Page 52 of 333 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    This is great, thank you
    Thanks.
    I simply couldn't resist. Especially once I found the perfect image that matched the dialogue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The upcoming Supergirl movie just be about Supergirl with no mention of Superman. No Superman cameos. Supergirl is never going to be her own character if she is always shackled to Superman.
    She's literally shackled to him in every way. You can't get past that.

Controversial opinion: I can enjoy Superman as a character, but I don't find him aspirational, nor do I understand why I'm supposed to. He's a comic book character, not a household god.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Controversial opinion: I can enjoy Superman as a character, but I don't find him aspirational, nor do I understand why I'm supposed to. He's a comic book character, not a household god.
    You cant understand someone who never gives up, never gives in and tries to always do the right thing even if it inconveniences him ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcW_EaNJQSo&t=13569s

3:05 to about 3:07 in this video kind of explains it for me at least.

I feel the same way about 'Sports stars and celebrities.'

The difference is that Superman is imaginary enough that he SHOULD be inspirational. Comic book 'heroes' by their nature should represent everything we could be and everything we should want to be in a glorious black vs. white world. No concerns about about doping scandals, sex scandals, political aspirations that drag down the 'real world' people that so many look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

The difference is that Superman is imaginary enough that he SHOULD be inspirational. Comic book 'heroes' by their nature should represent everything we could be and everything we should want to be in a glorious black vs. white world. No concerns about about doping scandals, sex scandals, political aspirations that drag down the 'real world' people that so many look up to.
    Controversial opinion/counter: No they shouldn't. Because the world isn't black and white. Not all the time at least and there is nothing glorious about an entirely black and white world. You cannot aspire to be something that has no basis in reality and if superheroes are to be inspirational then they have to reflect the real world to some extent. After all, if you don't find anything relatable or real about Superman, what is there in him to aspire to?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Controversial opinion/counter: No they shouldn't. Because the world isn't black and white. Not all the time at least and there is nothing glorious about an entirely black and white world. You cannot aspire to be something that has no basis in reality and if superheroes are to be inspirational then they have to reflect the real world to some extent. After all, if you don't find anything relatable or real about Superman, what is there in him to aspire to?
    I don't relate to Wonder Woman at all but I find her to be someone I would aspire to be like. Simple ideals like empathy and love for your fellow man are ingrained in her character. Goodness in it's many forms are more than enough to be a symbol to look up to.

I don't have to relate to something to care about it or learn a lesson from it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I don't relate to Wonder Woman at all but I find her to be someone I would aspire to be like. Simple ideals like empathy and love for your fellow man are ingrained in her character. Goodness in it's many forms are more than enough to be a symbol to look up to.

I don't have to relate to something to care about it or learn a lesson from it.
    Empathy and love for your fellow man are things taught in real life. They aren't lessons found exclusively in comic books. The lessons taught in them are written by real people for real people to read.

Empathy and love for your fellow man are things taught in real life. They aren't lessons found exclusively in comic books. The lessons taught in them are written by real people for real people to read.
    Yeah, that's not in question.

All things we are taught come from real life.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yeah, that's not in question.

All things we are taught come from real life.
    Yeah that's my point. Which is why I don't buy into the idea that superheroes shouldn't include some things from the real world.

Yeah that's my point. Which is why I don't buy into the idea that superheroes shouldn't include some things from the real world.
    Superheroes including things from the real world wasn't in question.

Superheroes including things from the real world wasn't in question.
    From phantom1592

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

From phantom1592
    I wasn't replying to that. I was replying to you saying "After all, if you don't find anything relatable or real about Superman, what is there in him to aspire to?"

To which I give you an example where relatability or realism doesn't matter when finding something to aspire to. I don't need to be the same skin color, gender, class, etc. to find a belief/character to be inspiring.

I stand by my statements.

When people learned how to be overcome adversity and become a champion from Lance Armstrong and how to be a kind hearted family man from Bill Cosby... it's dangerous and stupid to set mere humans as heroes and inspirational goals. Every time you turn on the tv or open a browser someone, somewhere is letting you down.

Superman and Wonder Woman... Should be the best they can be. They should exemplify the morals and the goals and they don't do anything so... wrong unless a writer and an editor let them. The question was 'why should I look up to fictional characters?'

That's my answer