Page 177 of 333 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 4988

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I hate the "emotional spectrum" thing. I think it's stupid, inconsistent as to what an emotion is, and not needed.
    I absolutely 100% agree

I hate the "emotional spectrum" thing. I think it's stupid, inconsistent as to what an emotion is, and not needed.
    I’m fine with the ones Johns established even if I think they should generally be reduced in scope in comparison to the GLC.

I got no use for Ultraviolet and now apparently a Gold Lantern from the Legion book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’m fine with the ones Johns established even if I think they should generally be reduced in scope in comparison to the GLC.

I got no use for Ultraviolet and now apparently a Gold Lantern from the Legion book.
    Yeah, I think it was good for the characters it introduced and in how it drove the storylines of the franchise at the time (and GL:TAS) but it doesn't need to be the be all, end all of the franchise. Just a part of it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I've never liked Kyle's mask, nor his 90's / current costume (too much white IMO).
    Actually, I prefer him as White Lantern.
    The mask is kinda bulky yeah, but I don't have a problem with the white... oh is it because he's supposed to be Green and not B/W Lantern?

BANNED

Gonna' have to fully agree with this one, too. It's an incredibly dumb concept to me, from multiple angles, like just being dumb, watering down Green Lantern, being oversaturated, totally jumping the shark (Ultraviolet Lantern? Seriously!?), and taking over the franchise for years and in a fashion that still affects it today. I also didn't like those Power Battery spirit animals. I didn't care for anything about the whole trip. I guess Bleez is a cool design...there were some neat looking Yellow Lanterns...I'm trying to think of some silver linings here...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think it was good for the characters it introduced and in how it drove the storylines of the franchise at the time (and GL:TAS) but it doesn't need to be the be all, end all of the franchise. Just a part of it.
    Yeah, the ones Johns created for his run I’m fine with mainly for characters like Sinestro, Larfleeze, Saint Walker, and Atrocitus but I don’t want stumped writers just making a new colored corps when they they need a new space threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    Gonna' have to fully agree with this one, too. It's an incredibly dumb concept to me, from multiple angles, like just being dumb, watering down Green Lantern, being oversaturated, totally jumping the shark (Ultraviolet Lantern? Seriously!?), and taking over the franchise for years and in a fashion that still affects it today. I also didn't like those Power Battery spirit animals. I didn't care for anything about the whole trip. I guess Bleez is a cool design...there were some neat looking Yellow Lanterns...I'm trying to think of some silver linings here...
    Conceptually I think it makes perfect sense for Sinestro to form his own evil Corps, and to turn the Star Sapphire's into the Zamarons' take on the GLC. At the end of the day the other Corps. helped fill out the universe and provide different perspectives on the franchise.

I actually kinda gotta defend the emotional spectrum. At least in concept. It's true that Johns pushed that down our throats so much for so long that I'd be surprised if anyone was still a big fan, and a lot of those stories (especially after Johns) were weak af anyway, and the whole concept took over the franchise to everyone's detriment, but the idea itself was fine.

I mean, a bunch of immortal aliens giving magic wishing rings to their personal army of space cops? Let's not pretend that we're not already accepting the most ridiculous and nonsensical ideas just to get in the door.

I could nitpick the hell out of stuff, from the emotions that Johns ascribed, to the stupid ass idea that the emotional entities gained sentience because of earth, the fool notion that this was all tied, somehow, into a limited range of light that we can see, and far more. But that green energy had to come from somewhere, and tying it into the core theme of "willpower" makes as much sense as anything else while also connecting and tying in some random concepts and elements that resulted in the franchise feeling much more interconnected and tightly woven.

Sure, it doesn't make any damn sense at all, but.....what does?

And as for Snyder's ultraviolet stuff.....in a weird, stupid comic book sort of way it makes sense. If the emotional spectrum we know is connected to the light spectrum we can see, then it makes sense that the emotional spectrum would continue on into wavelengths we can't see, just like light does. Snyder might not have handled the concept terribly well (subjective tastes and all) but the idea was just a natural extension of Johns' work.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-28-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I thought the designs for the entities were cool, but that's just me .

Agree 100% The emotional spectrum was just a creative sinkhole for the franchise. Taking 'the most powerful weapon in the universe' and giving it to EVERYONE was tedious. All those new characters could have had their own things but... all rings all the time was ughhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Conceptually I think it makes perfect sense for Sinestro to form his own evil Corps, and to turn the Star Sapphire's into the Zamarons' take on the GLC. At the end of the day the other Corps. helped fill out the universe and provide different perspectives on the franchise.

See I disagree there too. Sinestro was all about order and proving that he was the bestest of the best GL's.... and giving unlimited power to every monster in the universe was the OPPOSITE of what woul dhave made sense for him. Add in that Sinestro should be the scariest thing the GL's know... but making it fear based forced them to come up with some really creepy things that make sinestro seem 'lame'.

Zamarons were their own thing... but now just another ring corp... EVERYONE was a ring corp.... it made the universe SMALLER than it did when people like Evil Star and his blaster were legitimate threats.

I dislike the emotional spectrum, too. And I think all the other (non-Speed) forces were basically copying that theme. Mind you, I don't like the speed force either, though I accept that it's not going anywhere.

Astonishing Member

All sad backstories should be met with a complete and total "nobody cares". You have to stop giving people sympathy so the writers stop using it as a crutch to make you care about characters they're too incompetent to properly develop. I miss the days when people went through stuff and had to learn how to deal with it but the Bat writers have popularized whining about your problems and walking around with a chip on your shoulder.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Double. Please delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The mask is kinda bulky yeah, but I don't have a problem with the white... oh is it because he's supposed to be Green and not B/W Lantern?
    Yeah, it's mostly the colour thing. I really like the overall design.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I've never liked Kyle's mask, nor his 90's / current costume (too much white IMO).
    Actually, I prefer him as White Lantern.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I do not really like the idea of characters just hosting some entity.
    The Spectre is way better if it actually is Jim, instead of him just being the host of its spirit.
    I agree with that. Both in principle and i this specific case.
    To continue I think just using hosts is a waste of a character. I’d actually prefer using them as legacies and that’s saying a lot.
    Double yes. Triple, if we can throw Dr. Fate on that bonfire.
    Triple extra yes. "Will" is not an emotion. Neither is hope.