Page 173 of 192 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2875

Honestly, in my opinion, Ororo would not be very interested in those people. Ororo would be highly critical of people in places of power and wealth in a world that is so brutal and unjust. Ororo's parents were killed by European/American warplanes invading Egypt for colonial control of its waterways. She has been on the streets. She was head of state of the most advanced country in the world, one that doesn't have colonial wars or an exploitative economic model. As someone so in tune with the environment, humanitarian in nature, and savvy in politics in a way that transcends almost all everyday people in the world, I would think she would find Michelle and Kamala to be pawns of an unjust government, and Oprah to be a predatory proponent of excessive consumerism.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Honestly, in my opinion, Ororo would not be very interested in those people. Ororo would be highly critical of people in places of power and wealth in a world that is so brutal and unjust. Ororo's parents were killed by European/American warplanes invading Egypt for colonial control of its waterways. She has been on the streets. She was head of state of the most advanced country in the world, one that doesn't have colonial wars or an exploitative economic model. As someone so in tune with the environment, humanitarian in nature, and savvy in politics in a way that transcends almost all everyday people in the world, I would think she would find Michelle and Kamala to be pawns of an unjust government, and Oprah to be a predatory proponent of excessive consumerism.
    this was actually a similar point exodus was making. now my question to that is how do we reconcile her befriending and working with the likes of Emma? She has done far worse things than either of those real life women, yet she still works with her and some wild even argue they are friends?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    this was actually a similar point exodus was making. now my question to that is how do we reconcile her befriending and working with the likes of Emma? She has done far worse things than either of those real life women, yet she still works with her and some wild even argue they are friends?
    I honestly don't think Ororo would ever really, truly love, befriend, or even respect Emma after all they went through back in the day, but at the end of the day, Ororo has reconciled with Rogue, and Magneto, for example, to various degrees. They are comrades in arms at the end of the day, so a modicum of respect is earned in that way. Michelle and Oprah have never been in the midst of battle fighting by her side. Ororo is politically savvy enough to be gracious if she were to meet them, but no, I don't think she would be very much into them for real.

I honestly don't think Ororo would ever really, truly love, befriend, or even respect Emma after all they went through back in the day, but at the end of the day, Ororo has reconciled with Rogue, and Magneto, for example, to various degrees. They are comrades in arms at the end of the day, so a modicum of respect is earned in that way. Michelle and Oprah have never been in the midst of battle fighting by her side. Ororo is politically savvy enough to be gracious if she were to meet them, but no, I don't think she would be very much into them for real.
    I totally agree with your first statements. I just dont see the level of betrayal she has endured with Emma throughout their interactions, including the most recent one in xmen black, being acceptable to Ororo. I mean, in the case of Rogue and even Magneto, I dont believe those people ever crossed her after said reconciliation occurred ( could be wrong here). To your last points I guess that is fair points (even though I could see then having a nice relationship based upon their personalities and not necessarily the politics aspects of them). What real life people do you see Ororo befriending ?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I think Ororo would have LOVED Wangari Maathai, Octavia Butler, Maya Angelou, and Angela Davis, for example, of real-world black women of power.

In terms of modern pop cultural people, I think Ororo would be interested in:

Whores of Babylon....

I think Ororo would have LOVED Wangari Maathai, Octavia Butler, Maya Angelou, and Angela Davis, for example, of real-world black women of power.
    i like angela davis. I'm not familiar with wangari. what are your thoughts about assata shukur?

In terms of modern pop cultural people, I think Ororo would be interested in:

Whores of Babylon....
    lolol no one in popular culture ? I'm trying to think of a living person.. let me get back to you on that one as I thought Michelle and Kamala were good choices.

i like angela davis. I'm not familiar with wangari. what are your thoughts about assata shukur?
    Wangari was from Kenya and helped reforest large areas through her own efforts and in leading various organization. She died a few years back, but back in the day, it would have been a great story for her to meet Ororo.

Assata is a contentious figure, for certain. Without knowing the exact details of what when down before she fled the country, it's hard to say how Ororo would think of her(how much of the 'facts' are just invented by the CIA/FBI as disinformation?). Ororo has been characterized as something of a law keeper at times, and very much a rebel at others. I would err more toward the rebellious characterization and thus think Ororo would at least be receptive of Assata's 'by whatever means necessary' tactics.

Wangari was from Kenya and helped reforest large areas through her own efforts and in leading various organization. She died a few years back, but back in the day, it would have been a great story for her to meet Ororo.

Assata is a contentious figure, for certain. Without knowing the exact details of what when down before she fled the country, it's hard to say how Ororo would think of her(how much of the 'facts' are just invented by the CIA/FBI as disinformation?). Ororo has been characterized as something of a law keeper at times, and very much a rebel at others. I would err more toward the rebellious characterization and thus think Ororo would at least be receptive of Assata's 'by whatever means necessary' tactics.
    Very inspiring especially when you consider the recent climate change reports. It's good to know she was actively working to combat the footprint we as humans have left on this planent.

And i'm leaning towards she would be receptive to the ideals of Assata as well!

oh question rider. what are your thoughts on Storm being friends with black female political figures such as Michelle Obama, Kamala Harris, and Oprah? we were having an interesting debate yesterday and would love your thoughts on this.
    Good question. I think this would speaks to the complexity of Storm’s persona.

If these ladies existed in the 616 universe I think Storm would be friends with them. I think, to a degree, she would separate the political/public realm vs the world of heroes/where her closest familial relationships exist vs how she sees them as a person. I think she’s pragmatic and recognizes that, like situations she’s encountered when trying to save the world/do the right thing, not all solutions are black and white, moral or elegant, that those same circumstances exist on the political battlefield, and that she may categorize these relationships as potential resources vs true friendship depending how they use their power in the world.

I think the depth of her connection to these women would ultimately fall into how she sees them as people. Not like with Wolverine, Rachel or Cyclops, people she loves but has had moral conflict with on a whole other level, but accounting for their political actions weighing more than their stance on issues, and would dictate how close she would be with them. Like I think she would see these women as strong black women who have political/public power and influence, and ultimately as flawed as she is, but with good intentions. If they succeed fail/agree disagree with their stance she would still have a good/strong relationship with them as long as they were good people. I think that would matter more to Ororo than their wealth or the social circles they run in.

I think a game changer for her would if they took actions that were oppressive or exploitstive to others (like Yukio being a crime boss of a large criminal empire). She would become an enemy if she couldn’t get them to change. Let me know if this isn’t responsive to what you are looking to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Good question. I think this would speaks to the complexity of Storm’s persona.

If these ladies existed in the 616 universe I think Storm would be friends with them. I think, to a degree, she would separate the political/public realm vs the world of heroes/where her closest familial relationships exist vs how she sees them as a person. I think she’s pragmatic and recognizes that, like situations she’s encountered when trying to save the world/do the right thing, not all solutions are black and white, moral or elegant, that those same circumstances exist on the political battlefield, and that she may categorize these relationships as potential resources vs true friendship depending how they use their power in the world.

I think the depth of her connection to these women would ultimately fall into how she sees them as people. Not like with Wolverine, Rachel or Cyclops, people she loves but has had moral conflict with on a whole other level, but accounting for their political actions weighing more than their stance on issues, and would dictate how close she would be with them. Like I think she would see these women as strong black women who have political/public power and influence, and ultimately as flawed as she is, but with good intentions. If they succeed fail/agree disagree with their stance she would still have a good/strong relationship with them as long as they were good people. I think that would matter more to Ororo than their wealth or the social circles they run in.

I think a game changer for her would if they took actions that were oppressive or exploitstive to others (like Yukio being a crime boss of a large criminal empire). She would become an enemy if she couldn’t get them to change. Let me know if this isn’t responsive to what you are looking to discuss.
    Let me just start off by saying this is why you are so dear to me, ok! This is exactly why I think she would be friends with them due to your how you perfectly said this. Things are not so black and white as Ororo would be fully acquainted.

I forgot how things resolved with yukio. they were still friends by the end of that arc even though storm was highly disappointed in her actions. and was it ever explained why she was in a wheelchair? I havent read that story in quite some time.

and no your response was perfect thank you boo!!

Let me just start off by saying this is why you are so dear to me, ok! This is exactly why I think she would be friends with them due to your how you perfectly said this. Things are not so black and white as Ororo would be fully acquainted.

I forgot how things resolved with yukio. they were still friends by the end of that arc even though storm was highly disappointed in her actions. and was it ever explained why she was in a wheelchair? I havent read that story in quite some time.

and no your response was perfect thank you boo!!
    Awww back at cha’ Kyss <3...

On Yukio from what I recall Lady Deathstrike severed her spine. I think Storm still loves Yukio and I like to see that bread crumb revisited, especially woth Wolverine returning. Some bro time for Storm, Logan and there fave ronin.

Did we ever see this before? I thought the list was cool. I’d make some changes to the ranking (and don’t 100% agree with some commentary) I love that elemental control o
    Is #1:

https://www.cbr.com/best-superpowers-ranked/

1. Elemental control comes in many forms, and it is clear that some are nowhere near as powerful as others. Two examples on the weaker end of the spectrum are the ability to control fire and ice. The biggest examples are from Marvel with Iceman and The Human Torch. Both have proven to be incredibly powerful, although it all depends on who is writing them.

More powerful is Thor, who, as the god of thunder, can control the weather. However, if a person can control all the elements, that superhero could become the most powerful character in the world. Storm comes closest, as she can control the weather and atmosphere to an almost limitless degree, and is one of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe. When a person can control the elements, there is little that can get in their way.