Page 169 of 333 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 4993

What was the point of Speed metal, really? Yes, Barry and Wally connected but that could have happened elsewhere. The 'cool' metal uniforms amounted to nothing, all that running around amounted to nothing, all the drama about the moebius chair amounted to nothing. Why? Because "BatGod" had already rigged the chair. So Wally is sitting there like a dope..."Duh what happened?" the flashes were played for idiots. Because if it isn't WW, Bats or Supes it can't be important or epic. In Death Metal 4 they even stated the 'big 3' had the most important mission. Naturally. Even though what they did didn't seem any more important. So despite having a universal power the Flashes continue to be marginalized into team B status punchline when the heavyweights clash. They constantly lose their powers or have them stolen. And don't get me started about the "BAT EVERYTHING" syndrome and how "EVERYTHING BAT IS SMARTER, BETTER, THE BEST, ETC. Even when it makes no sense. So a supposed called 'heavyweight' is a regular dude in a costume with parent issues. Why? because DC mandates it so. Because everyone everywhere wants everything all Bat, all the time. So stretch the myth till it pops. This same guy who's a bleeding meat sack every time he gets in a fight is a universal power? Don't make me laugh.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 10-20-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    What was the point of Speed metal, really? Yes, Barry and Wally connected but that could have happened elsewhere. The 'cool' metal uniforms amounted to nothing, all that running around amounted to nothing, all the drama about the moebius chair amounted to nothing. Why? Because "BatGod" had already rigged the chair. So Wally is sitting there like a dope..."Duh what happened?" the flashes were played for idiots. Because if it isn't WW, Bats or Supes it can't be important or epic. In Death Metal 4 they even stated the 'big 3' had the most important mission. Naturally. Even though what they did didn't seem any more important. So despite having a universal power the Flashes continue to be marginalized into team B status punchline when the heavyweights clash. They constantly lose their powers or have them stolen. And don't get me started about the "BAT EVERYTHING" syndrome and how "EVERYTHING BAT IS SMARTER, BETTER, THE BEST, ETC. Even when it makes no sense. So a supposed called 'heavyweight' is a regular dude in a costume with parent issues. Why? because DC mandates it so. Because everyone everywhere wants everything all Bat, all the time. So stretch the myth till it pops. This same guy who's a bleeding meat sack every time he gets in a fight is a universal power? Don't make me laugh.
    The real question is what's the whole point of Death Metal. It's all garbage and edge.

Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Cheshire, Circe and numerous other female villains being characterized by their sexuality is far more prudish and sex negative than giving Wonder Woman pants or covering up Power Girl's cleavage.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Cheshire, Circe and numerous other female villains being characterized by their sexuality is far more prudish and sex negative than giving Wonder Woman pants or covering up Power Girl's cleavage.
    How so? (You piqued my curiosity.)

My controversial opinions? I like the Jessica Cruz Green Lantern more then Hal Jordan (and that Hal is the most boring of the Earth Lanterns and should be the one to go on hiatus).

I also generally like DC movies and cartoons way more then the comics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    How so? (You piqued my curiosity.)
    Ivy, Circe, Cheshire and Catwoman are femme fatale archetypes. The femme fatale character is essentially a demonization of the sexually active woman. It basically vilifies and, in many cases, punishes female characters for being sexual. A common argument against the push to make female characters more modest in design is that such actions are prudish, sexist and sex negative but that is far more true of constantly making female villains so associated with sexuality.

This article explains it way better than I could

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/sexual...mpression=true

My controversial opinions? I like the Jessica Cruz Green Lantern more then Hal Jordan (and that Hal is the most boring of the Earth Lanterns and should be the one to go on hiatus).

I also generally like DC movies and cartoons way more then the comics.
    I think liking just about any Green Lantern that isn't Hal is more popular than controversial. I'm more or less okay with him so long as he isn't the sole focus of the franchise and he isn't written by Geoff Johns.

Liking the movies and shows more than the comics is certainly a controversial opinion though.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think liking just about any Green Lantern that isn't Hal is more popular than controversial..
    It's not controversial (or shouldn't be), but I don't think it's always the more popular choice either.

I also agree that over reliance on the femme fatale stuff is a bad thing, but I also don't think Catwoman in particular really gets demonized or punished for it any longer (if she ever did).
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-21-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's not controversial (or shouldn't be), but I don't think it's always the more popular choice either.

I also agree that over reliance on the femme fatale stuff is a bad thing, but I also don't think Catwoman in particular really gets demonized or punished for it any longer (if she ever did).
    Good point. I shouldn't have included her.

If anything Wonder Woman and Power Girl are examples of characters who are heroes who also are open and forward with their sexuality, if differently from the ladies you list. Same with characters like Fire.

I think they're sex positive in some respects as strong, confident, women who are outward in their femininity and sexuality, which is why they're popular to begin with.
    Ivy, Circe, Cheshire and Catwoman are femme fatale archetypes. The femme fatale character is essentially a demonization of the sexually active woman. It basically vilifies and, in many cases, punishes female characters for being sexual. A common argument against the push to make female characters more modest in design is that such actions are prudish, sexist and sex negative but that is far more true of constantly making female villains so associated with sexuality.
    I think we've moved on from them so much being viewed in a negative way for being more outward with and owning their sexuality towards just viewing them as villains purely for the crimes they commit and their sexuality is just an aspect of their character.

I mean, I guess the idea that being a criminal or villain allows one to feel more liberated or free in that respect is problematic, but I think that's a whole 'nother topic.
    I think liking just about any Green Lantern that isn't Hal is more popular than controversial. I'm more or less okay with him so long as he isn't the sole focus of the franchise and he isn't written by Geoff Johns.
    What did you dislike about Geoff's Hal?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I wouldn't really say any of them are punished for acting like femme fatale's any more than they're punished just for being villains and have to face comeuppance for their crimes.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Dick Grayson is a much more interesting character than Bruce Wayne and should have a lot more focus in the DCU.

Constantine is way over used and has been pushed unnaturally onto the fandom for the past 10 years or so. Hes not Harley Quinn levels annoying and pushed but still. Also his pairing with Zatanna is one of the worst pairings I've seen.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Variant cover artists need to stop being horny and portray Batman like a harem king among Gotham female characters. Every time I see it I cringe laugh because 2 of them are in a relationship with each other and have no interest in him, 1 is his lesbian cousin, 1 has a crush on his son, 1 he barely even speak to and only 1 is actually his love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Variant cover artists need to stop being horny and portray Batman like a harem king among Gotham female characters. Every time I see it I cringe laugh because 2 of them are in a relationship with each other and have no interest in him, 1 is his lesbian cousin, 1 has a crush on his son, 1 he barely even speak to and only 1 is actually his love interest.
    To be fair, all three of them have kissed him at some point .

I find that less problematic than in the DCAU where seemingly every major DC lady needed to make out with Batman at some point.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, but I already spent my anger on that, so I moved to a smaller target

By the way, I forget that Ma and Pa Kent is taking care of Conner. So there ya go. They're Superboy supporting cast. Now can we keep them?

By the way, I forget that Ma and Pa Kent is taking care of Conner. So there ya go. They're Superboy supporting cast. Now can we keep them?
    Oh, I hated that. Basically slotting Kon into Clark's past - Clark's powers, Clark's hometown, Clark's parents. Even a Luthor hanging around. I like him so much better in Hawaii. When he had unique powers and his own supporting cast that really had no connection to Superman. Well, I guess Dubbilex did, but not much. He seems so much more independent from Superman that way (back when he was sort of a cousin), and that's a good thing for me. Don't prefer Kara in journalism or Jon in the Legion because it's similarly making them more Clark to me. I like Clark. I just want them to do their own things (Jon in time when he grew up very slowly, but I didn't get that wish).

I find that less problematic than in the DCAU where seemingly every major DC lady needed to make out with Batman at some point.
    Definitely did not like that. Honestly don't even rewatch the parts of the DCAU I liked the first time because it's now kind of tainted for me. Maybe I will at some point. I'd probably even enjoy it. But I just can't summon the enthusiasm to do so.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-21-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Definitely did not like that. Honestly don't even rewatch the parts of the DCU I liked the first time because it's now kind of tainted for me. Maybe I will at some point. I'd probably even enjoy it. But I just can't summon the enthusiasm to do so.
    BTAS can be a bit difficult to watch knowing the sad endings the major cast go through. Not to mention the cute Dick/Barabra shipping scenes get kind of weird knowing the squicky direction they went with later.

I sort of view Mask of the Phantasm as the finale for BTAS the way it was originally intended to be before they got renewed on Kids WB. The design changes make it easier to think of it as different shows. I can enjoy the latter batch, but I don't really like that they are connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair, all three of them have kissed him at some point .

That the major legacy the DCAU left on Wonder Woman is a schoolgirl crush on Bats supports this.