Page 647 of 985 FirstFirst ... 147547597637643644645646647648649650651657697747 ... LastLast
Results 9,691 to 9,705 of 14769

Yikes...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/b...alifornia.html

PG&E Bankruptcy Tests Who Will Pay for California Wildfires

The Failing New York Times reports that Steve King is finally facing some in-party backlash over his racist-ass racism.

Steve King Loses House Committee Seats Over White Supremacy Remark

To which I respond, "Look at the Republican party scramble for the appearance of ethical, moral leadership, despite years of looking the other way while Steve King said horrible **** in their name! It'd almost be cute, if it wasn't so pathetically, desperately, transparently about trying to alter the narrative of the shutdown showing everyone how ethically rudderless the Republican party has become."
    Last edited by zinderel; 01-14-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    The Failing New York Times reports that Steve King is Zfinally Facing some in-party backlash over his racist-ass racism.
    He finally crossed the line of "plausible deniability" as Mets likes to term it.

Meanwhile, Trump is keeping the faith and holding the government hostage to force us to build King's wall -- at best he might just be more careful about his "nationalist" comments in the future.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-14-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Ultimate Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0e5543576cde

The GOP must stamp out the seeds of hatred before it’s too late

That's the headline to a WaPo opinion piece. The various reactions on twitter to the headline were, of course, better than the article itself.

Naturally, the most frequently appearing oen was a variation on: "Narrator: It was already too late."

The Failing New York Times reports that Steve King is finally facing some in-party backlash over his racist-ass racism.

To which I respond, "Look at the Republican party scramble for the appearance of ethical, moral leadership, despite years of looking the other way while Steve King said horrible **** in their name! It'd almost be cute, if it wasn't so pathetically, desperately, transparently about trying to alter the narrative of the shutdown showing everyone how ethically rudderless the Republican party has become."
    Democrats: Steve King is a racist.
    Rebublicans: Democrats call everyone who disagrees with them racist.
    Steve King: I'm definitely a racist.
    Republicans: *gasp* How could we have known!?

Spare me.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    Good Lord. You know, I often say to myself, "Surely, Trump supporters can't be THAT stupid.", then the universe goes, "Not so fast there, Buddy!".
    Have you ever voted for one of their counterpolls? It's pretty much skewered to be 97% in favor of whatever it is they are for (Trump) or against (anyone against Trump), that it's laughable.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Should've been stripped of those titles and positions long ago.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Look, I can't make this **** up at all.

Earlier this evening, President @realDonaldTrump treated the Clemson Tigers football team to dinner in the State Dining Room! #ALLIN

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I showed this to my husband, he then showed me this:

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I saw that on the national news early this evening. While I thought "Nah. There's more serious issues.", I'm glad someone brought it up.

You pull off the run they did. You beat the red off of the Crimson Tide. What do you get for your trouble? To be the straight man in a lousy joke about the shutdown, and your choice of the fast food options.

This was the cherry on top of why sports teams as a whole should boycott White House visits until this guy is out of office.

Let alone that they are on the White House silver. I try not to get that wound up on the details, but that really is unacceptable. Should have been on plastic public shoos lunch trays.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 01-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    President Trump at least knows how to reduce costs on food expenses. Fast food is not as expensive as gourmet French cuisine which is usually served to other guests in the White House.

Besides I am sure football players would rather eat fast food than French food.

If Mr. Trump had served French food, or steaks and lobsters to a football team during a shutdown, the Democrats would express outrage all week.
    Going to to have to politely disagree there. Had he done that? None of us would even have known. It would be a non-issue.

It is only a slight issue because this fool pinned the "Clown Shoes" detector in the red.

In addition, it's mildly insulting to try to frame football players as a bunch of meatheads who can't appreciate food more complex than a box of chicken Mcnuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Oh sorry. Maybe Trump should have served them caviar, Dom Pérignon champagne (the world's most expensive champagne) and Tournedos Rossini, a French style filet mignon made from Matsusaka beef, also reputed to be the world's most expensive beef.
    When you go to the white house you expect some class not to walk into a European Sketch Show of what America is like.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    When you go to the white house you expect some class not to walk into a European Sketch Show of what America is like.
    This. Even college football players expect better than what they could have stopped for on the way to the White House.

This is a good article that especially takes McConnel to task.

Lustgarten, Berlin, May 1933
    As a historian specializing in the Holocaust, Nazi Germany, and Europe in the era of the world wars, I have been repeatedly asked about the degree to which the current situation in the United States resembles the interwar period and the rise of fascism in Europe. I would note several troubling similarities and one important but equally troubling difference.
    In the 1920s, the US pursued isolationism in foreign policy and rejected participation in international organizations like the League of Nations. America First was America alone, except for financial agreements like the Dawes and Young Plans aimed at ensuring that our “free-loading” former allies could pay back their war loans. At the same time, high tariffs crippled international trade, making the repayment of those loans especially difficult. The country witnessed an increase in income disparity and a concentration of wealth at the top, and both Congress and the courts eschewed regulations to protect against the self-inflicted calamities of free enterprise run amok. The government also adopted a highly restrictionist immigration policy aimed at preserving the hegemony of white Anglo-Saxon Protestants against an influx of Catholic and Jewish immigrants. (Various measures barring Asian immigration had already been implemented between 1882 and 1917.) These policies left the country unable to respond constructively to either the Great Depression or the rise of fascism, the growing threat to peace, and the refugee crisis of the 1930s.
    Today, President Trump seems intent on withdrawing the US from the entire post–World War II structure of interlocking diplomatic, military, and economic agreements and organizations that have preserved peace, stability, and prosperity since 1945. His preference for bilateral relations, conceived as zero-sum rivalries in which he is the dominant player and “wins,” overlaps with the ideological preference of Steve Bannon and the so-called alt-right for the unfettered self-assertion of autonomous, xenophobic nation-states—in short, the pre-1914 international system. That “international anarchy” produced World War I, the Bolshevik Revolution, the Great Depression, the fascist dictatorships, World War II, and the Holocaust, precisely the sort of disasters that the post–World War II international system has for seven decades remarkably avoided.
    https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...-of-democracy/