Page 83 of 192 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2875

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Your theory...which is only mere supposition on your part, doesn't change the fact that from birth, to being separated from her parents and living in Cairo, to her "Goddess" days in Kenya, her natural hair has always been straight (much like its platinum colour and the colour of her eyes are a result of her Magical/Mutant ancestry).

Keep in mind...Len Wein and Cockrum who created the very diverse All New All Different X-Men including your beloved Storm probably was not as disdainful of Black people and their natural hair as you might think.
    The disdain for natural black hair is ingrained in western society. Only relatively recently have things starting to change with the natural hair movement.

Her creators wanted her to be beautiful so natural hair wasn't cutting it for them as it was not considered beautiful. Black people have lost jobs and told not to come to school because their natural hair was deemed "inappropriate" or "unprofessional"

In other words, screw the straight hair. If someone wants to give her an afro, cornrows, or dreadlocks during a run then let them. It would be tons more interesting than the straight hair.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The disdain for natural black hair is ingrained in western society. Only relatively recently have things starting to change with the natural hair movement.

Her creators wanted her to be beautiful so natural hair wasn't cutting it for them as it was not considered beautiful. Black people have lost jobs and told not to come to school because their natural hair was deemed "inappropriate" or "unprofessional"

In other words, screw the straight hair. If someone wants to give her an afro, cornrows, or dreadlocks during a run then let them. It would be tons more interesting than the straight hair.
    Also, I feel afro-textured hair makes her white hair pop more, especially if drawn correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Also, I feel afro-textured hair makes her white hair pop more, especially if drawn correctly.
    It would look like a cloud, which is fitting for a character called Storm who controls the weather. Now that I think about it, I want the MCU storm to have afro-textured hair.

Butterflykyss' avatar and these are some of my favorite Storm art

Last edited by Crimz; 09-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

UGH...whatever.

I'm all for her mixing up the hair-styles and doing new and different things like the long curly/wavy Janet Jackson 'do...I Absolutely LOVED her mohawk back in the day...but to believe her natural, straight, white hair is somehow remnant of a racist mindset (without any actual proof from her creators)...well...that's just...I have no words.
    Actually, I do have the words but I don't want to be banned.

UGH...whatever.

I'm all for her mixing up the hair-styles and doing new and different things...I Absolutely LOVED her mohawk back in the day) but to believe her natural, straight, white hair is somehow remnant of a racist mindset (without any actual proof from her creators)...well...that's just...I have no words.
    Actually, I do have the words but I don't want to be banned.
    1. I never called her creators racist. They are just susceptible to a racially prejudiced society (like everyone in western society is)

Last edited by Crimz; 09-13-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Good. We done here.

Her creators aren't racist for giving her straight hair, it's just that natural hair was deemed ugly back then. And still is to some. I'm pretty sure of things were different, Storm would have had many natural black hairstyles a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Her creators aren't racist for giving her straight hair, it's just that natural hair was deemed ugly back then. And still is to some. I'm pretty sure of things were different, Storm would have had many natural black hairstyles a long time ago.
    No one said they were.

And the wheel keeps turning.

In other news that pretend x-men book is finally ending.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Niffleheim

Koh the Face Stealer! Where has everyone avatars' disappeared to?
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-13-2018 at 11:50 PM.

This cover actually got me in trouble on CBR. Had a member say he or she didn't like the look because it looked like she had pubic hair on her head.

Lets just say, **** hit the fan that day.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Because she was created by white men in 70s and the disdain for black people's natural hair definitely influenced things....
    Yikes. So Len Wein and Dave Cockrum didn't like natural black hair. Good to know.

Your theory...which is only mere supposition on your part, doesn't change the fact that from birth, to being separated from her parents and living in Cairo, to her "Goddess" days in Kenya, her natural hair has always been straight (much like its platinum colour and the colour of her eyes are a result of her Magical/Mutant ancestry).

Keep in mind...Len Wein and Cockrum who created the very diverse All New All Different X-Men including your beloved Storm probably was not as disdainful of Black people and their natural hair as you might think.
    I agree with this. Storm's hair is naturally straight. Furthermore, I believe it's been stated that some of her facial features are almost Caucasian-like and her eyes kinda feline-like? I need to find that issue.

But yeah Misty Knight was running around in afros and afro puffs during those days and I think Power Man was sporting an afro back then too.

Storm did rock braids for a while in CC's X-treme X-men thanks to Jean.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    I agree with this. Storm's hair is naturally straight. Furthermore, I believe it's been stated that some of her facial features are almost Caucasian-like and her eyes kinda feline-like? I need to find that issue.

But yeah Misty Knight was running around in afros and afro puffs during those days and I think Power Man was sporting an afro back then too.

Storm did rock braids for a while in CC's X-treme X-men thanks to Jean.
    The guy's argument falls apart when you consider that Black Panther had natural low cut afro for most of his appearances in the old days. The Wakandans had natural hair in their Kirby and McGregor appearances. Power Man had his hair and so did Stevie Hunter, T'Challa's first girlfriend, Monica Rambeau and James Rhodes.