Page 931 of 985 FirstFirst ... 431831881921927928929930931932933934935941981 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 13,965 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

The situation in Flint should not just fall by the wayside.
    What's wrong with paying the mayor of Michigan's seventh largest city $125,000 an year?

She wasn't in charge when the water crisis started.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You suggested a cover-up by Barr. I noted that if he's misleading on his categorization of the Mueller report, it's likely to come out.
    Again Mets -- there's nothing about "lies" or being "misleading" in what I'm saying: Barr has already claimed that Trump shouldn't even be questioned.

"Mueller should not be permitted to demand that the President submit to interrogation about alleged obstruction" -- Barr

You cannot have an objective investigation of wrongdoing where the main suspect can't even be questioned -- he's not "misleading" anyone because his bias is blatant. Whether it will "come out" or not is irrelevant -- it's already "out" because he claims Trump shouldn't even be held to the same legal standard as any other citizen of the United States.

I'm not going to get into this with you, Mets -- you tend not to listen to what other people are saying once you've already determined a line of response.

Get back to me once your party learns how to win elections without cheating minority voters and "colluding" with Russians while destroying our democracy from within with "leaders" like McConnell and Trump.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-27-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Yes, indeed. The behavior of the 'homeless' is the problem.

Good to know some things never change, especially the criminalization of the poor for the crime of being poor and having to pee.

I haven't heard the phrase "white disinformation before" and a google-search doesn't bring up anything.

That said, it is pretty useful to have a term for something that is technically correct and misleading/ evasive. It's still important to discuss the specific facts, and to avoid incentives for dodgy tactics like saying something untrue, and then arguing that someone who notes the error isn't addressing the substance.
    I didn't actually catch the word "all" in the original post until his follow up response. But I knew what the script was once that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Again Mets -- there's nothing about "lies" or being "misleading" in what I'm saying: Barr has already claimed that Trump shouldn't even be questioned.

"Mueller should not be permitted to demand that the President submit to interrogation about alleged obstruction" -- Barr

You cannot have an objective investigation of wrongdoing where the main suspect can't even be questioned -- he's not "misleading" anyone because his bias is blatant. Whether it will "come out" or not is irrelevant -- it's already "out" because he claims Trump shouldn't even be held to the same legal standard as any other citizen of the United States.

I'm not going to get into this with you, Mets -- you tend not to listen to what other people are saying once you've already determined a line of response.

Get back to me once your party learns how to win elections without cheating minority voters and "colluding" with Russians while destroying our democracy from within with "leaders" like McConnell and Trump.
    Trump answered Mueller's questions.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/polit...one/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yes, indeed. The behavior of the 'homeless' is the problem.

Good to know some things never change, especially the criminalization of the poor for the crime of being poor and having to pee.
    The mayor's plan seems to offer the homeless support, while allowing residents to feel safe, and businesses to be successful so that less people are homeless.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ng-in-vehicles
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

So your party is done disenfranchising minority voters, I assume?

No?

Then I don't think we have anything else to discuss.

The mayor's plan seems to offer the homeless support, while allowing residents to feel safe, and businesses to be successful so that less people are homeless.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ng-in-vehicles
    Yes, because the last plan was so sound. How about not criminalizing poverty and just helping? You get the same result with less human suffering while not criminalizing the homeless who need to pee -- but that way we wouldn't be able to feed the prisons.

Just a reminder that it was a Republican president - Saint Ronnie Raygun, the Commie-smasher - who exploded the homelessness numbers in America by shutting down all the mental health facilities and releasing the patients into the world, where they mostly died, became homeless, or went underground.

And it has been Republican administrations and politicians, by and large (and with a few notable exceptions I'm sure that right wingers here will point out in a frenzy of bothsidesism, rather than looking at this as a symptom of the problem at the core of their party...) that repeatedly demonize the poor and destitute and cut funding to aid programs that help the poor be a bit less desperate, and the destitute be a bit less hopeless.

But never mind all that...

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Just a reminder that it was a Republican president - Saint Ronnie Raygun, the Commie-smasher - who exploded the homelessness numbers in America by shutting down all the mental health facilities and releasing the patients into the world, where they mostly died, became homeless, or went underground.

And it has been Republican administrations and politicians, by and large (and with a few notable exceptions I'm sure that right wingers here will point out in a frenzy of bothsidesism, rather than looking at this as a symptom of the problem at the core of their party...) that repeatedly demonize the poor and destitute and cut funding to aid programs that help the poor be a bit less desperate, and the destitute be a bit less hopeless.

But never mind all that...
    Republicans: lol yeah we're just SO hateful eesh you loony lefties also lets cut funding to the special olympics because screw those guys

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    One could hope that Trump is doing what he is doing because he really doesn't want to be President anymore.
    I worry that the exact opposite might be the case. Trump is a creature driven by his ego and insatiable need for adoration, he’ll never be more powerful or more talked about than he is right now, being president is the ultimate high, no way will Trump give up the Oval Office without a fight, fair or foul.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

And here is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez calling BS on my representative, Sean Duffy. Good, nuts to him.

A Republican congressman mocked the effort of the “Green New Deal” as nothing more than an elitist fantasy. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez fired back.

Republicans: lol yeah we're just SO hateful eesh you loony lefties also lets cut funding to the special olympics because screw those guys
    Right? 2/100ths of one percent of the budget go to the Special Olympics, but THAT needed cutting before...oh, I dunno...Trumps never-ending trips to Mar a Lago to golf instead of doing his job? Yeah, but Republicans aren't greedy, corrupt and evil at their core or anything...

Recently re-watched MARCI X, a not-great, but funny-at-times 2003 movie starring Lisa Kudrow, Damon Wayans, and Christine Baranski. It got a lot of guff when it came out, but watching it now, it's got some eerily prescient digs at Trump, cultural appropriation, capitalism trumping art...and it also has this line, from hyper-conservative Senator Spinkle, played by the divine Christine Baranski:

"Please. These polls are pure media distortion. I am here to protect and defend the American people, not to LISTEN to them!"

Sounds like the scriptwriter for this movie wrote the scripts for the entire Trump administration...
    Last edited by zinderel; 03-27-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I didn't actually catch the word "all" in the original post until his follow up response. But I knew what the script was once that happened.
    I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical trap by the guy, and part of a bad faith argument.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    So your party is done disenfranchising minority voters, I assume?

No?

Then I don't think we have anything else to discuss.
    I don't believe the Mueller report addressed disenfranchising minority voters.

If you have concerns about specific policies that you feel disenfranchise minority voters, we can discuss that.

Yes, because the last plan was so sound. How about not criminalizing poverty and just helping? You get the same result with less human suffering while not criminalizing the homeless who need to pee -- but that way we wouldn't be able to feed the prisons.
    What makes you think the response by the mayor of San Diego is about feeding the prison industrial complex? Obviously, the homeless need bathroom facilities, but families don't feel safe when junkies are relieving themselves in public, and that's got to be addressed as well.

This isn't just about poverty, since much of the problem is addiction and mental illness.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

What makes you think the response by the mayor of San Diego is about feeding the prison industrial complex? Obviously, the homeless need bathroom facilities, but families don't feel safe when junkies are relieving themselves in public, and that's got to be addressed as well.

This isn't just about poverty, since much of the problem is addiction and mental illness.
    The end result is feeding the prison industrial complex, and it will be by criminalizing homeless people living in their frigging cars for the sake of people 'uncomfortable' with them. ALso, your conflation of homelessness with 'junkies relieving themselves in public' is a pretty huge tell.