Page 173 of 332 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Guess my controversial GL opinion is I liked Hal Jordan's grey temples.
    I dig them too, I feel it would sell the whole "Greatest Green Lantern" epithet DC kept (keeps?) trying to push for Hal. you know, besides Johns, I don't think (personally) I've heard of that many people who don't like the grey temples (at least nowadays).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For me the problem was out-of-sync aging. No one else looked that much older. Indeed, using Dick Grayson's age as a guideline, it had only been about 6 years since Hal got the ring. Though, admittedly some get grey hair before others.
    It didn't make sense. I'm pretty sure the actual comics state Hal Jordan got the ring 15 years ago when we first see him with grey hair.

*goes to double check*

Yeah, that's what it says:

I think the writer got the idea to do the grey hair because the editors wouldn't let him give Hal Jordan a true Post-Crisis reboot. He had to work from the 1959 continuity. I'm not sure why DC did that with Green Lantern but not other major characters. The picking and choosing what to reboot and what not to is one of the things that led to a lot of tangles in DC's shared continuity. It's an odd policy that goes on today and has totally run amok and contributed largely to wreaking havok with the continuity.

Astonishing Member

How you portray a character's code is just as important as what said code actually is. It's the thing that infuriates me about the way Batman's "no kill" rule is portrayed at times.

Lots of writers will portray him as willing to torture and possibly cripple criminals so long as he doesn't actually kill them. I feel like that betrays the spirit of a "no killing" rule because it portrays him (and other superheroes with the same rule) as caring more about "whether they killed someone" than the well-being of the criminal.

Ethics aren't something you can just power-game like in an RPG.

Yeah I interpret Bruce’s “no-killing” to include “no permanent physical harm”.

Oh also I think Batman using torture is a bad thing. Just putting that out there.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

DC has a bad habit of inserting characters in places they shouldn't be whether its teams, movies, books etc and it's one of the reasons why DC has crap branding mainly outside Batman.

I shouldn't have to watch a JLD movie and Harley Quinn gets more screen time than Zatanna or any other member of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh also I think Batman using torture is a bad thing. Just putting that out there.
    This shouldn't even be a controversial opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Unfortunately some people think otherwise. Some people loved that part in Arkham Knight where Bruce almost crushes someone’s head underneath the Batmobile to get info.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah I interpret Bruce’s “no-killing” to include “no permanent physical harm”.

The permanent harm thing is mostly a meme outside of Frank Miller's "you're young. You'll walk again" psychotic Batman.

I'm universe, he isn't excessive unless the story wants to hang a lampshade on it so that he becomes less severe.

Unfortunately some people think otherwise. Some people loved that part in Arkham Knight where Bruce almost crushes someone’s head underneath the Batmobile to get info.
    What I've found funny is these are the same people would lose it if they saw Batman using a gun or if any of Batman's torture victims were said to have been killed.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The best Batman stories only have him use violence as a last resort, and to be very controlled about it when he does. He should also be competent enough to get info without resorting to torture. Intimidation at absolute most.

We do not have many good Batman stories lately

I remember reading an issue of Gotham Central where these two detective stumble upon Batman basically torturing Penguin and it just seemed so excessive and unnecessary. And this was from the same writers who tried to walk back away from the grimdark edgy Batman with Murderer/Fugitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    DC has a bad habit of inserting characters in places they shouldn't be whether its teams, movies, books etc and it's one of the reasons why DC has crap branding mainly outside Batman.

I shouldn't have to watch a JLD movie and Harley Quinn gets more screen time than Zatanna or any other member of the team.
    Well, it was half a JLD film and half an Endgame film that had to spotlight basically every main group/character that had appeared in that line up to that point...not that I'm justifying, but that's kind of how it ended up.

Astonishing Member

The reason why it's controversial is because you kinda wish certain villains end up maimed horribly for their deeds.

Thinking about it some more, the idea of an "ultimate hero" doesn't do any character any good. Writers forget that they themselves are not perfect and cannot write perfect characters. Just writer the heroes sympathetically and understand that they will make mistakes some times.

Astonishing Member

Thinking about it some more, the idea of an "ultimate hero" doesn't do any character any good. Writers forget that they themselves are not perfect and cannot write perfect characters. Just writer the heroes sympathetically and understand that they will make mistakes some times.
    I think you highlighted why Batman's portrayal can often get annoying. His flaws don't stop writers from portraying him as an "ultimate hero".

It can come off as glorifying depression and mental illness.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

if i want to portray the bad of Vigilantism,then batman would torture people. i find the white washing that happens to support "superhero" narrative to inadvertently advocating for vigilante justice. Cause, he is vigilante. he shouldn't exist.As if, violence is something that can be that easy to control.I don't view Superman, batman, ... etc as heroes or some sort good guys. Being batman is not a prideful statement. it should never be.