Page 237 of 333 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 4988

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Let's put it this way, if someone has never read anything with Donna Troy, that origin won't help in creating interest.
    Agree to disagree. It worked fine when it was first introduced and most major superheroes origins resonate to this day. Origins don't need to just be simple, they also have to be true to the character. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everybody else would feel the same. Donna's origin just needs to be renovated not reinvented whole cloth.

Let's put it this way, if someone has never read anything with Donna Troy, that origin won't help in creating interest.
    Yours is not going to help that. A: it's extremely convoluted in how it plays out, and B: for it to be meaningful and not swept under the carpet and forgotten... it would have to affect her daily life... which would be a nightmare to actually write.

It could work as a new character with a story written around that, but not as a retcon to an existing character. And "boring" or "weak" or whatever else you want to call it, the "adopted by the amazons after a disaster" origin is easy to use in a story and easy for readers to follow.

Extraordinary Member

Superheroes and villains and more than their power levels and who they can beat.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yours is not going to help that. A: it's extremely convoluted in how it plays out, and B: for it to be meaningful and not swept under the carpet and forgotten... it would have to affect her daily life... which would be a nightmare to actually write.

It could work as a new character with a story written around that, but not as a retcon to an existing character. And "boring" or "weak" or whatever else you want to call it, the "adopted by the amazons after a disaster" origin is easy to use in a story and easy for readers to follow.
    You say convoluted. I say "EPIC!"

AF

Astonishing Member

What makes you say that?
    The whole point of the story wasn't that the picture revealed Dorian Grey's actual age, it also showed the corrupt, warped and twisted nature of his soul.

Donna being a 'Portrait of Dorian Grey' for Diana means that she would represent a corrupt, warped and twisted version of Diana's soul, which ruins both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The whole point of the story wasn't that the picture revealed Dorian Grey's actual age, it also showed the corrupt, warped and twisted nature of his soul.

Donna being a 'Portrait of Dorian Grey' for Diana means that she would represent a corrupt, warped and twisted version of Diana's soul, which ruins both characters.
    Wrf are you talking about? I clearly explained what I meant in the comparison, I'm not proposing an adaptation of the Dorian Gray story so those themes don't apply. I'm not pitching Donna as a twisted version of Diana's soul, she is just Diana if her childhood was filled with fear ane insecurity that she had to overcome.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-03-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    You say convoluted. I say "EPIC!"

AF
    Thank you... I think

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Superheroes and villains and more than their power levels and who they can beat.
    This reminds me - I'm sick of heroes being pitted against each other in fights. I mean, I know it's an old tradition. But frequently the results make no sense - often one wins even though they shoudln't either because it's their title or because they are more popular. It too often becomes a pissing contest between fans, and often results in diminishing one to (further) build up the other.

I think the best way to get the more obscure characters over is to give them their own distinct city to protect, or even village tbh. Look at Batman and Gotham, which are inseparable obviously.
    Think what would change if someone like Captain Marvel, Jr had that.

Wrf are you talking about? I clearly explained what I meant in the comparison, I'm not proposing an adaptation of the Dorian Gray story so those themes don't apply. I'm not pitching Donna as a twisted version of Diana's soul, she is just Diana if her childhood was filled with fear ane insecurity that she had to overcome.
    Then maybe you shouldn't have used The Portrait of Dorian Gray as a comparison. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I think the best way to get the more obscure characters over is to give them their own distinct city to protect, or even village tbh. Look at Batman and Gotham, which are inseparable obviously.
    I'm very much in favor of that. Also, their own original supporting casts and villains, rather than borrowing from other heroes or using spinoff villains (like Sivana, Jr.). I'll admit that right now, they can't seem to maintain but so many solo titles, but for those they are trying to establish (including in any anthology titles), I think it would be a plus. Unfortunately, even if one writer creates said characters and cities, the next is all too often eager to discard them (even for bigger names like Wonder Woman and Supergirl).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Then maybe you shouldn't have used The Portrait of Dorian Gray as a comparison. Just saying.
    Cmon dude. This seems like such an unnecessary discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm very much in favor of that. Also, their own original supporting casts and villains, rather than borrowing from other heroes or using spinoff villains (like Sivana, Jr.). I'll admit that right now, they can't seem to maintain but so many solo titles, but for those they are trying to establish (including in any anthology titles), I think it would be a plus. Unfortunately, even if one writer creates said characters and cities, the next is all too often eager to discard them (even for bigger names like Wonder Woman and Supergirl).
    To be fair I think Sivana Jr just makes sense. It may not be hugely creative, but, still, they arrived there with the same logic that made CMJr. Also, solo titles may not last, but even one solo issue is putting them in the spotlight and that’s a start. The writer thing is true, but it’s also cyclical. One writer may discard it but a few writers later could resurrect it again.

Cmon dude. This seems like such an unnecessary discussion.
    Hey, you're the one who mentioned the story not me. It's just weird to make a comparison between what you want and a story that doesn't fit its description and then insist that isn't what you were trying to do.

But whatever. It's not that important anyway.

I never want to see the Titans outright replace the League.