Page 134 of 332 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 4968
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Diana's motivation is driven by the ideals and stories she heard from the Amazons but I don't see that any different from Superman's morality coming from being raised by the Kents. How does that make her willingness to save people and help any less valid?
    Well, i also see that as bad. Robots and romantics taking actions based on old stories or values programmed in without the character's themselves forming it going through trial of fire can lead to naive good. Not truly good.Naive good can be very disastrous. Virtues can easily become vices. If the story treats naive good as bad then it's ok. Otherwise, its a very simplistic notion of good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, i also see that as bad. Robots and romantics taking actions based on old stories or values programmed in without the character's themselves forming it going through trial of fire can lead to naive good. Not truly good.Naive good can be very disastrous. Virtues can easily become vices. If the story treats naive good as bad then it's ok. Otherwise, its a very simplistic notion of good and bad.
    Well, the conflict of WW ended with her re-affirming her ideals against Ares, so...

Boisterously Confused

So, are Frontier and manwhohaseverything done owning the thread with their 1:1 disagreement and willing to take it to a private conversation? Or should somebody take the OP to a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    So, are Frontier and manwhohaseverything done owning the thread with their 1:1 disagreement and willing to take it to a private conversation? Or should somebody take the OP to a new thread?
    Sorry for derailing the thread .

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sorry for derailing the thread .
    S'okay. He who had many sins cast the first stone.

Returning to the OP:

Elongated Man is a VASTLY superior character to either Plastic Man or Metamorpho.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Elongated Man is a VASTLY superior character to either Plastic Man or Metamorpho.
    I wish people would just realize that Ralph has his own appeal and niche that can help him stand out from Plastic Man. Like who wouldn't want a stretching, fun-loving, mystery sleuth in a story with a fun, supportive, and intelligent wife?

It's why I hate when they make Plas a PI or put him in detective stories.

I prefer Earth One over Year One as Batman's origin.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Releasing the Snyder cut is a bad idea.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

It is Mister Terrific's 23 anniversary...

The Michael Holt version

Would be nice if DC would acknowledge a POC's anniversary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Releasing the Snyder cut is a bad idea.
    I agree, based on his BvS, the Snyder cut is going to be edgy garbage that morons insist is deep and mature because of 'mug realism, symbolism and darkness'.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It is Mister Terrific's 23 anniversary...

The Michael Holt version

Would be nice if DC would acknowledge a POC's anniversary.
    Nice, even 5 and 10 digit numbers are when that kind of thing usually happens, but you're right, we shouldn't wait.

For that matter, we need an anthology special featuring Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, Vixen and Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I can understand that. I guess this is a controversial opinion, but I don't like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern at all. It's possibly my least favorite Green Lantern run. If not, it ranks very high in that category. One of the things that might put it at number 1 is simply how long and repetitive it is. Actually, I don't like anything I've read from Geoff Johns. I've tried giving him a fair shake, but nothing lands with me. Granted, I've never read his JSA, because I'm not a fan of the JSA, but I've heard that is his best work.

But yeah, Geoff Johns' work consistently doesn't interest or connect with me, which is fine. It's interesting, though, considering how so many other people seem to eat it up.
    Come to think of it, I'm not a huge Johns fan either. I think Superman and the Legion deals in too much to the "Superman as a miserable lonely kid" thing, which I don't think really comes from anywhere prior to the pre-Flashpoint period, and I don't like that he goes right back to that same well in his New 52 Superman run, especially considering how much good Morrison had done to get rid of what he called "that weird emo Superman," guess Johns didn't get the memo... I don't like Batman: Earth One at all; I think it glorifies police brutality and guns, and makes Bruce look incompetent. I liked Green Lantern Secret Origin less than Emerald Dawn, as I already said, I don't much care for Flash Rebirth or Green Lantern Rebirth, partially because my favorite Flash was Wally and my favorite version of Hal was Parallax, hm, what else...

I liked his Titans run, but I don't remember it that well, since I read it so long ago, but I love Legion of Three Worlds. So it's not all bad for me! But I think I like fewer things than I dislike.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Johns can be very hit and miss, but I think it ends up being more miss (or just "ok") the further into his career we go. His original Flash run with Wally is still my favorite thing by him, and his GL run is great through Blackest Night before it peters out. His return to the Flash with Barry isn't as good as the first time around, anything he does with the Trinity members tends to be mediocre or terrible like Infinite Crisis, and while I really liked Aquaman and Shazam, I think the movies ran with the concepts of his runs and pulled them off a bit better in some ways.

His JSA run was very good, but I'm not as invested in them so it's hard to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Come to think of it, I'm not a huge Johns fan either.

I liked his Titans run, but I don't remember it that well, since I read it so long ago, but I love Legion of Three Worlds. So it's not all bad for me! But I think I like fewer things than I dislike.
    I think Johns has more good runs than bad ones. Titans, Hawkman, JSA, Star Spangled Kid, Booster Gold, Green Lantern, Wally-Flash, Aquaman, etc.

I'd include Shazam on that list too, though since he's not done it might be too early to really rate it. And I thought Doomsday Clock was actually one of the best things he's written despite the delays.

Does Johns get credit for Vibe? He didn't write the book but it was his premise and concept.

Johns' problem is he can't write the Trinity. And those characters are so big it makes his failure to write them seem bigger than it is. But I think if we made a list of all his work, far more of them would be in the "good" column than the "bad" one, and more than a few would likely be considered "great."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Johns has more good runs than bad ones. Titans, Hawkman, JSA, Star Spangled Kid, Booster Gold, Green Lantern, Wally-Flash, Aquaman, etc.

I'd include Shazam on that list too, though since he's not done it might be too early to really rate it. And I thought Doomsday Clock was actually one of the best things he's written despite the delays.

Does Johns get credit for Vibe? He didn't write the book but it was his premise and concept.

Johns' problem is he can't write the Trinity. And those characters are so big it makes his failure to write them seem bigger than it is. But I think if we made a list of all his work, far more of them would be in the "good" column than the "bad" one, and more than a few would likely be considered "great."
    I thought of the Trinity he eventually got to the point (Darkseid War) where his WW was better than his Superman or Batman. Though I guess it's not hard to write a better WW than the Infinite Crisis-era.

But yeah, I don't think it's a secret his preferences are for the tier of characters below them like GL, Aquaman, Flash, etc. Felt he had more to say with them.