Page 164 of 192 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2875

Just wanted to say that I thought Uncanny #2 was unmitigated and unadulterated trash. The slipshod and incoherent plot notwithstanding, there's no way that Polaris and Storm are getting clobbered by a bunch of Madrox dupes. Just no way. This is compounded by Storm's ineffectual depiction as a leader. Where's the tactical proficiency? Where's the strategic application of her prowess as a seasoned veteran? She should be able to preternaturally construct a contingency to neutralize them. This should be a walk in the park but her characteriztion bespeaks that of a novice. Why did she ask Psylocke twice about whether or not she could identify M-Prime when it was evident that Betsy was incapable of doing that the first time? And what the was reasoning behind wantonly engaging the dupes in combat without any plan? Yikes.

And these writers are tripping over themselves with inconsistent and contradictory statements. You have Taylor declaring how uber-powerful Jean is supposed to be now that she can fully unleash her powers without restraint for fear of Phoenix corruption, and in this issue she needs Bishop's help to pry open the mouth of a dinosaur or some such thing. It doesn't add up. I just wish there was a moratorium on Storm's usage in these messy displays of incompetent and disrespectful writing. This is a character that pratically bodied a harem of unparalleled combatants whilst she was bleeding and recovering from a spinal injury...yet the most she can do here is summon some lightning and a gust of wind before being "overwhelmed". Goddess be merciful.

This error will probably be conveniently rectified come the next issue via the introdution of a plot-device or something but this was a poor showing. I hope to never see the X-Men in the Danger Room after this because it's clear that those sessions aren't amounting to much lmfao.
    Last edited by DavidMunroe; 11-21-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Just wanted to say that I thought Uncanny #2 was unmitigated and unadulterated trash. The slipshod and incoherent plot notwithstanding, there's no way that Polaris and Storm are getting clobbered by a bunch of Madrox dupes. Just no way. This is compounded by Storm's ineffectual depiction as a leader. Where's the tactical proficiency? Where's the strategic application of her prowess as a seasoned veteran? She should be able to preternaturally construct a contingency to neutralize them. This should be a walk in the park but her characteriztion bespeaks that of a novice. Why did she ask Psylocke twice about whether or not she could identify M-Prime when it was evident that Betsy was incapable of doing that the first time? And what the was reasoning behind wantonly engaging the dupes in combat without any plan? Yikes.

And these writers are tripping over themselves with inconsistent and contradictory statements. You have Taylor declaring how uber-powerful Jean is supposed to be now that she can fully unleash her powers without restraint for fear of Phoenix corruption, and in this issue she needs Bishop's help to pry open the mouth of a dinosaur or some such thing. It doesn't add up. I just wish there was a moratorium on Storm's usage in these messy displays of incompetent and disrespectful writing. This is a character that pratically bodied a harem of unparalleled combatants whilst she was bleeding and recovering from a spinal injury...yet the most she can do here is summon some lightning and a gust of wind before being "overwhelmed". Goddess be merciful.

This error will probably be conveniently rectified come the next issue via the introdution of a plot-device or something but this was a poor showing. I hope to never see the X-Men in the Danger Room after this because it's clear that those sessions aren't amounting to much lmfao.
    boo where have you been?? I've missed u!! and i will give a proper response when I get back from lunch.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    boo where have you been?? I've missed u!! and i will give a proper response when I get back from lunch.
    Awwwe, thank you so much. You are a darling and I've missed you too, beloved.

Have a delectable lunch!!!

Don't ever leave us again!
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    I'll try hard not to, Cookie!

*sends a warm cyber-hug*

can I say I always love reading your posts!!! now to your points. your commentary is 100× better than mine but this was essentially my issue with the story. seeing storm "lead" in such a cookie cutter way wasnt awe-inspiring as a fan of the character. from here we then see her, as well as Polaris, easily getting over taken by madrox copies. I didn't think about it at the time but your point about her spine being injuries made me think of another instance when she was powerless:

this goddess fought her way through a horde of demons with nothing but hunting knife. it's just silly how regressive these stories are and actually quite sad. how did we get to this place we are at now to where these current stories are perceived as good? I mean no disrespect but they don't hold a candle to the older stories.

now to jean I honestly find this interesting too. I was not a fan of red but it does demonstrate the deficiencies within the editorial staff. there should be more effort to ensure the stories are coherent but as we sadly witnessed with gold that is not occurring.

awww this made me smile (^_^) dont disappear for as long my friend!
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 11-21-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    hey boo how did u like the issues today?

can I say I always love reading your posts!!! now to your points. your commentary is 100× better than mine but this was essentially my issue with the story. seeing storm "lead" in such a cookie cutter way wasnt awe-inspiring as a fan of the character. from here we then see her, as well as Polaris, easily getting over taken by madrox copies. I didn't think about it at the time but your point about her spine being injuries made me think of another instance when she was powerless:

this goddess fought her way through a horde of demons with nothing but hunting knife. it's just silly how regressive these stories are and actually quite sad.

now to jean I honestly find this interesting too. I was not a fan of red but it does demonstrate the deficiencies within the editorial staff. there should be more effort to ensure the stories are coherent but as we sadly witnessed with gold that is not occurring.

awww this made me smile (^_^) dont disappear for as long my friend!
    Thank you Butterfly My sentiments exactly, only in reverse (to quote a Stormism lol).

Thank you for these scans. It's absolutely shocking reading instances like this and being cognizant of the entire context, doing what she's doing and reconciling that with what we have on display. Like I am stunned at how far she's being low-balled. Cyclops would never receive the same treatment lmfao. It is sad. I am in total agreement with that. I remain optimistic because I know that a lot of things can change within the span of 2-3 years and I believe this, combined with how she's been characterized since her return to the X-Men to be a prolonged wait at a way-station before Ororo's return to greatness!

Right. I mean...at this point even though one could surmise it, it's obvious that these writers aren't corresponding with one another or even paying attention to significant plot-points pertaining to characters that they're mutually using. I'm just...wow smh. I feel like one can't really be surprised at the situation with comics and declining sales at this point because all of this just justifies that. Like yeah there's pirating and what have you contributing to that, too, but the lack of regard and respect that a lot of these writers have for past stories, not to talk of stories that took place within a year of the stories that they're creating is astounding lmfao.

W/E, though. What are your thoughts on Ororo's characterization in Shuri?

Uncanny X-men is the book.
    There's a lot happing . The story is constantly moving, I'm on ride and I'm intrigued.
    Loving the cast and how well everyone is being used.
    Shout outs to Anole Rockslide Armor Pixie.

Love how they we're use to explain their fandom frustration.
    Welcome back Bishop and Jubilee.
    I love how there are so many moving parts and how Jean and Ororo know when to be team player and when to lead. The fact that it's a huge cast it does make it feel more authentic, like someone else said it felt like reading a clearmont book, and how they're using every part of the Mutant plight and agenda and universe

I kinda was expecting Storm to tornado the entire Madaox Town, but I guess it wouldn't be a story.lol.
    Last edited by BlkGldBlu; 11-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.

The whiplash is real, though. I feel like the X-Men and Marvel struck gold with Claremont. In that he was one of those once-in-a-lifetime types of creators that are just not cut from the same cloth as other artists. It could have been another writer and we might have never had Storm, a black woman, as leader of the X-Men (MArvel's commercial juggernaut at the height of its acclaim and success) and going toe-to-toe with such formidable male adversaries. I can concde that he sometimes had some...detrimental depictions of women and non-white characters but it's funny how we're living in an age where people are STILL clamouring for diversity and representation but Claremont just made Storm leader and a prominent character at that as if it was nothing.

I know Anole wasn't complaining about the sweres to Storm of all people. LMAO.
    Storm should make him leader of the Morlock for that crap

On the condition that Marvel's able to produce exceptional animation for the X-Men I would love for an X-Men Worlds Apart movie or special. I think it would be a good way to revitalize Storm's popularity for newcomers and to refortify her bond and the significance of her history with T'challa and Wakanda for the public. And I think that that would be an amazing story to adapt for the animated screen.

I also think that Storm NEEDS to have her own solo movie come the finalization of the MCU-Fox deal. It could be a debut or it could be after a cameo in BP as some are speculating would be a viable springboard for her introduction. She has the mythology (connection to Oshtur, Ashake, her mother's kingdom although that would require some extensive elaboration and expatiation) and has a compelling enough backstory to engender interest and dedication on a global level. I just think it's integral to her trajectory going forward that she solidifies herself as having a mythology of her own going forward.

Thank you Butterfly My sentiments exactly, only in reverse (to quote a Stormism lol).

Thank you for these scans. It's absolutely shocking reading instances like this and being cognizant of the entire context, doing what she's doing and reconciling that with what we have on display. Like I am stunned at how far she's being low-balled. Cyclops would never receive the same treatment lmfao. It is sad. I am in total agreement with that. I remain optimistic because I know that a lot of things can change within the span of 2-3 years and I believe this, combined with how she's been characterized since her return to the X-Men to be a prolonged wait at a way-station before Ororo's return to greatness!

Right. I mean...at this point even though one could surmise it, it's obvious that these writers aren't corresponding with one another or even paying attention to significant plot-points pertaining to characters that they're mutually using. I'm just...wow smh. I feel like one can't really be surprised at the situation with comics and declining sales at this point because all of this just justifies that. Like yeah there's pirating and what have you contributing to that, too, but the lack of regard and respect that a lot of these writers have for past stories, not to talk of stories that took place within a year of the stories that they're creating is astounding lmfao.

W/E, though. What are your thoughts on Ororo's characterization in Shuri?
    thanks beloved! i like your posts because they are not only spot on but i always have to have my dictionary handy lolol!!! i love your way with words.

you're welcome too for the scans! i know you don't fall into this category, but I highly recommend that fans of Ororo go back and make time to read the older Claremont stories. I know at times as complaining for the sake of it but reading those stories gave me such an appreciation for the character (than I already had) and it draws attention to how lacking these newer stories are. And you are absolutely right about the treatment of Storm versus Cyclops. Could you imagine any scenario where Cyclops would have been written as taking orders from Kitty? Claremont did so much writing a female character of color in way that was never seen during the 70s/80s and it just seems that either a lot has been down to water this version of her down or simply change this characterization so much so what we saw back in the day is a complete 180 of what we get today. I like your optimism and I think that you most definitely should keep that but that left a while back. I was very hopeful we would see her do something really epic during IvX but we know how that ended and what that eventually led to. I thank the GODDESS we had Coates around who really tried to write a story that aligned to some of her historical ones because I don't know how I would have managed as a Storm fan. His writing and his love for the character that has really kept me invested in Marvel honestly.

Which leads me to your last question. Before I go into my issues with Shuri 2, I love that the editorial team with BP has worked actively to ensure what is told in her book aligns to what is happening in the main BP books (we get a reference to her being a goddess even though I would have preferred her being called the Hadari Yao). I also loved Ororo's interaction with Shuri and her faithfulness to T'challa. However, I did not like at all how threatened she was shown to be by T'challa's ex; this type of characterization seems petty and just beneath how should would act even if internally she felt that way. This writer did a similar thing in World of Wakanda: Xmen when she was shown as being threatened by Malice. I think my main issue with Shuri is that the writing to me is not that great so though I don't think she is writing Ororo horribly the story itself has really grabbed me. How about you?

The whiplash is real, though. I feel like the X-Men and Marvel struck gold with Claremont. In that he was one of those once-in-a-lifetime types of creators that are just not cut from the same cloth as other artists. It could have been another writer and we might have never had Storm, a black woman, as leader of the X-Men (MArvel's commercial juggernaut at the height of its acclaim and success) and going toe-to-toe with such formidable male adversaries. I can concde that he sometimes had some...detrimental depictions of women and non-white characters but it's funny how we're living in an age where people are STILL clamouring for diversity and representation but Claremont just made Storm leader and a prominent character at that as if it was nothing.
    They really did. He came at the right time and was able to revitalize a dying franchise. And this is so funny you made this point about what ground-breaking thing he did with Ororo as I was making a similar point to you in the post I just made. There were definitely lacking areas in the way he chose to depict the types of characters that you mentioned but I do appreciate him being a trendsetter in making a black woman a leader of a diverse cast, including white men characters, when that was not anything close to the standard.

On the condition that Marvel's able to produce exceptional animation for the X-Men I would love for an X-Men Worlds Apart movie or special. I think it would be a good way to revitalize Storm's popularity for newcomers and to refortify her bond and the significance of her history with T'challa and Wakanda for the public. And I think that that would be an amazing story to adapt for the animated screen.

I also think that Storm NEEDS to have her own solo movie come the finalization of the MCU-Fox deal. It could be a debut or it could be after a cameo in BP as some are speculating would be a viable springboard for her introduction. She has the mythology (connection to Oshtur, Ashake, her mother's kingdom although that would require some extensive elaboration and expatiation) and has a compelling enough backstory to engender interest and dedication on a global level. I just think it's integral to her trajectory going forward that she solidifies herself as having a mythology of her own going forward.
    I would love an introduction in BP (kinda how Wonder Woman was introduced in BvS) followed with a solo movie. I think such a movie would be epic if handled appropriately.

spoilers ahead.....

probably my favorite scans from shuri. storm becomes a beng of pure lightning and proclaims she is a goddess. as slow as this issue was I can respect this:

also the ancient spirits welcome her back to Wakanda:

I love how the BP offices are integrating her to the world of wakanda even from the ancestral perspective.
    Sometimes I feel like I should just read Black Panther for my Storm fix. I really wish she would become lightning.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.