Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
DCAU Batman developed pretty similarly to Post-Crisis Batman in terms of becoming more bitter, laser-focused, and serious, especially by the point he starts mentoring Terry, you just had B:TAS that showcased him in his prime before that happened.
This is definitely why I prefer the earlier seasons, but even so Bruce's descent into becoming colder was still more likable than what happened in the comics.
Helps that the incident with Tim and the Joker lead to a more logical conclusion than the comics.

For me I think Post-Crisis added enough to the Superman mythos to warrant it's existence. The marriage may yet have happened but the way it came about played into the Post-Crisis continuity and development of Lois and Clark's relationship so I'm not sure if one can really say that.
I really don't think it added too much, but there were a lot of subtractions. New additions that came about like Maggie, Steel and Kon could have existed without a revamp.
That specific take on the marriage was based around the post-Crisis era, but Clark and Lois had been dancing around each other sine 1938 and the possibility of marriage was always present in their future. it may have developed differently, but a marriage was always possible without a reboot.

It's generally become the main inspiration point for a lot of Superman adaptions.
And that's pretty unfortunate, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
The post crisis revamps weren't a problem until writers became obsessed with bringing pre crisis stuff.
I think they had a limited shelf life from the beginning. You don't establish the trend of chucking everything that came before to start over without the possibility of the new take wearing out its welcome down the road too, necessitating the return of older stuff that seems fresher since its absence or new stuff entirely.

Creative direction overhauls were needed for all three of them, but the pre-Crisis stuff could have existed just fine without interfering with the changes that worked. Byrne's Superman in particular are some really bad comics, the other two revamps at least have some redeeming features, but his was needless. All the changes, save the Kents being alive, could have been implemented without a reboot and his mythos would be more coherent because of it. Look at what became of the Supergirl and Legion continuities, the problems began with altering continuity without committing fully to a reboot. Either do or don't, DC never learns that lesson.