Page 334 of 334 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334
Results 4,996 to 5,002 of 5002
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    WBD could save DC Comics (and resuscitate the industry in the process) by making major investments in programs that would truly revive DC Comics, but they refuse. These include, but are not limited to, publishing inexpensive and all-ages comics and putting them in as many retail spaces as they can manage: big box stores, convenience stores, drug stores, newsstands, etc. They should especially be in checkout lanes where kids can see them and ask their parents for them instead of candy and soft drinks.

This would build a new comics readership in time and, in turn, support the main line and the retailers who are suffering from abysmal sales and a company more interested (like Marvel) to publish headline-grabbing "events" for sales bumps instead of compelling stories.
    Here is the HUGE elephant in the room issue with this....

DC would have to ENSURE that those books in question are actually on the shelves and newsstands in question. And you would have to make those books returnable.

I pay attention to what is on the shelves every time I go to ANY store. Especially comics related.
    One of the MAJOR issues I have seen with DC more than Marvel is what is being put on the shelves and what is NOT.
    I have seen a Marvel all ages magazine on shelves. I did NOT see one of those DC reprint books from years ago. Aside from Blue Beetle Graduation Day-I have NOT see any of the DC OGNS or trades in non-comic stores and that includes used book stores.
    Not an issue with most of Marvel books and trades especially since Black Panther and Miles Morales in Spiderverse came out.

If you REALLY want to get kids-you don't go after the store. You go after the SCHOOL.
    Because there are some books we can not order unless they are through approved book vendors. It can NOT just be Batman and Superman. That banner of "Batman sells" does not mean BLEEP in the schools.
    You gotta use Gotham Academy, Supersons, Static, Young Justice (Not Bendis version), Duke Thomas (Wayne Family Adventures), Revive Green Lantern Adventures and Justice League Unlimited.

Super Sons, Gotham Academy, Blue Beetle & Static. You hand them over to a Kami Garcia, Rex Ogle, Judd Winick, Gene Luen Yang or Jason Reynolds. A few others. These are the folks who will get you guaranteed sales. Because folks TRUST those writers and will order their books without having to be convinced.

Jason Reynolds did Miles Morales's first novel-it was a best seller in less than a week of it coming out.

You are going to have to start getting those folks and not so much have them do the comics. Let them stick to OGNS.

DC has to get out of its comfort zone of whoring Batman and his family.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Here we go:

DC has been on life support since Dan DiDio and Bob Harras arrived in the early 2000s and began wounding the DCU but trying to make it like Marvel. Though this also happened after COIE, the heart of the DCU was preserved by people who knew and respected the lore.

DiDo and Diane Nelson mortally-wounded DC Comics with The New 52. Rebirth was life support that could have led to a full recovery had DiDio and Lee not returned. DiDio used Bendis and Snyder to undo Rebirth and killed DC Comics.

The few good spots here and then since (Waid's World's Finest, Venditti's Superman '78, Aaron's Flash and Green Lantern) are exceptions to the rule, akin to post-mortem muscle spasms.

WBD could save DC Comics (and resuscitate the industry in the process) by making major investments in programs that would truly revive DC Comics, but they refuse. These include, but are not limited to, publishing inexpensive and all-ages comics and putting them in as many retail spaces as they can manage: big box stores, convenience stores, drug stores, newsstands, etc. They should especially be in checkout lanes where kids can see them and ask their parents for them instead of candy and soft drinks.

This would build a new comics readership in time and, in turn, support the main line and the retailers who are suffering from abysmal sales and a company more interested (like Marvel) to publish headline-grabbing "events" for sales bumps instead of compelling stories.

My last unpopular opinion:

For whatever reason(s), DC's owners and even some of its own execs have always had a significant problem in understanding and respecting the nature of Superman. He IS the DC Universe, not Batman, despite the latter's popularity. DC's fall began in the early 2000s with people coming aboard who wanted to change Superman constantly (Loeb and Waid to a degree, but especially DiDio) and the DCU and the company has faltered ever since.
    I think... This opinion is why the Dc universe does so badly. Funnily enough there's a problem of people having ideas that are:
    "Bookends"

Please don't take this as an attack though... on one end we have people who think:

"Superman IS the DC universe" Everything that was is GOOD. Everything different is trying to "Do it like marvel".
    (even making a comment like that is wild, when we acknowledge that Batgod is more popular on the other end we have:
    "Everything that came before is Stale" and "Tear it all down (if my favorite can't shine no one can)"

Dc tried to reiterate this with Dr. Manhattan vs Superman. . . and whoever's in the drivers seat doing that... its really a sad state of affairs.

DC does need to grow beyond every book being "Justice...Something" and Superman being the final solution to most (non social) problems.

Western comics as a WHOLE need an overhaul though in distribution and target markets. Keep the aging market of 40 year olds please and reading but ALSO start looking towards things
    that can challenge fully your common "Shonen or Seinen" and I think a lot of that is simply Moving the Microscope of the dc world AWAY from "Superman is the Dc Universe".

Comic books sell the heroes journey, and now they've gone SOOOO far away, to the point where villonous superman is more active in the minds of the populace that anything main DC Superman is doing.

Lord Knows Homelander and Omniman, and if you squint injustice are MORE to young people that Clark. Because traditionalist are too far from meme culture and iconclasts who dont't like superman (or truth, justice, and the American way anyway)
    can't build anything without tearing everything else down (so they don't have the competition).

Its fixable, won't get fixed cause pleasing everyone is hard, and many people DON'T want it fixed if they can't have their way.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 04-27-2024 at 07:08 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Marvel's problem is they try to make every story "evergreen"... but that's not how serialized stories work. DC's is that they just seem to need to tie everything to one of the big names. But has forgotten WHY those characters are big names.

Sometimes I think most DC fans are similar to "glory hunters" in sports fandom. A "glory hunter" is a term used to describe a sports fan who supports a successful or winning team primarily for the sake of being associated with that team's success, rather than for genuine loyalty or passion for the team itself. In football, its teams like Manchester City, Real Madrid that has a lot of fans because they are mostly always winning.

Back to DC again, It's characters that arguably borderline Mary Sue/Gary Stu that got popular like Batman, Harley Quinn, and modern Constantine. They are usually depicted as always winning usually at the detriment of other characters who only become punching bags or pawns for them to get all the spotlight for themselves. Batman got a whole Dark Nights: Metal when his alternate universe is depicted as better than the original heroes in handling their power plus with many other examples. Harley Quinn is too chaotic that she could defeat everyone plus her bad deeds is rarely got a commenpeunce. Constantine is magic Batman. At least Batman got heavy resources and vast training to back his prep time, But Constantine is the best at everything despite not having intensive training or resources. His traits is actively destroying other characters by either making everyone around him got killed because he is such a tragic sad boy or dumbed down as pawn for Constantine genius mind.
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 04-27-2024 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Sometimes I think most DC fans are similar to "glory hunters" in sports fandom. A "glory hunter" is a term used to describe a sports fan who supports a successful or winning team primarily for the sake of being associated with that team's success, rather than for genuine loyalty or passion for the team itself. In football, its teams like Manchester City, Real Madrid that has a lot of fans because they are mostly always winning.

Back to DC again, It's characters that arguably borderline Mary Sue/Gary Stu that got popular like Batman, Harley Quinn, and modern Constantine. They are usually depicted as always winning usually at the detriment of other characters who only become punching bags or pawns for them to get all the spotlight for themselves. Batman got a whole Dark Nights: Metal when his alternate universe is depicted as better than the original heroes in handling their power plus with many other examples. Harley Quinn is too chaotic that she could defeat everyone plus her bad deeds is rarely got a commenpeunce. Constantine is magic Batman. At least Batman got heavy resources and vast training to back him prep time, But Constantine is the best at everything despite not having intense training or resources. His traits is actively destroying other characters by either making everyone around him got killed because he is such a tragic sad boy or dumbed down as pawn for Constantine genius mind.
    I suspect you'll like the current Batman comics. He's far from perfect in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I suspect you'll like the current Batman comics. He's far from perfect in them.
    I like Ram V run at Detective Comic. I remember that there are discussions on how Batman is jobbing there and some fans got mad about it. There is this universal thinking that Batman could always win against everything. I mean "prep time" itself is a popular meme and people legitimately believe that. Usually, it's come with Batman having a full prep time while the opponents just passively fall to every Batman's moves.

I am just over multiverse and empty events.

Also:

I will laugh at that clip in my sleep, Mai Zen!