Page 68 of 332 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I actually liked the Justice League movie. And have no desire to see the Snyder cut.
    I liked the movie too. I am not interested in the Snyder Cut . Imo that's the best one we got.

But if Snyder had made that two parter Justice League, i might be interested. Two films gives more space to tell a full story. JL was bogged down by trying to introduce all the characters in the beginning imo. After the first fight between the League and the villain it picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This is the first time I heard that Gotham was in New York. I've always heard that it was in Delaware or Conneticut. Metropolis is usually associated with New York and Bludhaven with New Jersey.
    you have it backwards, Gotham is in Jersey and Bludhaven is in New York (or is based on New York it may actually be in Jersey too). I always heard Metropolis was originally based on a 1950's/60's era "the city of tomorrow" style New York but more recently is usually located around the DMV area; I usually just say Metropolis is in Maryland since it's supposed to be close to Gotham, which is in Jersey right next door.

edit:

iunno if this map is even still canon but according to this, Gotham is in southern New Jersey, and Metropolis is also in Jersey but across the bay, stretching into Delaware. this is before Bludhaven was established so who knows how accurate this still is.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-24-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This is the first time I heard that Gotham was in New York. I've always heard that it was in Delaware or Conneticut. Metropolis is usually associated with New York and Bludhaven with New Jersey.
    I agree that's reversed from more recent versions. Of course, in the early Detective Comics stories, Batman was actually working in New York, with Gotham coming a smidge later. While I know Gotham and Metropolis are New Jersey and Deleware now, I do still sometimes think of them as sort of alternate New Yorks, just somewhere else geographically. Less so recently, though, when I started trying to figure out the cities, analyzing them in a way that will never work for comic books, just to figure out what wages and rents should be.

Thematically Metropolis is NY at day and Gotham is NY at night

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Thematically Metropolis is NY at day and Gotham is NY at night
    I have heard that before, of course. But the thing is, NY has changed a lot over the years - in the last 35 years, the status quo of NY has changed a lot more than the status quo of Metropolis or Gotham, I think. Metropolis and Gotham have changed a lot since the golden age, but not so much since Crisis, I think. But I don't know when that statement was made, though I heard it attributed to Frank Miller.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-24-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Retired

In early Batman, the city isn't usually identified, but it is called New York at least once that I know, in DETECTIVE COMICS 31. Finally, in Batman 4, it's called Gotham City.

In early Superman, Joe Shuster says he modelled the skyline after Toronto, but the city isn't usually identified, except in ACTION COMICS 11 where it's called Cleveland--which is where Siegel and Shuster were located and the artists in the Shuster studio were there, too--so they would be influenced by the locations and landmarks in that area. However, in ACTION COMICS 16, the city is finally identified as Metropolis--no doubt after the Fritz Lang movie of the same name.

But most writers and artists at DC were living in the greater New York area. And like with many other comics characters--since most of the publishers were in New York--most of the locations and landmarks are either actually the exact same as New York's or very close copies. And that's the way it is for decades. It's pretty clear that the writers, working in New York and living in that area, are using their own experiences and knowledge of that city as the basis for what they're writing.

More recently, depending on who the writer and artists are, some have felt the need to distinguish Gotham and Metropolis from the actual New York--maybe because too many other characters now lived in a city actually called New York--and there's been this effort to retrofit those fictional cities to another place on the U.S. map.

I shouldn't even be posting this in "controversial opinions" as it's actually what has happened and not an opinion.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree that's reversed from more recent versions. Of course, in the early Detective Comics stories, Batman was actually working in New York, with Gotham coming a smidge later. While I know Gotham and Metropolis are New Jersey and Deleware now, I do still sometimes think of them as sort of alternate New Yorks, just somewhere else geographically. Less so recently, though, when I started trying to figure out the cities, analyzing them in a way that will never work for comic books, just to figure out what wages and rents should be.
    "Gotham" was once one of NY's nicknames.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    "Gotham" was once one of NY's nicknames.
    I was aware of that. Well, of an old book that used it, anyway.

It might be time to start a new thread to discuss DC-Earth geography, so this thread can get back to its original purpose.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Oops, wrong thread.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-24-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'd rather non Bat Gotham heroes actually DO something.
    Do they not?

I have never thought Plastic Man was funny
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I have never thought Plastic Man was funny
    He wasn't created to be. In Cole's day, he was the one rational dude surrounded by gonzos. Turning him into a gonzo was the same sort of shallow thinking that turned (The Real) Captain Marvel into A Child Inside A God because his original child-friendly environment couldn't be replicated in the Post-Crisis DCU.

Boisterously Confused

Come next reboot, All Things Bat need to leave the DCU for a continuity of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    He wasn't created to be. In Cole's day, he was the one rational dude surrounded by gonzos. Turning him into a gonzo was the same sort of shallow thinking that turned Captain Marvel into A Child Inside A God because his original child-friendly environment couldn't be replicated in the Post-Crisis DCU.
    I wouldn't say the Shazam change was shallow thinking, from what I know of his older Captain Marvel era his child inside a god incarnation sounds like a more interesting and distinct take to me.

currently following: