the almost one million government workers going without a paycheck and worrying about making ends meet, the petty bastard only cares about screwing his enemies. And he craven cowards in the GOP will simply look the other way because they don’t have the balls to call him on the carpet for what he’s doing while their constituents suffer.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Dang, the whole Democratic party is running for the president!

Gabbard is a congresswoman. America hasn't elected a sitting congressman to the presidency since James Garfield in 1880.
    I feel comfortable saying Gabbard won't make it out of the first primary. Too Trump-friendly and Assad friendly.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Tulsi gabbard lol.

The Dems have a deep bench.. And Tulsi is the Republican flavored, murderous dictator loving gum stuck under that bench.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

BANNED

Tulsi gabbard lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Dang, the whole Democratic party is running for the president!

Gabbard is a congresswoman. America hasn't elected a sitting congressman to the presidency since James Garfield in 1880.
    The More ACTUAL Progressives we have running the better. Some folks can keep their milquetoast centrists. I personally want faster change, and less corporate something somethings in power. Gabbard has her issues, like all of them do.
    But I'll take her over Beto, or Didn't Prosecute Mnuchin Kamala anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The Dems have a deep bench.. And Tulsi is the Republican flavored, murderous dictator loving gum stuck under that bench.
    I feel comfortable saying Gabbard won't make it out of the first primary. Too Trump-friendly and Assad friendly.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/rep-tu...-america-first

Her record says otherwise... But don't let facts get in the way of a good smear...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tulsi-gabbard/

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard to Trump: Being Saudi Arabia’s B*tch Is Not ‘America First.’
    She really likes Trump...

People are already lying about her and Assad also. But shrug. Haters gonna hate. She has issues, but those two ain't one of them.

Huffpo already smearing Gabbard. Good job Huffpo...>.> Daily Beast praises and hates her at the same time. "Liberal" Media sucks.

For the people who said Hillary had too much baggage:

Tulsi Gabbard is
    -a former anti-gay activist who still calls homosexuality a "lifestyle"
    -part of a breakaway Hare Krishna cult
    -a hardcore Assad defender
    -a supporter of anti-pluralist Hindu nationalism in India
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Hillary was right!