Page 299 of 334 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 4996
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Disagree. I just don't think enough effort has been put into him.

Look at how the efforts put in by Don McGregor, Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin did for Black Panther.
    Maybe DC could make him more popular with alot of efford, but with what they have done sofar in the comics, he is not an interesting character imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Maybe DC could make him more popular with alot of efford, but with what they have done sofar in the comics, he is not an interesting character imo.
    Well NOTHING of what you said is an opinion.

It's almost fact with some exceptions-folks have tried but the results vary.

I mean that is why we scream about effort and some of that does not take as much.

Astonishing Member

I think Black Lightning is interesting, but DC hasn't maximized his potential. Sometimes I wonder if the reason why his character hasn't been maximized is because DC(on some level) feel he's too 'urban' and a sustained push might alienate some readers.

I think Black Lightning is a fascinating character with tons of potential. I just think DC has failed to capitalize on it. They've failed to even try, really. But I doubt it would take a lot of effort to build him up, assuming you could get readers to pick the book up in the first place.

But it's true that BL hasn't ever really proven himself, despite his long history. A credible career as an Outsider, a few short-lived solo books and a few mini's, none of which ever set the sales charts on fire, and a smattering of time with the League and/or Batman. It's a solid resume, but it doesn't scream "A list!"

But if you compare the character's staying power to the effort DC has put into him, I think you find that he's got some juice to him. DC has put far more effort into a lot of characters who never made it past their rookie year, while BL has endured and even gotten his own show.

At worst, he's a reliable and viable ensemble character, good for throwing into team books. At best, he's a diamond in the rough that DC simply hasn't polished yet. But I will never accept the argument that a character built around socio-political commentary is somehow irrelevant or uninteresting, especially in these times. BL hasn't failed DC, DC failed him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, that's just your opinion, man.

I've enjoyed BL's appearances in BL: YO, Black Label, the DC shorts and the Outsiders. I wouldn't be defending him if I didn't enjoy anything he's appeared in.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

The best thing done with Bludhaven is when DC tried to get rid of it in the mid-2000s.

That city is the poster child for everything generic and uninspired DC's overabundant fictional cities.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The best thing done with Bludhaven is when DC tried to get rid of it in the mid-2000s.

That city is the poster child for everything generic and uninspired DC's overabundant fictional cities.
    Hard disagree. DC's fictional cities are one of the best aspects about their universe. In fact, I think that DC should utilize their fictional cities more. They're a great opportunity for world building. James Robinson's Starman and Grant Morrison's Aztek are the best examples of the full potential of fictional locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Of the various fictional cities, I put Bludhaven squarely in the "mediocre" category. Its original description ("It's like Gotham, but worse!") was laughable, but it's hardly the worst offender when it comes to bland fictional cities (looking at you, Midway).

To my mind, there are only a handful of DC fictional cities that feel like they've got a solid identity:
    Metropolis
    Gotham City
    Opal City
    Hub City
    Central and Keystone City
    Smallville

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Of the various fictional cities, I put Bludhaven squarely in the "mediocre" category. Its original description ("It's like Gotham, but worse!") was laughable, but it's hardly the worst offender when it comes to bland fictional cities (looking at you, Midway).

To my mind, there are only a handful of DC fictional cities that feel like they've got a solid identity:
    Metropolis
    Gotham City
    Opal City
    Hub City
    Central and Keystone City
    Smallville
    I'd add in Themiscyra. Though perhaps that's more of a location than a city?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'd add in Themiscyra. Though perhaps that's more of a location than a city?
    And the Rock of Eternity.

Gateway City too if you read the companion novel

Nightwing put Bludhaven on the map. I like Bludhaven in Nightwing but haven't really read much about it in other series.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Nightwing put Bludhaven on the map. I like Bludhaven in Nightwing but haven't really read much about it in other series.
    Did it get Chemo'd or somesuch?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    In Infinite Crisis. It was part of Didio's scorched earth attempt to get rid of Dick Grayson so that Jason Todd would become the "new" Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    But it got better . . .

BANNED

My controversial opinion: the DC Comics universe is the greatest comic book universe and one of the greatest fictional universes of the last century. If its owners and operators truly understood this and truly cared, they would never run out of material to adapt to other media. Instead, they but all of their eggs in the Bat-Basket and will never fully realize the potential of the "properties" they own.