Page 735 of 985 FirstFirst ... 235635685725731732733734735736737738739745785835 ... LastLast
Results 11,011 to 11,025 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Huh.

Northam apparently does not plan on resigning.
    They all say that.

They almost always wind up resigning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I do have to say I respect the ideological consistency of any liberals calling for his resignation even though it would be a stupid and unprecedented move for demanding resignation for something anyone did in medical school, twenty years before they were in public office, that wasn't a crime.
    Well, liberals aren't hypocrites who are full of their own s***, after all. It's more proof of how both parties aren't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They all say that.

See Franken, Al, for the last time Democrats called for the resignation of a high profile candidate for violating the values that they just don't claim to uphold, unlike their counterparts across the aisle, who operate on the IOKIYAR guidelines.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, liberals aren't hypocrites who are full of their own s***, after all. It's more proof of how both parties aren't the same.

See Franken, Al, for the last time Democrats called for the resignation of a high profile candidate for violating the values that they just don't claim to uphold, unlike their counterparts across the aisle, who operate on the IOKIYAR guidelines.
    Don't worry. We can use Franken to beat up on Gillibrand! :P

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Racisms not cool
    There's a middle ground between thinking racism is cool, and a bad joke in a textbook 35 years ago is cause for resignation.

It's convenient for Democrats to call for Northam's resignation with a Democratic Lieutenant Governor, just as it was convenient for Democrats to call for Franken's resignation in a state where the Democratic Governor was able to pick a replacement. In these cases, there isn't much cost for the party for upholding principles in a way that allows them to posture in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I do have to say I respect the ideological consistency of any liberals calling for his resignation even though it would be a stupid and unprecedented move for demanding resignation for something anyone did in medical school, twenty years before they were in public office, that wasn't a crime.
    It's convenient for Democrats to call for Northam's resignation with a Democratic Lieutenant Governor, just as it was convenient for Democrats to call for Franken's resignation in a state where the Democratic Governor was able to pick a replacement. In these cases, there isn't much cost for the party for upholding principles in a way that allows them to posture in the future.
    If you think it's a convenient ploy, it's not something you respect. After all - Steve King would be replaced easily by a Republican governor too and it would be an easy thing to do to show even a smidgen of actual principle. Yet they refuse to even do that, and yet you seem surprised/defensive when people point out this hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If you think it's a convenient ploy, it's not something you respect. After all - Steve King would be replaced easily by a Republican governor too and it would be an easy thing to do to show even a smidgen of actual principle. Yet they refuse to even do that, and yet you seem surprised/defensive when people point out this hypocrisy?
    I don't think Democrats are a hivemind, so motives vary. Some people are legitimately hurt by what Northam did, or believe his failure to address this earlier in his political career makes his current judgement suspect.

But there are limited costs for calling for his resignation. Once there's a bandwagon, there's no bravery in it.

As for Steve King, he's lost all of his committee assignments, leaders in the party have called on him to resign, and he already has a prominent primary challenger in State Senator Randy Feenstra.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This little pathological display is a fine illustration Republican attitudes about this behavior. If there's nothing to gain from it politically, say nothing. If there's something to gain, say something. If there's something to lose, defend it.

Really, he just made my point.

I don't think Democrats are a hivemind, so motives vary. Some people are legitimately hurt by what Northam did, or believe his failure to address this earlier in his political career makes his current judgement suspect.

But there are limited costs for calling for his resignation. Once there's a bandwagon, there's no bravery in it.
    You'd rather assume Democrats are merely hopping on a convenient bandwagon, yet assume the best of entitled private school students shown on camera doing racist/sexist things on camera. There's nothing good about that at all.

As for Steve King, he's lost all of his committee assignments, leaders in the party have called on him to resign, and he already has a prominent primary challenger in State Senator Randy Feenstra.
    And if they really put on the pressure to get him out it could go a long way to show them standing up to the racism and bigotry rampant in the party today, but they won't. That's because they know the people voting for them wouldn't like that, and I'm fairly sure you know that too.

E:
    This little pathological display is a fine illustration Republican attitudes about this behavior. If there's nothing to gain from it politically, say nothing. If there's something to gain, say something. If there's something to lose, defend it.

I can't argue with this.

You'd rather assume Democrats are merely hopping on a convenient bandwagon, yet assume the best of entitled private school students shown on camera doing racist/sexist things on camera. There's nothing good about that at all.

And if they really put on the pressure to get him out it could go a long way to show them standing up to the racism and bigotry rampant in the party today, but they won't. That's because they know the people voting for them wouldn't like that, and I'm fairly sure you know that too.

E:

I can't argue with this.
    I do hold paid political figures to a higher standard than high school kids.

My criticism is that Democrats are taking a stand only when there is something to gain, rather than when there are any costs for the party.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My criticism is that Democrats are taking a stand only when there is something to gain, rather than when there are any costs for the party.
    This sort of thing doesn't happen that often with Democrats, is one reason.

But, let's see... can you name an legitimate example of a scandal where Democrats didn't call on one of their own to resign for improper comments or behavior in the past decade, and if the person didn't, that they didn't primary them out of office?

Because I can't recall one.

But, let's see... can you name an legitimate example of a scandal where Democrats didn't call on one of their own to resign for improper comments or behavior in the past decade, and if the person didn't, that they didn't primary them out of office?
    You beat me to it. Neither can I! Chances are, if Mets can find even a single case, it will far outweigh every instance that Democrats have pushed offenders out of office.
    Last edited by 4saken1; 02-01-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

BANNED

The Coming Democratic Drama Over Medicare for All
    The policy’s supporters could run up against the same problems that Republicans faced in trying to repeal Obamacare./

During the ACA debate, Republicans failed to recognize the degree to which their traditional priority of minimizing government involvement in health care could threaten the financial security of the older and working-class whites now central to their electoral fortunes. Similarly, Democrats may be underestimating how much of their new coalition—which increasingly relies on well-educated whites in major metropolitan areas—may resist entrusting the health-care system entirely to government control.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They all say that.

I'd be shocked if he didn't get enough pressure to. But also the reality is he's probably thinking "it's Super Bowl weekend, maybe I'll just wait through it while everyone is distracted, then next week something crazy will happen with Trump, and then this is old news". He's also a bit more insulated as an elected executive as opposed to a congressional seat member or lower office.

But I'd say the smart money is he resigns.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I'd be shocked if he didn't get enough pressure to. But also the reality is he's probably thinking "it's Super Bowl weekend, maybe I'll just wait through it while everyone is distracted, then next week something crazy will happen with Trump, and then this is old news". He's also a bit more insulated as an elected executive as opposed to a congressional seat member or lower office.

But I'd say the smart money is he resigns.
    On paper, sure.

In reality, what's the reason he would do so?

An attempt to salvage the political career there is no way that he will now ever have?

If the guy isn't in it for himself, I could see him stepping aside.

If not, there isn't much of a case for playing smart now to try to save your tomorrow.

This sort of thing doesn't happen that often with Democrats, is one reason.

Because I can't recall one.

Since this year just started...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/u...s-strider.html

Clinton Says She Should Have Fired Campaign Aide Accused of Sexual Harassment
    Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday night that she should have fired a top aide in her 2008 presidential campaign accused of sexual harassment.

“I very much understand the question I’m being asked as to why I let an employee on my 2008 campaign keep his job despite his inappropriate workplace behavior,” Mrs. Clinton said in a statement on Facebook. “The short answer is this: If I had it to do again, I wouldn’t.”

Mrs. Clinton’s expression of regret over the way she handled the allegations against the aide, Burns Strider, came less than a week after it was first reported that she had overruled a recommendation from two campaign advisers that he be dismissed. The report of her actions has touched off an extended debate on the responsibilities of the most prominent woman in American politics when confronted with sexual harassment.