Page 1 of 332 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Unpopular DC Opinions

Random Thoughts

I think the JSA (and Infinity, Inc and original Seven Soldiers) work best on their own separate Earth. For me, I liked having the JSA and JLA with their own earths to protect.

Jonah Hex is a fantastic character. I want him to have another series.

I think Marv Wolfman's NIGHT FORCE series is a good concept. Let him write another limited series for NF that is 12 issues and ties closer into the main DC universe.

I prefer Dark Knight Detective Batman to all seeing, psychotic Batman.

What happened to Garth's (Tempest's ) curly hair??

Wally West raised the bar on what it means to be the Flash after Barry died - but I didn't care for the fast aging of he and Linda's twins.

PRIMAL FORCE was a solid comic series. I wish it has lasted.

Mike Grell's THE WARLORD was excellent. But it should NOT have been put into the regular D.C. line. And the book was best when Mike wrote and drew it. It was never as strong when he was only partially involved.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Random Thoughts

I think the JSA (and Infinity, Inc and original Seven Soldiers) work best on their own separate Earth. For me, I liked having the JSA and JLA with their own earths to protect.

Jonah Hex is a fantastic character. I want him to have another series.

I think Marv Wolfman's NIGHT FORCE series is a good concept. Let him write another limited series for NF that is 12 issues and ties closer into the main DC universe.

I prefer Dark Knight Detective Batman to all seeing, psychotic Batman.

What happened to Garth's (Tempest's ) curly hair??

Wally West raised the bar on what it means to be the Flash after Barry died - but I didn't care for the fast aging of he and Linda's twins.

PRIMAL FORCE was a solid comic series. I wish it has lasted.

Mike Grell's THE WARLORD was excellent. But it should NOT have been put into the regular D.C. line. And the book was best when Mike wrote and drew it. It was never as strong when he was only partially involved.
    Disagree with you on JSA. That said, I'd settle to see them all on ANY Earth at the moment....
    Hell yes to bringing back Jonah Hex! Just make sure Jimmy is on board though.
    Wasn't a fan of Night Force, but to each his own and I love Marv Wolfman. He's a lovely bloke.
    Big yes on the Dark Knight Detective! Although Morrison got away with it on his JLA run, I'm not a fan of BatGod.
    Just happy to see Garth again in the DCU. The curls are optional!
    Wally is MY Flash. I loved seeing him hook up with Linda and was happy for the marriage too. The kids was when Johns' jumped the shark.
    Primal Force has some great characters, and I wouldn't mind seeing it return. (Loves me some Jack O'Lantern and Klaw)
    I'm a huge fan of Mike Grell. His Green Arrow is the bees knees for me, but for some reason I never got hooked on Warlord.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Random Thoughts

I'd also prefer to have Shazam, WIldstorm and the Charleton Comic characters on seperate Earth's.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Lightbulb Your DC-Only controversial opinions (part II)...

Do you think Batman Forever is better than The Dark Knight? For you, Grant Morrison is a mediocre writer? Martian Manhunter is the best character DC have?
    Post your controversial opinions about everything DC related... characters, authors, past and present run, movies and TV series...

None of DC's fictional American cities have any distinct identity. They're better off just using real cities.

Batman is a boring character. The main star of the Batman line is the city of Gotham.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of DC's fictional American cities have any distinct identity. They're better off just using real cities.
    If the fictional city settings aren't detrimental to the story, why would they be better off in real cities? What would it change?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If the fictional city settings aren't detrimental to the story, why would they be better off in real cities? What would it change?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It would remove a pointless aspect of the story and writers could actually show they can do research when it comes to writing about real life cities.

I would also say them not being distinct in identity is a detriment to the story.

Boisterously Confused

On the other hand, Marvel's Hell's Kitchen has an identity, but is now a fictional city, since New York's crime rate is lower than Memphis'.

Retired

Two of my favourite Batman stories are "The Jungle-Cat Queen" and "Daughter of the Demon." Remarkably similar in plot, even though separated by two decades and in different art styles. But the first story doesn't take place in Gotham City at all, rather on a mysterious island, and the second only takes place for a short bit in the Batcave at the beginning (which is debatably in Gotham City) before trotting the globe to exotic locations in India.

Those kinds of stories are just as much Batman to me as the stories set in Gotham. Some of the best early stories were not in Gotham either--the encounter with the Monk in 'TEC 31 and 32, where the Dark Knight trots the globe from Manhattan to Paris to Hungary; and the encounter with the Duc D’Orterre in ‘TEC 34, that unfolds in Paris.

I dunno, I think Gotham and Metropolis have grown to have pretty distinct identities into and of themselves, and there've been writers who've been able to make Central, Star, Opal, and Keystone their own unique identities as well.

Of course, they take inspiration from real life cities, but I think that's understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Batman is a boring character. The main star of the Batman line is the city of Gotham.
    I think if you're doing it right a hero's city should feel like as much of a character or star as the actual hero.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Grant Morrison IS just a mediocre writer. And Martian Manhunter may not be DC's best character but he certainly doesn't get enough credit.

Some of these are repeats of stuff I said on the other thread but I feel like going over them again.

Superman should have at least some powers from day one on Earth. It's just weird to think of him as an ordinary kid.

Cyborg should be a Teen Titan first before joining the JL.

The Nolan movies are overrated and everyone took the wrong lesson away from them.

There are too many Green Lanterns.

Damien is a bad fit for Robin. Batman shouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder hoping his sidekick doesn't kill someone.

DC should do a book about the multiverse where each story tells stories from a different Earth.

Supergirl and Superman should be on the Arrowverse Earth.

The Injustice universe is the most stable one DC has. And the "good" Injustice Earth is probably better than the mainstream Earth.
    Last edited by superduperman; 08-05-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Can we please do something about this double post problem? It keeps happening.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Silver Age revanchism may have helped Geoff Johns resurrect and reinvigorate the Green Lantern franchise, but it's behind the fall of the Superman books, and in general the whole thing where creators hold up the Silver Age as some kind of shining era for DC has caused more harm than good; they convinced themselves that old iconography and an old status quo was more valuable than good writing.

Superman was still going strong through the 90's and early 00's, but once they started convincing themselves that the problem was the Post-Crisis continuity, they began slowly wrecking the franchise bit by bit. Some of it was totally understandable; a Kryptonian Supergirl is an easier sell. But each time they tried to revamp Superman and neglected the actual momentum of the previous stories, they damaged the brand. They then somehow convinced themselves that it wasn't their mistake for mucking around with the storylines, but instead that the character still wants Silver Age enough. So they went full bore back to the Silver Age, and even with Geoff Johns working his magic, it wasn't a long term solution. So they went further, and used a cosmic retcon to break up the marriage... And found that, nope, that didn't help either, and at the same time Grant Morrison was proving that his writing skills were good enough to rework even old Golden Age concepts into a successful story, the Superman office was sending writers running away from DC because they wouldn't get on board.

And look at Flash; arguably the book was never stronger than when Geoff Johns was writing Wally West using Mark Waid's toys. Bringing Barry back did nothing for the brand but end up making it vulnerable to marketing declaring Barry the only viable Flash, causing the mess that fractured the fandom. And it's not like Aquaman really took off from Silver Age tropes; its standing was resurrected because, again, Johns as a writer is good, not because "Steve Rogers in a swimsuit" is an iconic look.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP