Page 167 of 192 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2875

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Thank u for the preview but for the life of me, I wish the story was bigger...it seem like such a waste with all those characters.

Also, Val...Baby, don't you dumb down for any man. Make him come up to your level.
    I get your point and I get why that wasn't the case. It was basically a means to an end to bring the Sue and Reed back. The villain was a big threat, but if she was utilized to her full potential then the book would have to keep upping the threats. And there isn't much higher than the universal embodiment of entropy.

I'm happier with issue 2 when I think of it more as a nice acknowledgement of all the past temporary members. I'd like to see Storm guest appear again, but by herself so that she has things to do and we get to see her interactions with the team.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Thank u for the preview but for the life of me, I wish the story was bigger...it seem like such a waste with all those characters.

Also, Val...Baby, don't you dumb down for any man. Make him come up to your level.
    Hmmm yeah-not buying this issue either (especially since it look like they are leaving and won’t be doing anything worth the coins.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I expected more from this, but oh well. Not sure why Johnny trippin so much for Bobby being a FF Member dude chill.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    My beloved, I have been telling yall this for the longest that her best representation has come from the BP line of the comics. lol. The xoffices have zero interest in showing Ororo in the respectful way that (I believe at least) she should be characterized. When the BP books were setting the stage for her to evolve into what she was always meant to be - an actual goddess as it is in her bloodline - the Xoffices were working to challenge that storyline by creating one that showed her to be the exact opposite. Making the point of her not being anything without the tool of a white Norse god. The contrast couldn't be more apparent and I truly believe this is because the writers over on the BP side are more diverse in thought when it comes to representation of people of color, particularly black women. I think this is why there has been such a push to show how important black females are to the world of Wakanda which we have seen in many of the BP stories released.

That said, did you read this issue of shuri? what were your thoughts?
    I enjoyed Shuri. She and Storm have such a good chemistry under Okorafor’s pen. It is a bit of a slow burn and I can see how they are looking to expand her role in the MU (with Groot & RR bing in the next issue) but I thought the issue was decent. 7/10. I’m hoping Astro, is recurring in her book as well as BP, and further explores her relationship and build history with Storm, Shuri & Okoye/main Dora Milaje leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Thanks SP for sharing!!!

Now my thoughts. I loved that she called him an idiot as you mentioned because she is absolutely right!!

What I don't like. Why is she drawn to look so short in that first can. Also, why is everyone referred to by their actual names but then when they talk to Ororo they call her Storm? I hated that in the movies and I especially don't like to see it here. It just seems less personal when they write things that way. Other than that I'm curious to see what happens.

I wonder if Ororo will make an appearance in BP next week do we have the scans for those yet?
    This art is terrible. They not only look poorly proportioned but men in cosplay.

All - didn’t get Shuri so sounds like I guess I will go check it out. I didn’t mind Uncanny but did feel like the Storm’s team was jobbing. Just finished reading the Uxm 3 preview thread and just lol. Some of the logic in the posts seem to go over the heads of some of the defenders of the title. I think the judgment on the writing being bad is premature, but I do get it and agree that Storm and co.are being written down pretty heavily and a bit noobish.

Quote Originally Posted by STORM1977 View Post
    This art is terrible. They not only look poorly proportioned but men in cosplay.

All - didn’t get Shuri so sounds like I guess I will go check it out. I didn’t mind Uncanny but did feel like the Storm’s team was jobbing. Just finished reading the Uxm 3 preview thread and just lol. Some of the logic in the posts seem to go over the heads of some of the defenders of the title. I think the judgment on the writing being bad is premature, but I do get it and agree that Storm and co.are being written down pretty heavily and a bit noobish.
    That’s what irks me the most. Like if this was Cyclops or Magneto they would have them enter the fray with a plan and respect their combat history vs having them land in the middle without any intel and just... go for it lol. So stupid. And that’s why I haven’t bought the series and judge it harshly from the start. This writing team will be no better than Guggenheim, Lemire, Aaron or Bendis (and Taylor - though he is more about JG and I like how he writes her) with their lack of respect/appreciation for Storm. We’re only 2 issues in and the #3 preview is looking equally PIS’d so far (like why are they still fighting them upclose after getting mobbed and when they have better tactical options to deploy at range?).

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    That’s what irks me the most. Like if this was Cyclops or Magneto they would have them enter the fray with a plan and respect their combat history vs having them land in the middle without any intel and just... go for it lol. So stupid. And that’s why I haven’t bought the series and judge it harshly from the start. This writing team will be no better than Guggenheim, Lemire, Aaron or Bendis (and Taylor - though he is more about JG and I like how he writes her) with their lack of respect/appreciation for Storm. We’re only 2 issues in and the #3 preview is looking equally PIS’d so far (like why are they still fighting them upclose after getting mobbed and when they have better tactical options to deploy at range?).
    Seriously. Exactly what I conveyed to Kyss before, Cyclops would NEVER be subjected to this level of incorrect characterization or being portrayed as a bumbling newbie.

Anyways laid ease, Happy Birthday to Chris Claremont and Storm
    854ae7e2441d3b2130b55cc8d2d20399.jpg
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Happy birthday to the greats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Anyways laid ease, Happy Birthday to Chris Claremont and Storm
    854ae7e2441d3b2130b55cc8d2d20399.jpg
    Still my all time fave look. LaRocca <3

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Seriously. Exactly what I conveyed to Kyss before, Cyclops would NEVER be subjected to this level of incorrect characterization or being portrayed as a bumbling newbie.
    Yep. This level of PIS is a very scary foreshadowing for what will happen to her in Disassembled, losing her weave in AoXM and not getting a leadership role of significance when the “prodigal son” returns. That’s what’s scary and very clarifying that there is not an x-universe plan to see Storm’s star rise. Even as Marvel pushes for Calt Marvel to be their leading lady they could still push for a leading lady of color - it’s idiocy not try to restore Ororo to prominence (X-Men/ soon to be former Fox property) or no.

I think we will have to wait until Feige brings a stellar Storm to the big screen before we see the comics trying to do anything of note with her. Even then it may just be a half-asses attempt. As well as BP did in Civil War and his solo film, his comics presence amounts to an [all but honorary] Avengers leadership position, a random space adventure, and a slew of poorly developed cash-in spin-offs.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Save your money on Return of Wolverine. The X-men looked like amateurs. They get flooded with gas and Storm does nothing. Its not like she doesnt control winds and can get rid of that. She disappeared after the gas was released so I can only assume Naptime has returned

BANNED

It was actually funny Return of Wolverine. WHY Because I KNEW he was about to beat the X-men LOL. Typical Wolverine Bullshit. "Oh, I know how they fight, I know their weaknesses and strengths."....shut up. -_- I SO called it.....I knew he was going to pull some dookie Excuse to take down half the X-Men that went to go find him.

The ones that got embarressed today, by the short man were: Kurt, Bobby and Jean. I'm sure Storm and Kitty will get theirs since Logan goes full Beserker on them -_-

And there was NO Storm sighting in Black Panther #6, however: spoilers:
    We can say Goodbye to Goddess Bast
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 11-28-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks all. So no books for me this week again then ! I only get a BP issue if Storm appears so that’s out, UXM sounds equally weak suace (& hopefully no more Storm jobbing) so that’s out and RoW sounds dumb and full of PIS/CIS (Jean would cakewalk Logan, hot claws lol or no). Most likely Bobby should’ve too. So I am sure the plot will have Storm try to reason with him, issue empty threats, doesn’t think she needs to defend herself & will get KTFO by him or the gas that should easily handle while Kitty lolz and phases him into a solid object to neutralize him, thus saving the day. It seems that every time we pull the lever the x-writer slot machine comes up - lemon, lemon, lemon.
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 11-28-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    You know...I think this is someting of a quandary/quagmire. I mean it's not that Claremont didn't go above and beyond to construct and substantially supplement Storm's tapestry as a character whilst deepening her characterization and adding complexity to her development and motivations all the while positioning her and solidifiying her status as a member of one of Marvel's most commercially successfull franchises--so you'd think that that would be an attractive package for prospective creators to want to subsequently explore and progress because she's such a treasure-trove of storytelling potentialities...but it's the exact opposite. I feel like a lot of her trajectory as a character was derailed and disrupted almost immediately after Claremont's departure during the 90s' as she turned into a glorified figure-head in that she was present but didn't have much of a presence and was hollow in terms of exploring her internal vagaries except for select circumstances/situations. Most of the narrative for the X-Men zeroed in on Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops, Cable, Xavier and Magneto for much of that period and Storm was more or less tokenized. I don't want to assume it's because she's black and a woman but unfortunately that is probably the case. As you probably already know it was an extremely stagnant period and aside from a couple of costume changes her character didn't move or contribute to the progression of the narrative in a noticeable and/or historical way so she just skirted along until Claremont's return.

Then there's the fact that whilst X-Treme X-Men was a boon in that Claremont could expend his undivided attention on her development, X-Treme X-Men wasn't the flagship and the overarching narrative was predicated by whatever was going on in Morrison's book, which Ororo was not a part of. Additionally once Ororo's team relocated to Uncanny, Astonishing was the flagship and was headlined by Cyclops and co. which again excluded Ororo (Astonishing made it seem as if Storm and her team didn't even exist smh) and the stories that were being told in Uncanny at that time were...interesting to say the least lol. So I think periodically since the 90s her pre-existing credibility as a character went into a state of increasing decay or something so that she didn't appear as relevant as Scott et lal because events never had her at the forefront/weren't about her. Then there's those horrendous movies that butchered Ororo's characterization and turned her into something that she isn't.

I think that a lot of this could have been remedied by Ororo being established as a viable solo character in the same vein as Wolverine in the '80s. Claremont should have struck whilst the iron was hot and pitched for a mini-series, at the very least if not a solo and it could have taken place during her sabbatical when she went to Kenya after she stepped down as leader. I think that's the crux of the damage that she's sustained over the years. Had the foundations for her own rogues gallery and world been laid and fortified when she was at her height in terms of prominence and relevance (the same way Cable received his own solo during the 90s at his peak) then that could have been capitalized upon to turn her into a lucrative commodity the same way Wolverine has. I also think had this been the case one could have mitigated upon the issues that began to surface between Storm and the Black Panther as characters towards the end of their marriage. They marriage might not have even been annulled the way that it was, if at all because Storm could confidently exist as an independent and autonomos entity free from the bondage of the X-Office.

What about you? What are your thoughts?
    I actually agree with your assessment 100%. Ultimately, as you mentioned earlier I think this boils down to her being a black woman. Since her unceremonious return to the Xmen after her annulled marriage I can't think of anything noteworthy the character has been involved with as it relates to the franchise of the Xoffice other than being Headmistress of a school due to Logan absence and then leading a failed war against the Inhumans. I can't help but attribute this to her being a woman of color when you have a black author who has featured her in maybe 10 or so stories tops over the past 2 years give her one of the biggest developments since she was married to Tchalla while the xoffices over the past 5 years have done nothing but focus heavily on what she can't do:
    • couldn't fight/go to war with the Inhumans,
    • couldn't keep it together after logan's death,
    • couldn't destroy the terrigen mist clouds as a weather manipulator,
    • couldn't use her powers unless there is weather,
    • couldn't defeat a god without the help of a Norse god tool)

I jut don't think this is a coincidence, which is why diversity is SOOO important. All in all, well said! I think your analysis is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I enjoyed Shuri. She and Storm have such a good chemistry under Okorafor’s pen. It is a bit of a slow burn and I can see how they are looking to expand her role in the MU (with Groot & RR bing in the next issue) but I thought the issue was decent. 7/10. I’m hoping Astro, is recurring in her book as well as BP, and further explores her relationship and build history with Storm, Shuri & Okoye/main Dora Milaje leadership.
    agreed. I like Shuri and Ororo's chemistry as well. My only main complaint is that i don't care for her being written as movie shuri. She seems very child-like at times and I preferred Coates' version of her to the one we are seeing in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by STORM1977 View Post

Yea I already checked out of Uncanny after issue 1. I'm tired of reading stories with Storm being under utilized.

The lack of traffic in the forum these days is a further indication of how tragically the character is being used. Oh well. Back to lurking.

TTYL
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!