Page 777 of 985 FirstFirst ... 277677727767773774775776777778779780781787827877 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,655 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The only emergency is if Trump doesn't get bacon with his omelet.

I'm guessing this photo was taken in the White House, but what event was it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Fixed that for you, since the resistance to anything he tried was against all reason and tied to hate of the person and not the actual policies involved for the most part (Remember Romneycare?). Unless you are going to deny there were actual factual reasons to resist the Wall, the Tax Cuts, his SCOTUS nominees, etc then there really is no basis for comparison.
    Did you not read the last line of Knight's post? He admits that the substance of the two things are different. But he is right that they each serve much the same purpose for each President's legacy.

Extraordinary Member

Fixed that for you, since the resistance to anything he tried was against all reason and tied to hate of the person and not the actual policies involved for the most part (Remember Romneycare?). Unless you are going to deny there were actual factual reasons to resist the Wall, the Tax Cuts, his SCOTUS nominees, etc then there really is no basis for comparison.
    The comparison is in the basis for why both wanted it, what it meant for them to get it, to not get it, and why they were willing to max out their political capital for them. While they were two very different acts of policy they meant the same in the context of what it symbolized for the President and his base. So yeah the comparison is valid even if you 100% hate the wall and 100% love the ACA.

Good article by Caroline Orr on Tulsi Gganbard. No, bring critical of her is not a hit piece.

https://arcdigital.media/tulsi-gabba...r-660e7d1e4ce1

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Did you not read the last line of Knight's post? He admits that the substance of the two things are different. But he is right that they each serve much the same purpose for each President's legacy.
    I disagree as I think the Tax Cuts are going to be seen more as Trump's legacy even if he gets the Wall, but your mileage may vary. Opposition to the ACA wasn't about the ACA, while opposition to The Wall is almost entirely about The Wall itself. That's not related to the substance of the 2 things but it also reflects on what kind of legacy each will leave as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The comparison is in the basis for why both wanted it, what it meant for them to get it, to not get it, and why they were willing to max out their political capital for them. While they were two very different acts of policy they meant the same in the context of what it symbolized for the President and his base. So yeah the comparison is valid even if you 100% hate the wall and 100% love the ACA.
    Trump blew too much of his capital on the Healthcare struggle and the other big fights which resulted in partisan policies rammed through that preceded the shutdown over the Wall, where the ACA was Obama's first big conflict. They were really important to each, but that's really the only point where they can be compared regardless of the substance of The Wall or the ACA specifically. This is like comparing a middle schooler creating a slapdash toothpick structure to a LEGO employee designing a life-sized figure of Thanos on the basis that they are both acts of construction: the differences are so vast that the comparison doesn't really work.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree as I think the Tax Cuts are going to be seen more as Trump's legacy even if he gets the Wall, but your mileage may vary. Opposition to the ACA wasn't about the ACA, while opposition to The Wall is almost entirely about The Wall itself. That's not related to the substance of the 2 things but it also reflects on what kind of legacy each will leave as I see it.

Trump blew too much of his capital on the Healthcare struggle and the other big fights which resulted in partisan policies rammed through that preceded the shutdown over the Wall, where the ACA was Obama's first big conflict. They were really important to each, but that's really the only point where they can be compared regardless of the substance of The Wall or the ACA specifically. This is like comparing a middle schooler creating a slapdash toothpick structure to a LEGO employee designing a life-sized figure of Thanos on the basis that they are both acts of construction: the differences are so vast that the comparison doesn't really work.
    No it does work. You just prefer one more. The Wall was far closer to the signature promise of the Trump campaign than repealling the ACA was. There's a reason why this is the one he's willing to shutdown the government for and declare national emergencies for despite not getting his way on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I'm guessing this photo was taken in the White House, but what event was it from?
    Mar-a-Largo, no event just Trump doing his usual weekend 'Executive Time' with his golfing buddies in Florida
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    No it does work. You just prefer one more. The Wall was far closer to the signature promise of the Trump campaign than repealling the ACA was. There's a reason why this is the one he's willing to shutdown the government for and declare national emergencies for despite not getting his way on other things.
    I lost a Job thanks to the ACA and still lack health insurance, so I'll make it clear that this isn't a matter of preference. BTW the reason he's willing to do all this BS is because the House is no longer in GOP hands, and when you consider all the norms and traditions that have been shat upon in the last few years to advance an ultra-conservative agenda it's clear the Wall isn't the first thing that they've pulled out all the stops to ram through. This isn't Apples and Oranges, but Redheads and Orange Cats.

Don't forget, he was all set to compromise until Ann Coulter and Faux News raised a stink.

I lost a Job thanks to the ACA and still lack health insurance, so I'll make it clear that this isn't a matter of preference. BTW the reason he's willing to do all this BS is because the House is no longer in GOP hands, and when you consider all the norms and traditions that have been shat upon in the last few years to advance an ultra-conservative agenda it's clear the Wall isn't the first thing that they've pulled out all the stops to ram through. This isn't Apples and Oranges, but Redheads and Orange Cats.

Don't forget, he was all set to compromise until Ann Coulter and Faux News raised a stink.
    Brit here, how did you lose your job due to ACA ?

6'3" 243 lbs, crack of my ass.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Brit here, how did you lose your job due to ACA ?
    I used to bill insurance companies on behalf of several smaller-end doctors, and due to ACA incentives for electronic records keeping and the number of those programs capable of sending the bills themselves it made me obsolete to the doctors I worked with. I don't blame them for it, but it pretty much tanked the small business I had.

I used to bill insurance companies on behalf of several smaller-end doctors, and due to ACA incentives for electronic records keeping and the number of those programs capable of sending the bills themselves it made me obsolete to the doctors I worked with. I don't blame them for it, but it pretty much tanked the small business I had.
    Fair enough. I often hear alot of whining from Americans about UHC so I was curious about how ACA could actually cause someone to lose their job.

Fair enough. I often hear alot of whining from Americans about UHC so I was curious about how ACA could actually cause someone to lose their job.
    Having billed insurance companies and seen how much they actually reimburse the doctors, I much prefer a universal healthcare system (Not United Health Care) compared to what the ACA wound up as. I was very disappointed when the public option was given away so easily for no real benefit.

Having billed insurance companies and seen how much they actually reimburse the doctors, I much prefer a universal healthcare system (Not United Health Care) compared to what the ACA wound up as. I was very disappointed when the public option was given away so easily for no real benefit.
    Uhc was me acronyming Universal Health Care

Uhc was me acronyming Universal Health Care
    It's ok, just UHC and BCBS take on new meanings when dealing with insurance companies