Page 108 of 123 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1831
  1. #1606
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,745

    Default

    Why would anyone think a superhero has a secret identity? Wouldn't they just assume Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman is always Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman? You don't assume a cop or a fireman or a mailman
    is someone else even when they aren't in uniform. Why would anyone think a superhero is hiding as someone else when they aren't being a superhero? Wouldn't the assumption be they just went home and ate and slept? Having
    a secret identity itself is really just a comic book concept. Most people in the real world don't have a secret identity. So having a secret identity in the first place is just as ridiculous as having one that is kept hidden.

  2. #1607
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Why would anyone think a superhero has a secret identity? Wouldn't they just assume Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman is always Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman? You don't assume a cop or a fireman or a mailman
    is someone else even when they aren't in uniform. Why would anyone think a superhero is hiding as someone else when they aren't being a superhero? Wouldn't the assumption be they just went home and ate and slept? Having
    a secret identity itself is really just a comic book concept. Most people in the real world don't have a secret identity. So having a secret identity in the first place is just as ridiculous as having one that is kept hidden.
    For the heroes who don’t wear masks like Superman or WW, I agree that most people wouldn’t think they have Secret identities. Supes has got a Fortress on the North Pole and most people assume when he’s not around that’s where he is. But a guy like Batman who wears a mask, I think people would wonder who he is, and suspect that he’s got to be having some kind of secret life.

  3. #1608
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Having a secret identity itself is really just a comic book concept.
    Certainly its most well-known expression. Though there was also Zorro, who gets used as Batman's inspiration. The Scarlet Pimpernel, etc. Though Zorro actually became a comic book, so...

    For the heroes who don’t wear masks like Superman or WW, I agree that most people wouldn’t think they have Secret identities. Supes has got a Fortress on the North Pole and most people assume when he’s not around that’s where he is. But a guy like Batman who wears a mask, I think people would wonder who he is, and suspect that he’s got to be having some kind of secret life.
    I agree about people thinking maskless heroes don't have secret identities. But you bringing up the Fortress does lead to another issue - everyone and his brother knowing so much about how heroes powers work, and other secrets. Like a Fortress - he might not want to mention it exists to anyone. Maybe GLs should keep the existence of a lantern ring-charger secret (several wanted to steal or sabotage in old comics as I realized on a recent skim-through of silver age GL). Maybe try not to broadcast there's a green mineral that can kill you quickly. And so forth and so on.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-13-2020 at 11:24 AM.

  4. #1609
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Why would anyone think a superhero has a secret identity? Wouldn't they just assume Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman is always Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman? You don't assume a cop or a fireman or a mailman
    is someone else even when they aren't in uniform. Why would anyone think a superhero is hiding as someone else when they aren't being a superhero? Wouldn't the assumption be they just went home and ate and slept? Having
    a secret identity itself is really just a comic book concept. Most people in the real world don't have a secret identity. So having a secret identity in the first place is just as ridiculous as having one that is kept hidden.
    Actually, undercover cops, agents, black ops soldiers, etc all have secret identities. For much the same reason that comic book heroes do (to protect their loved ones and what not). So, not all that ridiculous.

  5. #1610
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Actually, undercover cops, agents, black ops soldiers, etc all have secret identities. For much the same reason that comic book heroes do (to protect their loved ones and what not). So, not all that ridiculous.
    Some undercover police officers and federal agents have even had to change their names after publicly testifying against mobsters because of mob retaliation attempts against them and their families. So secret identifies do make a lot of sense depending on the hero and their personal life.

  6. #1611
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For the heroes who don’t wear masks like Superman or WW, I agree that most people wouldn’t think they have Secret identities. Supes has got a Fortress on the North Pole and most people assume when he’s not around that’s where he is. But a guy like Batman who wears a mask, I think people would wonder who he is, and suspect that he’s got to be having some kind of secret life.
    Even with Superman, people would have to wonder what he's doing with all the time that he's actually spending at Clark's job. At least some would speculate that he's got some way of blending in.

  7. #1612
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    470

    Default

    My latest controversial personal opinion… some comic book fans can be the whiniest, self entitled, child like, fanatics ever.

    All a comic book company is supposed to do is simply offer a selection of titles they hope may entertain people. THAT’S IT.

    Yet SOME comic book fans act as if these companies are supposed to cater to every single one of their personal whims.

    Seriously, people if you don’t like something stop complaining and JUST DON’T BUY IT.

    It gets kind of annoying constantly reading stuff like “So and so ruined everything” and “So and so is boring/stupid/whatever and therefore my favourite character is SUPERIOR” and “the writer obviously likes so and so better and is burying MY favourite character” etc, etc. and all of the nonsensical arguments that springs from a lot of this stuff online.

    I mean, when I was 8 I no longer enjoyed wrestling, because I didn’t like one of the wrestler’s I liked turning heel.

    Did I constantly complain about it, whining to whoever would listen for years on end? Of course not. I simply stopped watching and moved on to other stuff that entertained me. That simple.

    That fact that grown adults can’t do the same with something as trivial as comic books is almost kind of disturbing to me personally.

  8. #1613
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    I´m one of the few fans of recently Martian Manhunter x Hawkgirl, I agree it begin kinda forced, but eventually grow some chemistry between them, J´onn almost always stays single and it´s weird considering most Leaguers have dated each other ´til now, also I remember clearly Kendra x Carter was pretty unhealthy, Hawkman used to be more violent than usual being jealous and alone ´cause Kendra´s issues

    Y'know.. if they double downed on the idea of 'nobody wants to date a telepath...' I'd be okay with it. That would be TOUGH hurdle to overcome, espectially for a martian who telepathy is as natural as breathing...

  9. #1614
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Even with Superman, people would have to wonder what he's doing with all the time that he's actually spending at Clark's job. At least some would speculate that he's got some way of blending in.
    When you see the reports of Superman saving Metropolis... and Paris... and saving a tanker in the Atlantic... and stopping a volcano in the pacific... People would pretty much assume that when he's not in the news... he's doing something that people just didn't get on camera. Or expecting a Superman Returns idea of just hovering over the earth looking for Asteroids to stop and terrorists to foil...

    Superman is just... too 'worldwide' The idea he does ALL those things, AND STILL has a secret identity with a day job would just blow most people's minds...

  10. #1615
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    When you see the reports of Superman saving Metropolis... and Paris... and saving a tanker in the Atlantic... and stopping a volcano in the pacific... People would pretty much assume that when he's not in the news... he's doing something that people just didn't get on camera. Or expecting a Superman Returns idea of just hovering over the earth looking for Asteroids to stop and terrorists to foil...

    Superman is just... too 'worldwide' The idea he does ALL those things, AND STILL has a secret identity with a day job would just blow most people's minds...
    Exactly. Clark Kent takes a 5 minute bathroom break in America and Superman spends 4 minutes stopping an earthquake in Japan. Twenty minutes later, when Clark walks down an empty stairwell, Superman is in Khandaq stopping a Biyalan incursion before Black Adam can murder them all. An hour later when Clark goes to "get a cab" Superman is taking photos with school kids in Tibet and Clark Kent gets out of a cab exactly where he should be, on time.

    Superman shows up when he's needed, at all hours of the day, all over the world, and he's in and out before you know it (presumably off to the next crisis that needs him, as far as people are concerned....but quite possibly back to the office). People know he's fast, but the idea of him doing all of this around a secret identity is too wild to take seriously.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-15-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  11. #1616
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    My latest controversial personal opinion… some comic book fans can be the whiniest, self entitled, child like, fanatics ever.

    All a comic book company is supposed to do is simply offer a selection of titles they hope may entertain people. THAT’S IT.

    Yet SOME comic book fans act as if these companies are supposed to cater to every single one of their personal whims.

    Seriously, people if you don’t like something stop complaining and JUST DON’T BUY IT.

    It gets kind of annoying constantly reading stuff like “So and so ruined everything” and “So and so is boring/stupid/whatever and therefore my favourite character is SUPERIOR” and “the writer obviously likes so and so better and is burying MY favourite character” etc, etc. and all of the nonsensical arguments that springs from a lot of this stuff online.

    I mean, when I was 8 I no longer enjoyed wrestling, because I didn’t like one of the wrestler’s I liked turning heel.

    Did I constantly complain about it, whining to whoever would listen for years on end? Of course not. I simply stopped watching and moved on to other stuff that entertained me. That simple.

    That fact that grown adults can’t do the same with something as trivial as comic books is almost kind of disturbing to me personally.
    i feel you (damn-near spiritually) but i wouldn't say that's all that controversial. most people will agree to the existence of these kinds of toxic fans, it's recognizing if they themselves are the toxic fan is where it gets messy.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Guardian.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Far Sector
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-Men (2019), Venom, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: John Ridley IV's Batman w/Luke Fox, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  12. #1617
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Seriously, people if you don’t like something stop complaining and JUST DON’T BUY IT.
    This is a discussion board. Not a praise board. People are discussing, and that's entirely appropriate.

    I'm not buying or reading the titles I don't like, but I am keeping up with what's happening on some of them, and am complaining when it sounds horrible (or about old changes I disliked ages ago). I keep following partially in case it sounds like it's getting good again. And partially because recreational outrage is its own kind of entertainment.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-16-2020 at 07:53 AM.

  13. #1618
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    “the writer obviously likes so and so better and is burying MY favourite character” etc, etc. and all of the nonsensical arguments that springs from a lot of this stuff online.
    You say its nonsensical and then Dan Didio, head of DC admits he hates certain characters because "they age heroes" and then said heroes are constantly marginalised or killed.

  14. #1619
    Mighty Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i feel you (damn-near spiritually) but i wouldn't say that's all that controversial. most people will agree to the existence of these kinds of toxic fans, it's recognizing if they themselves are the toxic fan is where it gets messy.
    Criticism is part of discussion and when it's a constant issue (read: Didio's edicts to sabotage characters he personally dislikes), fans have a right to discuss their disapproval.

    Some of us get too passionate and thus escalate that frustration beyond a reasonable threshold, but what you're arguing is essentially to keep your engagement at a level where you can't get fully invested, which I disagree with on every level.

    It's about how discussion is conducted. I avoid a lot of appreciation threads or only bomb in occasionally because they end up being repositories for fan art, shipping wars or complaints (not all, mind, but many). I get where you're coming from, but these boards wouldn't even exist if people didn't love this stuff enough to enthuse or be frustrated over.

  15. #1620
    Mighty Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    My latest controversial personal opinion… some comic book fans can be the whiniest, self entitled, child like, fanatics ever.

    All a comic book company is supposed to do is simply offer a selection of titles they hope may entertain people. THAT’S IT.

    Yet SOME comic book fans act as if these companies are supposed to cater to every single one of their personal whims.

    Seriously, people if you don’t like something stop complaining and JUST DON’T BUY IT.

    It gets kind of annoying constantly reading stuff like “So and so ruined everything” and “So and so is boring/stupid/whatever and therefore my favourite character is SUPERIOR” and “the writer obviously likes so and so better and is burying MY favourite character” etc, etc. and all of the nonsensical arguments that springs from a lot of this stuff online.

    I mean, when I was 8 I no longer enjoyed wrestling, because I didn’t like one of the wrestler’s I liked turning heel.

    Did I constantly complain about it, whining to whoever would listen for years on end? Of course not. I simply stopped watching and moved on to other stuff that entertained me. That simple.

    That fact that grown adults can’t do the same with something as trivial as comic books is almost kind of disturbing to me personally.
    Thats just nerd fanbases in general, Star Wars fans are ultra whiny too
    Reading list: Far Sector (DC), Marauders (Marvel), X-Force (Marvel), X-Men (Marvel), Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Venom (Marvel), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Killadelphia (Image), Bitter Root (Image), Black Hammer: Age of Doom (Darkhorse)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •