Page 26 of 192 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I love the one shoulder cape thing. I wish they would let Storm wear more red. That's one of the reasons her X-treme costume is one of my faves and this reminds me of that.
    Thanks. I liked the symmetrical cape Asrar did, but I hate the big X buckle on her belly, so I thought this would be a neat twist on that, while also evoking the 90's X shoulder pads(and obviously the X-Treme color scheme). It also reminds me of a toga or something like that this way, which fits her regal nature. I imagine she can detach it from her wristband and wrap it over her torso to attach it to her hip pipping during downtime.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Agreed. I think Coates has done well with humanizing Storm while still managing to maintain her "otherness." He has captured her voice perfectly and has shown he is more than capable of portraying the many different aspects of her personality.
    exactly. this is why I need this solo to happen sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Want an early Sunday laugh? Check out Storm throwing shade at Rogue

LOL....bitch
    I never noticed this when I watched so a child. yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    Brisson is clearly not a fan of our Windrider. He killed her twice in the same issue (Extinction- AU version and future self) Let’s hope he doesn’t take over a main book with her in it.
    good point boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I disagree. I think Basset would have elevated the material. The writing for Storm may have sucked but at least the part would have been well acted. I still cringe at how meek and demure Berry was with her acting. And this is no shade towards Basset, who brings it to EVERY role she has ever been in, but she's been in plenty of dog movies in her career, so her being in X-men wouldn't have hurt her career in anyway imo. I guess I am just being selfish. If I had to watch a poorly written Storm, at least do it with an actress who could elevate the material and have some commanding presence on the screen.
    I see your point but even acted well foxmen storm has never been that important of a character. these movies dont write themselves, and even if we got the presentation angela brought would that make the lightning striking a toad any better? as much as people give halle grief she at that time was at the top of the acting game and after storm not having an important role in x2 she lobbied for storm to have a bigger role in x3. would Angela have done the same? and even with halles effort storm was still an under utilized character in the entirety of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Would Angela have been able to do that, or would Singer and the others directed her performance in another direction? If you look at his filmography, there are basically no badass capable women in any of his films.

Anyways, I made a sketch of a Storm costume. Inspired by her current Red look, but also thinking of many of her past looks.

Attachment 69548
    nice artwork thanks for sharing boo.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I'm hoping since her boyfriend is in space we can get a galatic core part 2 feat without the dying part in the book. that would be amazing.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss;3854344}

I see your point but even acted well foxmen storm has never been that important of a character. these movies dont write themselves, and even if we got the presentation angela brought would that make the lightning striking a toad any better? as much as people give halle grief she at that time was at the top of the acting game and after storm not having an important role in x2 she lobbied for storm to have a bigger role in x3. would Angela have done the same? and even with halles effort storm was still an under utilized character in the entirety of the franchise.

I'm not arguing that Storm would have been a better written character had Basset been the character. I'm arguing she would've delivered her lines a hell of a lot better than Berry ever could. It's been a long time since I've seen the films, but I'l give two brief examples.

In X1 there's a scene near the end where Wolverine is leaving the mansion and giving Storm shit about becoming an X-Man. She then tells him something along the lines of 'At least I've chosen a side." The line itself is said so passively without a hint of confidence or force behind it. I can't imagine Basset would've delivered such a weak line reading. In X3, after learning of the cure, Storm gets irate at the idea of any mutant wanting to take the cure and launches into a tirade. The tone is somewhat appropriate but again, Berry gives a reading that just comes off as petulant and angry. She can't sell the ferocity or the sternness that the lines need. She doesn't come off as an authority figure or leader that the script, to be fair, tried to make her. Again, I think a superior actress like Basset would have been better able to capture the nuances needed to make some of the aforementioned scenes work, even though Storm still was being written like crap.

I've got no hate for Berry though. I've always said that even though she was a TERRIBLE Storm, I at least appreciated that she fought hard for the character in X2 and X3. I personally don't know if Basset herself would have even done so, but I feel 100% confident that she could have turned in a far better performance than Berry ever could. She's just a far better actress. But that's neither here nor there. What's done is done.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Would Angela have been able to do that, or would Singer and the others directed her performance in another direction? If you look at his filmography, there are basically no badass capable women in any of his films.

Anyways, I made a sketch of a Storm costume. Inspired by her current Red look, but also thinking of many of her past looks.

Attachment 69548

Awesome! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I'm not arguing that Storm would have been a better written character had Basset been the character. I'm arguing she would've delivered her lines a hell of a lot better than Berry ever could. It's been a long time since I've seen the films, but I'l give two brief examples.

In X1 there's a scene near the end where Wolverine is leaving the mansion and giving Storm shit about becoming an X-Man. She then tells him something along the lines of 'At least I've chosen a side." The line itself is said so passively without a hint of confidence or force behind it. I can't imagine Basset would've delivered such a weak line reading. In X3, after learning of the cure, Storm gets irate at the idea of any mutant wanting to take the cure and launches into a tirade. The tone is somewhat appropriate but again, Berry gives a reading that just comes off as petulant and angry. She can't sell the ferocity or the sternness that the lines need. She doesn't come off as an authority figure or leader that the script, to be fair, tried to make her. Again, I think a superior actress like Basset would have been better able to capture the nuances needed to make some of the aforementioned scenes work, even though Storm still was being written like crap.

I've got no hate for Berry though. I've always said that even though she was a TERRIBLE Storm, I at least appreciated that she fought hard for the character in X2 and X3. I personally don't know if Basset herself would have even done so, but I feel 100% confident that she could have turned in a far better performance than Berry ever could. She's just a far better actress. But that's neither here nor there. What's done is done.
    I understand your point but again even with the nuances that you mentioned i dont think anyone would have left any of the films being impressed with storm as the character as her involvement never went beyond the point of support.

and again who is to say have halle not been there angela would have fought as halle did to have storm have a larger presence in the films? I don't think fox was ever going to give us a storm that truly resonated as she did in the comics because of her being a woman of color. so personally seeing now dismarvel are getting the chance to do her right I'm personally happy things occurred as they did.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-19-2018 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm hoping since her boyfriend is in space we can get a galatic core part 2 feat without the dying part in the book. that would be amazing.
    Now you KNOW all the Haters would hate that. But I agree. If we can get some form of Cosmic power display in space LOL imagine ALL THE HATER AND THEIR TEARS MMMMM YUMMY. Let me lick your hateful tears you mad Storm pulled a Silver Surfer??? Yes yes mmm yummy salty tears.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Now you KNOW all the Haters would hate that. But I agree. If we can get some form of Cosmic power display in space LOL imagine ALL THE HATER AND THEIR TEARS MMMMM YUMMY. Let me lick your hateful tears you mad Storm pulled a Silver Surfer??? Yes yes mmm yummy salty tears.
    I havent had any sips from the salty tears since issue 172. I need more and i hope coates delivers soon!! and you are so funny I'm rolling lolol.

what books will storm be in this week? it seems like a big week for her:

black panther issue 3
    avengers wakanda forever issue 1
    mystery in madripoor issue 4

did I miss anything?

Storm may make an appearance in a future BP cartoon:

https://www.cbr.com/sdcc-2018-marvel-animation-panel/

Another fan wanted to know if Black Panther could meet Storm. “Not yet!” Lane answered with a laugh.

Mighty Member

So Eve Ewing a Black Female writer is writing Ironheart Riri Williams solo book. Storm fans.. we have to buy this book. For whatever reason the X office is so slow to let Men and Women of color write for them. If this book is a success maybe we finally have a Black woman write Storm's solo book. Coates is ok but a Black woman needs to write her solo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I havent had any sips from the salty tears since issue 172. I need more and i hope coates delivers soon!! and you are so funny I'm rolling lolol.

what books will storm be in this week? it seems like a big week for her:

black panther issue 3
    avengers wakanda forever issue 1
    mystery in madripoor issue 4

did I miss anything?
    I noticed Gold was not on the list. Was that intentional? I hope so, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    So Eve Ewing a Black Female writer is writing Ironheart Riri Williams solo book. Storm fans.. we have to buy this book. For whatever reason the X office is so slow to let Men and Women of color write for them. If this book is a success maybe we finally have a Black woman write Storm's solo book. Coates is ok but a Black woman needs to write her solo.
    At this point, I don't care about the race or gender of the person who writes Storm's book. I just want the best person for the job who understands her powerset and power level, her history and the significance of her ancestral background, and who can deliver high action stories that pits Storm against high-end powered bad guys and have her kicking butt and taking names. For all we know Eve Ewing may prove to be a black female version of Eric Jerome Dickey if she writes Storm's solo title. Let Coates or Alan Davis write the book; or better yet, let Coates be the writer, Coates and Davis be the co-plotters, and Davis be the artist.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-20-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No, I don't. Not if said Black Female Writer isn't any good. (just because she's Black and Female does not necessarily mean she is capable of writing well or even writing stories that I want to read...given Marvel's penchant for editorial interference) plus, Riri Williams is not a character I am interested in at all. My days for blindly buying and supporting books "just because" are long, long past.

Mighty Member

Eve Ewing is a great writer. She is a poet and a scholar. And it does matter who writes the books.Folks complain about storms characterization all the time. But hey.. do you ..But before you equate my love of her just to her being black. Do a little research. She is a good writer who writes across genre.

https://eveewing.com/

BANNED

Eve Ewing is a great writer. She is a poet and a scholar. And it does matter who writes the books.Folks complain about storms characterization all the time. But hey.. do you ..But before you equate my love of her just to her being black. Do a little research. She is a good writer who writes across genre.

https://eveewing.com/
    Not saying she isn't a great writer. It's just Storm is a very complex character with a complex powerset. A writer would have to be aware of all of these aspects of the character, and be able to separate the PIS crap that is kind of scattered through her history (primarily in the Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle and the last couple of years in the X-books) from the real deal stuff. If she has an encyclopedic knowledge about Storm's powers and history, then she'd do a good job in all likelihood; however, if she doesn't have all of this in her knowledge base, she'd just mess it up and set Storm's character back. Coates knows his Storm stuff as does Alan Davis. I want to get people on the book whom I know will do a good job. No more taking chances.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-20-2018 at 10:06 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

> Eve Ewing is a great writer
    > no comic book creds

Yeah. I'll wait and see. I'm hella paranoid since Tamaki ruined She-Hulk.