Page 154 of 332 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Been awhile since posting, but here goes...

I'd like to see Barry Allen have Golden Glider as his "Catwoman". Iris is okay but kind of overblown...not exactly iconic but a good combo. Besides, Barry tends to be the oblivious chick magnet anyway. I thought the whole deal with Meena was handled sloppily...its as if editorial suddenly decided it had to be Iris or nothing else. One minute they were dating, then the next nothing at all! It's annoying...I get Meena was controlled by Grodd and all, but the story basically left her friendship with Barry at the door with no explanation. Barry must be with Iris and only Iris! trope. Its annoying.

I always hate these "just because" couples that people get infatuated with. I'm not saying Iris isn't important but she shouldn't be the only one. It gets static and repetitive (Just like Bat/Cat). Just because people are comfortable with status quo doesn't mean other options can't exist. Plus its established Flash and Glider are attracted to each other. I did a bit of research and discovered Glider actually tried to kill Iris at one point (different continuity I know).

Could be like a fatal attraction thing.
    Haven't we been complaining about DC making everyone like Batman too much in recent years? Barry and Iris actually have had thought put into their relationship. Having Barry in a Catwoman-like relationship with Golden Glider is far less justifiable.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Haven't we been complaining about DC making everyone like Batman too much in recent years? Barry and Iris actually have had thought put into their relationship. Having Barry in a Catwoman-like relationship with Golden Glider is far less justifiable.
    When Wally was Flash he had a similar thing with Magenta though.

Astonishing Member

Wally and Magenta wasn't really a thing when she came into The Flash title. At basically every turn Wally rebuffed her.

What's this got to do with Batman? I was just using that as a reference. The idea that it's just one person in your life with no other relationships is just 50s gumdrop nonsense. Just like the deal with Meena...they started to work that storyline but dropped it 'just because it has to be Iris.' Iris is a good character but she isn't so interesting at the expense of everything else. All of a sudden I felt like I was reading a lot of pre-COIE scenes with the two of them rehashed, just to prove IT MUST BE IRIS!!! Plus, a friendship with Glider would underscore Barry's complex personality. It could be a flirtation, it could be on again off again trouble. It would add depth to the character's weaknesses, not just the "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THE TRUTH" trope the series got bogged down with.

Plus the fact that Flashes tend to behave as extreme as their power, especially when family is threatened. It's what gets them into trouble in the first place. Even Wally alluded to it when he said he wanted so much to be like Barry he was making the SAME mistakes Barry did!

Forgot to mention Williamson did say on twitter he wanted to do something with Glider but hadn't made up his mind what direction to take it, but the plan was to cause tension with the Rogues. We've already had Cold warn Barry to stay away from his sister twice. Even Iris asked him about Glider. Williamson left it open to the future he might return to the series and tinker with that.

Can you imagine Flash under Morrison????
    Last edited by BooCoo; 09-16-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    What's this got to do with Batman?
    I mean, you brought it up.

The idea that it's just one person in your life with no other relationships is just 50s gumdrop nonsense.
    This is not a problem that applies to Barry who has had love interests other than Iris and other people besides Iris so this is a non-existent issue.

Plus, a friendship with Glider would underscore Barry's complex personality. It could be a flirtation, it could be on again off again trouble. It would add depth to the character's weaknesses, not just the "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THE TRUTH" trope the series got bogged down with.
    You never suggested a friendship in your previous post. I was responding to what you wrote.

Plus the fact that Flashes tend to behave as extreme as their power, especially when family is threatened. It's what gets them into trouble in the first place. Even Wally alluded to it when he said he wanted so much to be like Barry he was making the SAME mistakes Barry did!
    Okay, what's that got to do with anything?

Incredible Member

The Silver Age is my personal favorite age of comics

Bringing Barry back was the right call since Wally's character was basically completed after Johns wrapped up and he began to just kinda bounce around in mediocre stories

Flash Rebirth was amazing

Tynion's Batman run has been more entertaining than Scott Snyder's

I don't mind the JSA being on a separate earth. I like the idea of the Justice League being the first superhero team in universe versus having superheroes always exist in the public eye (like how the hell did the USA lose any subsequent war when they have superheroes?)

Not sure if this is unpopular or not but savage Hawkman is better than space cop or egyptian prince hawkman (also I prefer him having organic wings rather than fake wings)

The "I Am" trilogy and the War of Jokes and Riddles was awesome during King's run

I prefer the Rogues to be metahumans rather than normal guys with technology

I like dinosaur man Killer Croc over mobster Croc

I mean, you brought it up.

This is not a problem that applies to Barry who has had love interests other than Iris and other people besides Iris so this is a non-existent issue.

You never suggested a friendship in your previous post. I was responding to what you wrote.

Okay, what's that got to do with anything?

Using Batman as a reference and making Barry identical are two different things. I don't think anybody expects that. I kind of talked about the deal with Iris in another thread. The changeover to making her a co-star in the series was drastic and dramatic to the point where you knew there was an editorial switch in direction. When Barry broke up with Patty Spivot it was written well and made sense. Now, Barry went from a developing friendship/relationship with Meena to Iris in a heartbeat with no transition at all. It was rushed and forced not to mention weird. Its come out that Williamson was overridden with some ideas for the series (not uncommon) so we'll never know what it would look like if he had total free rein. I saw on Twitter that the Finish Line arc is one where he was given the ticket to tell his story. Curious to see if Barry kills Thawne for good (not that I believe that). And now we have the Barry "Super Saiyan" angle.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Mine is having wonder woman superman level in power, instead of golden age level(with regular Amazon's captain America level). There is a reason she had a invisible jet to fly, and gauntlets and shields to block things, and swords and her tiara for weapons, and her lasso to bound. Not even mentioning the fact that she is a bad ass fighter who could kick any bodies ass even without her powers.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Mine is having wonder woman superman level in power, instead of golden age level(with regular Amazon's captain America level). There is a reason she had a invisible jet to fly, and gauntlets and shields to block things, and swords and her tiara for weapons, and her lasso to bound. Not even mentioning the fact that she is a bad ass fighter who could kick any bodies ass even without her powers.
    Whats the reason for those things if you make her superman level in power?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Whats the reason for those things if you make her superman level in power?

That was my point. I was saying she should NOT be superman level, because she has all those things.

It's kinda how I don't think the Martian manhunter should have superman level strength or a vision blast.

Or how I think Conner Kent should have the YJ shows powerset(with heat vision) as his base, but have TTK to amp himself up to kryptonian levels.

Just like I think they should emphasize that a GL ring is NOT the most powerful weapon in the universe, but IT COULD BE on the right finger.

I think Flash's being able to time travel under their own power is to much.

Aquamans "fish" telepathy should be emphasized more as a hard core blunt weapon against anything alive.

Why tin draw doesn't use a batman beyond type suit now in the present blows my mind, he is tailored made for one.

Bring back Grant Emerson, the better Damage

I always look at the design of the characters as originally conceived. In Wonder Woman's case it is quite clear and expressly stated in multiple venues what her power level should be. She was conceived to be dominant in strength and speed. Her artifacts come in because it was desired that she be "invincible yet human".

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I always look at the design of the characters as originally conceived. In Wonder Woman's case it is quite clear and expressly stated in multiple venues what her power level should be. She was conceived to be dominant in strength and speed. Her artifacts come in because it was desired that she be "invincible yet human".

And she can be that with golden age superman levels of power. She doesnt need to be a God level being to be a badass

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    And she can be that with golden age superman levels of power. She doesnt need to be a God level being to be a badass
    The same could be said about Superman but here we are.

BANNED

I think a lot of fans act like getting rid of or at least cleaning up a lot of these knockoff heroes that clutter the DCU would somehow be disastrous, because they have "strong fanbases," but I'm very confident that the fanbases, while perhaps vocal, typically aren't enough to really move the needle in any substantial way regarding sales. For example, if DC were to put out a...I don't know, Jessica Cruz book, would it sell really well? Maybe. BUT! I think if it sold really well, it would do so on grounds of being very well received. I don't believe Jessica Cruz is a popular enough character to where she will sell because there is an especially strong demand for Jessica Cruz.

Furthermore, I've also noticed a line of thinking that a character breaches some whole new level of popularity because they were adapted in a cartoon or something, as if this is an absolute. I don't believe this, either. Adapting a character does not necessarily make that character beloved. It can...but it doesn't always work out that way. And the character's adaptation doesn't necessarily need to be a trainwreck for it to not land with a big splash. A lot of the time, I think there is just a general ambivalence...or not caring THAT much about the characters from a lot of people. That said, adaptations no doubt get more eyes on a given character, but whether or not people actually end up caring about the character and willing to spend money on them (which should be the end goal here) is a whole other story.
    Last edited by Hi-Max; 09-20-2020 at 09:08 PM.

The idea of characters "cluttering up" the DCU is preposterous given how long the comics have been running. There is no such thing as clutter when building a large shared universe and the only time this argument comes up is when people want to get rid of characters they don't like.

And judging a character's popularity by how well they sell in a comic is a mistake given comics in general have been circling the drain for decades.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-20-2020 at 09:40 PM.