Page 57 of 333 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If trunks are unnecessary, doesn't that suggest that not having trunks is also unnecessary? I never understood why people got so upset with trunks in the first place--and the change didn't seem needed. Maybe that's what happened. DC just came to its senses and realized it was trying to impose a change that wasn't necessary. So just go back to the original concept.
    Yet people were practically willing to lynch DC for getting rid of the trunks. I never understood the arguments in favor of the trunks when the red belt that Superman wore served the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I miss the reborn suit as well. They should have kept it longer. Since, the animated superman still has it. I am hopeful that it will return. The current one is stupid. If your going for classic look, Then why modernize it. The cuffs are stupid.
    I don't get why people keep adding cuffs to Superman. I think Jim Lee just seems really into them.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't get why people keep adding cuffs to Superman. I think Jim Lee just seems really into them.
    I might have liked Lee's Superman costume better had he not wanted the JL to look like they were in uniform. A Kryptonian armor, Atlantean regalia, and Oan uniform all sharing design sensibilities seems a bit of a stretch.

Mr. Terrific is smarter than Batman and is interchangeably the smartest man along side Luthor.

The new forces in the Flash are awesome and while people crap on them by making the lazy comparison to the Emotional Spectrum, like the Emotional Spectrum, it was the natural logical step in expanding the speedforce as a concept without adding umpteen more speedsters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Mr. Terrific is smarter than Batman and is interchangeably the smartest man along side Luthor.
    Yes. It surprises me he's not bigger than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yes. It surprises me he's not bigger than he is.
    Indeed, he's a terrific character.

Awful joke aside i really agree, more of him i say, moaaaaaaaaaar.

Cuffs and the weird v neck lines.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Mr. Terrific is smarter than Batman and is interchangeably the smartest man alongside Luthor.

The new forces in the Flash are awesome and while people crap on them by making the lazy comparison to the Emotional Spectrum, like the Emotional Spectrum, it was the natural logical step in expanding the speed force as a concept without adding umpteen more speedsters.
    I agree I think Batman is the most cunning and strategic superhero. But I feel inventor types like Mr. Terrific should top him in sheer brainpower. Different types of intelligence and all that. Batman doesn't even make most of his own gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Indeed, he's a terrific character.

Awful joke aside i really agree, more of him i say, moaaaaaaaaaar.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I don't get it either, it's really not necessary and he doesn't need them.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I really loathe the idea of Bruce being some kind of hyper genius. He's the world's greatest detective, he doesn't have to be the world's greatest scientist too. It's just....dumb.

Terrific, Palmer, Magnus, hell half the super villains from the Silver Age, all those guys should have a higher raw IQ than Batman (as well as many characters not mentioned here). Bruce can put the clues together better than anyone but he shouldn't be inventing advanced technologies.

The Batgod is no god of mine.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I really loathe the idea of Bruce being some kind of hyper genius. He's the world's greatest detective, he doesn't have to be the world's greatest scientist too. It's just....dumb.
    Agree. Also, he should be an absolutely fantastic fighter...but nowhere near the top 20 in the world. Same class as Canary, skill-wise (though much stronger, of course). I do think Bruce needs strong basic science skills (his studying chemistry is golden age old), but more in terms of being able to do the things that crime lab techs do, given the same tools, rather in doing really innovative work. Enough to be able to coutner-act fear-toxin and the like, but ordinary labs should be able to do that, too. No super-genius Tim or Barbara, either, though both are, like Bruce, very intelligent people. Actually, so are Jason and Dick. Most heroes really do have to be pretty intelligent.

I'm tired of the legacy naming trend. I like generational characters and new ones coming in, but I don't think they all need to use the same names (Superboy, Batgirl, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl, etc.). I've given up on it for Robin, but still sometimes hold out hope that new generations will have new names (I also think it would lead to less fractured fanbase on which the best X or the "real" X). Was optimistic about actual new non-family characters in Beacon (Kathy Branden) or even Maya (who is a Ducard, but he's sort of like Cluemaster - not that important). Not that I don't like the third and fourth "generation" speedsters, supers, etc. - it just get repetitive that it's so much the same set every generation. I'd just like more variety. Both Maya and Kathy seem to have been dropped, though.

Detective Chimp and Ralph Dibny should both rank near Batman in the detective-skill-athon. He may be the world's greatest detective, but they're still both excellent, and should be treated as such.

Ralph Dibny and Terrence Thirteen are both much better as intelligent, capable characters than jokes.

Superboy (Kon-El) was better when he had neither Kryptonian nor Luthor DNA.

The in-universe mocking of superhero costuming conventions: trunks (without or without leg covering) capes, etc. is really annoying. It was a little funny the first time. The first time was long, long ago now.

I prefer "Changeling" to "Beast Boy" as a code name, and prefer his old design without prominent canines or pointed ears. He just looked like a green person.

I prefer Talia as a villain - or at least self-serving and willing to hurt others to that end. It was how I was first exposed to her, and of course that makes an impact. Not as bad as Morrison's run, but not good. She was "gray" in the old days - she helped sometimes (saved Bruce and kid prince, I think), but also participated in framing Bruce for murder, was seemingly a party to Dick's kidnapping, amnesia-drugged someone, and seemed perfectly fine with Bruce being forcibly married to her. Her turn around in the end really didn't work for me (though admittedly not as bad as amnesiac-flight-attendant). I really enjoyed the hostility with her and Dick, even back in that era.

I like Barbara 5+ years older than Dick. Seven is fine. Apparently not a popular option among DickBabs shippers (and I am one). But since they don't date until he's grown, it's not an issue.

I deeply dislike Batgirl: Year One, and, in fact, dislike the entire post-COIE retconning of Barbara into one of Bruce's proteges. Dislike him training her, etc.

I prefer Clark never be Superboy. Some like him with Legion. But since I've never been able to get into Superboy (I did try reading some), I never got into them. It is thematically good to me that Superman be the world's first Superhero. It's much braver and riskier and such if he doesn't know, even subconsciously, that he will succeed and be beloved before he does it. Also, I disliked post-COIE setting Wonder Woman up as a rookie compared to Batman and Superman. Making both Wonder Woman and Batman rookies to Superman's experienced hero, rather than having them all on the same level, is not my preferred set up.

I don't hate pre-COIE Terry Long. I mean, I don't love the guy, but don't hate him. And I do think he may have gotten character-assassinated to further the change in status quo for Donna. Can't be sure, since I haven't read anything with him between 1990 and his death, and it may have gradually grown, but he was nothing like that before.

I don't think rebooting Tana Moon as a teenager is the best resolution to the creepiness of her relationship with Superboy. It removes the most interesting use of the character to me (the specific contrast between her and Knockout and how they treat Kon is my favorite element, and something I think only works with both of them as grown women). That transitions to: I thought Tana started out well, but fizzled as a character, whereas Toxy started out as a stock character improved (and then, of course, both disappeared only for Roxy's career to end up ruined by her father's actions and Tana brought back only to be murdered in a storyline that is even poorer after the recons on Kon's history).

Really trivial controversial opinion: I kinda like Dinah actually having dark hair and a blonde wig. Works better for disguising. Found out most don't care for it. But I don't think anyone cares that I like it.

I really don't like how Zatanna's main costume is now purely the Justice League Dark look. That costume fits the eerie, horror, and serious vibe of that series but it takes all the razzle dazzle and flamboyance that I feel is part of the character. It was the same problem with her New 52 look.

I was also really disappointed that Tynion had her wearing it for her show in the beginning of the series. Like, if she's going to wear her traditional look for anything, it would be a show.

It makes me wonder if in the next few years they're going to try and take away Black Canary's fishnets again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I agree I think Batman is the most cunning and strategic superhero. But I feel inventor types like Mr. Terrific should top him in sheer brainpower. Different types of intelligence and all that. Batman doesn't even make most of his own gadgets.
    He used to, though.

It makes me wonder if in the next few years they're going to try and take away Black Canary's fishnets again.
    Reminds me of another one - I actually really like her opaque fishnetty stocking look more than the real fishnets that came later. And prefer her butt covered. I don't mind a leotard look at all. Just one with some seat coverage (and that she's not falling out of up top).

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Also, I disliked post-COIE setting Wonder Woman up as a rookie compared to Batman and Superman. Making both Wonder Woman and Batman rookies to Superman's experienced hero, rather than having them all on the same level, is not my preferred set up.
    The gap in experience was very minor to non-existent post-COIE honestly. Aside from some growing pains in understanding the rest of the world, she wasn’t treated as lesser than Superman or Batman.

I don't hate pre-COIE Terry Long. I mean, I don't love the guy, but don't hate him. And I do think he may have gotten character-assassinated to further the change in status quo for Donna. Can't be sure, since I haven't read anything with him between 1990 and his death, and it may have gradually grown, but he was nothing like that before.
    Terry was always problematic from the fact that he was Donna’s college professor when they started dating to him hitting on Kory right in front of Donna. I don’t think he was character assassinated so much as DC just realized all the issues with him.

I don't think rebooting Tana Moon as a teenager is the best resolution to the creepiness of her relationship with Superboy. It removes the most interesting use of the character to me (the specific contrast between her and Knockout and how they treat Kon is my favorite element, and something I think only works with both of them as grown women).
    I don’t think you need to have them both be adults to see the difference between how they treat Kon. One genuinely cares for him the other was trying to make him a villain.

Actually, I’ll add that portraying Knockout as a femme fatale was pointless given she’s a New God strong enough to fight a Kryptonian and that’s more interesting than another seductress.