Page 254 of 263 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 3939
  1. #3796
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Was that part of FINAL CRISIS SUBMIT considered bad? I thought that with the end of the world happening and all the inhumanity both shown and implied that their reaction to one another in that quiet moment was kind of ....beautiful.
    For Snapper, sure. For Cheetah she ended up sleeping with the Justice League's discarded mascot. Kind of a step down for Diana's archenemy.

    Rucka has had some really weird ideas for Diana's universe that I can't get behind.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-20-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  2. #3797
    Astonishing Member TheRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like silver-age, truly, really good Pete (and I'm not even a silver age Supes fan). I like the idea of him ending up happy.
    That's a nice thought, but I much prefer realistic stories.

  3. #3798
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For Snapper, sure. For Cheetah she ended up sleeping with the Justice League's discarded mascot. Kind of a step down for Diana's archenemy.

    Rucka has had some really weird ideas for Diana's universe that I can't get behind.
    I think Rucka was just a Crack Shipper before the internet gave it a name, lol.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  4. #3799
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think Rucka was just a Crack Shipper before the internet gave it a name, lol.
    He's a WonderBat guy, so I believe you.

    We're all allowed a crack ship or two, but damn. Snapper Carr? Was Woozy Winks busy or something?
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  5. #3800
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, but there was a documented attempt at trying to bury JLI and Snapper is Satellite era. He was a loser, but he was Didio's loser, you know?
    Yeah, I get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Snapper Carr getting his neck snapped has an irony to it.

    But nope. Rucka was saving Snapper Carr for...other things...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka's treatment of Cheetah across his two runs is like night and day. Liam Sharp's design must have really done wonders to inspire him, because going from "fucked Snapper Carr" to "horrific and tragic anti-villain/deutragonist" is quite a glow up.

    Though he still continued his weird tendency to pair her up with side characters. Etta is at least better than Snapper or Zoom, but feels like an underwhelming consolation prize for Diana/Barbara not happening.
    In my head canon, that was Deborah Domaine and she was just 'filling' on Barbara while the latter was chilling somewhere else.

    Rucka's pairings can sometimes feel like fanfic OC being paired with canon characters or just full blown escapism. The former definitely applies to Sasha Bourdeoux's romance with Bruce. Meanwhile, Cheetah, 'the sexy cat lady' gets paired with Snapper Carr who is basically an in universe fanboy and earlier with Hunter Zolomon which qualify for the latter.

  6. #3801
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For Snapper, sure. For Cheetah she ended up sleeping with the Justice League's discarded mascot. Kind of a step down for Diana's archenemy.

    Rucka has had some really weird ideas for Diana's universe that I can't get behind.
    Aside from Cheetah in his first run (which he made up for in his second) and the WonderBat ship teasing, I otherwise think his ideas for Diana's universe are on point.

    The WonderBat shipping is weird because he's the only writer who goes for that who writes her character well. But his Bruce is pretty meh. He's like the anti-Bruce Timm.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Rucka's pairings can sometimes feel like fanfic OC being paired with canon characters or just full blown escapism. The former definitely applies to Sasha Bourdeoux's romance with Bruce. Meanwhile, Cheetah, 'the sexy cat lady' gets paired with Snapper Carr who is basically an in universe fanboy and earlier with Hunter Zolomon which qualify for the latter.
    Yeah. I like Sasha, but she may be the most prominent fanfic-ish OC pairing for Bruce we've seen. Silver would be the next one down.

    And I like Silver too, but it is kind of amusing when a writer is transparently shilling who they believe is Batman's One True Love, and then that character vanishes when they leave the book and Selina comes back.

  7. #3802
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    8,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's a WonderBat guy, so I believe you.

    We're all allowed a crack ship or two, but damn. Snapper Carr? Was Woozy Winks busy or something?
    I think he only really shipped them in post-Crisis during the BN mini and because options like Trevor were off the table (because Steve has all the benefits people ascribed to "WonderBat" but with the key added benefit of not being Batman ).

    He also wasn't really interested in romance in his first run.

  8. #3803
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,729

    Default

    Superman and Batman shouldn't be best friends
    The J-man

  9. #3804
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Aside from Cheetah in his first run (which he made up for in his second) and the WonderBat ship teasing, I otherwise think his ideas for Diana's universe are on point.

    The WonderBat shipping is weird because he's the only writer who goes for that who writes her character well. But his Bruce is pretty meh. He's like the anti-Bruce Timm.



    Yeah. I like Sasha, but she may be the most prominent fanfic-ish OC pairing for Bruce we've seen. Silver would be the next one down.

    And I like Silver too, but it is kind of amusing when a writer is transparently shilling who they believe is Batman's One True Love, and then that character vanishes when they leave the book and Selina comes back.
    Rucka's one of my favorite writers so my teasing comes out of weird tendencies I've noticed in his work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Superman and Batman shouldn't be best friends
    Personally, I don't care if they are friends or not. It won't make me pick up or drop a book.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  10. #3805
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I think he only really shipped them in post-Crisis during the BN mini and because options like Trevor were off the table (because Steve has all the benefits people ascribed to "WonderBat" but with the key added benefit of not being Batman ).

    He also wasn't really interested in romance in his first run.
    I think he would have gone for Diana/Io in his first run if he'd been allowed to go for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Superman and Batman shouldn't be best friends
    For post-Crisis and beyond Batman, that's probably true.

    They were both better when they were friends though before Frank fucked it all up.

  11. #3806
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,901

    Default

    The World's Finest are at their best when they are best friends. Accept no substitutes.
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  12. #3807
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The World's Finest are at their best when they are best friends. Accept no substitutes.
    They can be working friends or friends but best friends? No, not the way they’ve been written for the last 20 to 30 years. It just feels forced. They are DCs two most popular characters so let’s just make them best friends.

    For Clark you’ve got Peter Ross or Jimmy Olsen, John Henry or literally a number of other heroes
    The J-man

  13. #3808
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Superman and Batman shouldn't be best friends
    Whoa.

    That IS controversial! What puts you off about the friendship? Do you feel close ties between any of the Trinity should exist?

  14. #3809
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Barbara Minerva was very much a See It, Want It, Take It type of person. So it never bothered me to see her be so forward with Carr or the weird talking yellow flash guy. This character trait was how she got her powers originally

  15. #3810
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    8,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think he would have gone for Diana/Io in his first run if he'd been allowed to go for it.
    Maybe but I got Io was more into Diana than vice-versa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •