Page 165 of 192 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2875
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I should just read Black Panther for my Storm fix. I really wish she would become lightning.
    My beloved, I have been telling yall this for the longest that her best representation has come from the BP line of the comics. lol. The xoffices have zero interest in showing Ororo in the respectful way that (I believe at least) she should be characterized. When the BP books were setting the stage for her to evolve into what she was always meant to be - an actual goddess as it is in her bloodline - the Xoffices were working to challenge that storyline by creating one that showed her to be the exact opposite. Making the point of her not being anything without the tool of a white Norse god. The contrast couldn't be more apparent and I truly believe this is because the writers over on the BP side are more diverse in thought when it comes to representation of people of color, particularly black women. I think this is why there has been such a push to show how important black females are to the world of Wakanda which we have seen in many of the BP stories released.

That said, did you read this issue of shuri? what were your thoughts?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    thanks beloved! i like your posts because they are not only spot on but i always have to have my dictionary handy lolol!!! i love your way with words.

you're welcome too for the scans! i know you don't fall into this category, but I highly recommend that fans of Ororo go back and make time to read the older Claremont stories. I know at times as complaining for the sake of it but reading those stories gave me such an appreciation for the character (than I already had) and it draws attention to how lacking these newer stories are. And you are absolutely right about the treatment of Storm versus Cyclops. Could you imagine any scenario where Cyclops would have been written as taking orders from Kitty? Claremont did so much writing a female character of color in way that was never seen during the 70s/80s and it just seems that either a lot has been down to water this version of her down or simply change this characterization so much so what we saw back in the day is a complete 180 of what we get today. I like your optimism and I think that you most definitely should keep that but that left a while back. I was very hopeful we would see her do something really epic during IvX but we know how that ended and what that eventually led to. I thank the GODDESS we had Coates around who really tried to write a story that aligned to some of her historical ones because I don't know how I would have managed as a Storm fan. His writing and his love for the character that has really kept me invested in Marvel honestly.

Which leads me to your last question. Before I go into my issues with Shuri 2, I love that the editorial team with BP has worked actively to ensure what is told in her book aligns to what is happening in the main BP books (we get a reference to her being a goddess even though I would have preferred her being called the Hadari Yao). I also loved Ororo's interaction with Shuri and her faithfulness to T'challa. However, I did not like at all how threatened she was shown to be by T'challa's ex; this type of characterization seems petty and just beneath how should would act even if internally she felt that way. This writer did a similar thing in World of Wakanda: Xmen when she was shown as being threatened by Malice. I think my main issue with Shuri is that the writing to me is not that great so though I don't think she is writing Ororo horribly the story itself has really grabbed me. How about you?
    Hahaha *rises to occassion and challenge*, thank you.

I echo your sentiments. It's a form of purification or a detox, even. It's incredibly, though, how a lot of characters' essences have relatively remained intact or their value has increased substantively over the years, whereas with Ororo it's like a concerted effort has been mounted to dminish her credibility and efforts. I just wish it wasn't so obvious that these writers weren't interested either in Ororo or the X-Men as a team save for a select segment of characters. It's a bit discouraging. Lmfaooo never could i see Cyclops as one of Kitten's subordinates. Even the visual is enough to make me giggle! I understand, honey. IvX was...wow. What a tragedy for Storm's legitimacy as a character and as a leader. I don't even think it would be that bad if her perfunctory performance was restricted to a satellite title with minimal repercussions, but it was in a relatively prominent event in which scores of fans were able to witness how her character was being assasinated. It was like eating expired food, or worse.

Yes, even if I haven't been a fan of Coates' characterization of T'challa I am deeply appreciative of how much his affection for the character is exemplified through the reconstitution of her relationship with T'challa/Wakanda and her Goddesshood (although this, I feel, would benefit from supplementary exploration in a solo/mini. Can't believe they haven't even bothered to give her a mini smh) and how much he has deepened the tapestry of her character and provided safe respite and repose in this turbulent period lol.

Thank you for your outlook and response. I have of yet to read the issue actually just because I wasn't particularly moved by the...intensity, so to speak, of the writing (something that I could say for a lot of Marvel titles, tbh) but I appreciate her usage and the reinstatement of Storm's relevancy in Wakanda...

They really did. He came at the right time and was able to revitalize a dying franchise. And this is so funny you made this point about what ground-breaking thing he did with Ororo as I was making a similar point to you in the post I just made. There were definitely lacking areas in the way he chose to depict the types of characters that you mentioned but I do appreciate him being a trendsetter in making a black woman a leader of a diverse cast, including white men characters, when that was not anything close to the standard.

I would love an introduction in BP (kinda how Wonder Woman was introduced in BvS) followed with a solo movie. I think such a movie would be epic if handled appropriately.
    Right.

That would be amazing and epic. Do you think, though, that Storm could carry her own solo movie right off that bat without using any other avenue as a segway? I think it could work. Considering how prevalent the notion of "Black Girl Magic" is in society and how Storm is basically the epitome of that, I think if the casting were right and the promotion was ubiquitous enough and pertinent it could work.Ii mean hey, Captain Marvel can do it why not Storm? Although I suppose from a narrative standpoint it would make more sense to have it serve as a sequence/chapter in the succession of an over-arching narrative rather than a movie just to introduce her, but still.

My beloved, I have been telling yall this for the longest that her best representation has come from the BP line of the comics. lol. The xoffices have zero interest in showing Ororo in the respectful way that (I believe at least) she should be characterized. When the BP books were setting the stage for her to evolve into what she was always meant to be - an actual goddess as it is in her bloodline - the Xoffices were working to challenge that storyline by creating one that showed her to be the exact opposite. Making the point of her not being anything without the tool of a white Norse god. The contrast couldn't be more apparent and I truly believe this is because the writers over on the BP side are more diverse in thought when it comes to representation of people of color, particularly black women. I think this is why there has been such a push to show how important black females are to the world of Wakanda which we have seen in many of the BP stories released.

That said, did you read this issue of shuri? what were your thoughts?
    Truth...nothing but truth here.

Haven't read the issue yet but it's in my list of comics to read this week
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I actually thought today's issue was far better than last week's. I thought it was decent. Of course, there was some issue filled with plotdumb
    Last edited by Jalysia; 11-21-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Hahaha *rises to occassion and challenge*, thank you.

I echo your sentiments. It's a form of purification or a detox, even. It's incredibly, though, how a lot of characters' essences have relatively remained intact or their value has increased substantively over the years, whereas with Ororo it's like a concerted effort has been mounted to dminish her credibility and efforts. I just wish it wasn't so obvious that these writers weren't interested either in Ororo or the X-Men as a team save for a select segment of characters. It's a bit discouraging. Lmfaooo never could i see Cyclops as one of Kitten's subordinates. Even the visual is enough to make me giggle! I understand, honey. IvX was...wow. What a tragedy for Storm's legitimacy as a character and as a leader. I don't even think it would be that bad if her perfunctory performance was restricted to a satellite title with minimal repercussions, but it was in a relatively prominent event in which scores of fans were able to witness how her character was being assasinated. It was like eating expired food, or worse.

Yes, even if I haven't been a fan of Coates' characterization of T'challa I am deeply appreciative of how much his affection for the character is exemplified through the reconstitution of her relationship with T'challa/Wakanda and her Goddesshood (although this, I feel, would benefit from supplementary exploration in a solo/mini. Can't believe they haven't even bothered to give her a mini smh) and how much he has deepened the tapestry of her character and provided safe respite and repose in this turbulent period lol.

Thank you for your outlook and response. I have of yet to read the issue actually just because I wasn't particularly moved by the...intensity, so to speak, of the writing (something that I could say for a lot of Marvel titles, tbh) but I appreciate her usage and the reinstatement of Storm's relevancy in Wakanda...

lololol you're so welcome.

why do you think this is the case for ororo, where others have stayed the same or grown, her characterization both in power and relevance in the comics has been diminished? she is always credited as being one of the most powerful mutants within mu but why is she rarely shown as such by the offices who own the character? and I love your analogy eating expired food has been my akin to my reaction to a lot of the stories she has been featured in within the xbooks for quite a while now.

as you mentioned coates has been my saving grace during this uninspiring time. why allow coates to use the character in BP to only virtually ignore all that was being written about her with her development in BP? I mean when was seriously she got any development as big as she has in coates run? it's something that can be explained with already established canon it's not too much they would even need to further develop. this honestly is the only thing that keeps me coming back and that's the hope coates finally gets a chance to work on what he started in BP with her.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Right.

That would be amazing and epic. Do you think, though, that Storm could carry her own solo movie right off that bat without using any other avenue as a segway? I think it could work. Considering how prevalent the notion of "Black Girl Magic" is in society and how Storm is basically the epitome of that, I think if the casting were right and the promotion was ubiquitous enough and pertinent it could work.Ii mean hey, Captain Marvel can do it why not Storm? Although I suppose from a narrative standpoint it would make more sense to have it serve as a sequence/chapter in the succession of an over-arching narrative rather than a movie just to introduce her, but still.
    I think she could definitely do it in a world after WW and Black Panther, though I like the idea of at least some type of hint to a solo film . I mean I would settle at even a thunderbolt symbol or some witty line about a storm is brewing in a post credit scene. but to your point I think either can and would work.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Truth...nothing but truth here.

Haven't read the issue yet but it's in my list of comics to read this week
    please keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    I actually thought today's issue was far better than last week's. I thought it was decent. Of course, there was some issue filled with plotdumb
    her gurl.. where u been lurking?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-22-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

any who..

dont we miss the days when ororo would change her outfit by manipulating the unstable molecules in her costume?

Leah Williams talks comics writers, character flaws and beloved X-Men. How Ororo was treated in the DPS

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...726248448?s=19

hey storm fans please vote for storm and share with your friends!! voting ends Sunday

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-elite-8-vote/

uncanny xmen 3 preview

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Leah Williams talks comics writers, character flaws and beloved X-Men. How Ororo was treated in the DPS

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...726248448?s=19
    who is she? and why so much outrage?

I do think this should have been addressed by ororo byt these types of things would probably never be addressed.

who is she? and why so much outrage?

I do think this should have been addressed by ororo byt these types of things would probably never be addressed.
    Implying Jean's a racist while ignoring what Mastermind did to orchestrate that situation. She wrote the X-men Black Emma issue and will be on X-tremists

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Implying Jean's a racist while ignoring what Mastermind did to orchestrate that situation. She wrote the X-men Black Emma issue and will be on X-tremists
    I find the discussion very intriguing. I wondered what prompted this. also I know mastermind was creating the illusion but wasnt he bringing forth the evil part of jeans mind to the forefront?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This is a bit reductive. Williams is talking about actually thinking through what made these moments come to be. Jean thought she was living the life of an ancestor and never gave a second thought to that ancestor being a slave owner. It's part of Jean's ancestry and it speaks to the reality of America today. Williams' whole point is that we can't ignore the unsavoury elements of our favourite characters because that means turning a blind eye to social problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    This is a bit reductive. Williams is talking about actually thinking through what made these moments come to be. Jean thought she was living the life of an ancestor and never gave a second thought to that ancestor being a slave owner. It's part of Jean's ancestry and it speaks to the reality of America today. Williams' whole point is that we can't ignore the unsavoury elements of our favourite characters because that means turning a blind eye to social problems.
    I'm going to have to cosign this 100% well said and agreed to it all.

What i enjoyed about reading the comics then is that they were raw and you had moments like the one where Jean was a racist against Ororo, which felt real and unfiltered. I couldn't imagine anything like that in a comic today because things are so PC now and that is unfortunate. However, I agree ignoring or trying to justify these moments don't allow for a honest discussion regarding the characters or how its impact to what is endured today in society.