Page 294 of 334 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 5006

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Because any Flash level Leaguer can do stealth better using speed alone (based PreFlashpoint/Stupid 52 versions). Martian Manhunter has a multitude of ways he can stealth better. GLs have a ring that allows them to stealth better. All of their methods have fewer or no flaws/means of detection.
    Oh plenty of the Leaguers can be stealthy as hell when they want to be. J'onn especially. But it's not just "how stealthy can they be?" it's "why are they being stealthy in the first place?" Maybe a Leaguer has to be sneaky because the League needs to get intel out of a guy. Maybe they need to crack into a computer without anyone knowing. For the first goal, you'd send J'onn; he can sneak in, read the guy's mind, and be gone. For the second goal you'd send Bruce because he's better with computers.

There's also the matter of what kind of detection they're avoiding. Pressure plates in the floor? Thermal sensors? Atmospheric sensors? Motion sensors? Magical wards? Different methods would rule out different Leaguers.

And what other goals does the team need to meet? While someone's being sneaky somewhere, is there some trick that requires a telepath or shapeshifter elsewhere? Or someone to evacuate civilians? Or whatever?

It doesn't matter if the Leaguer is the only person capable of doing a thing or the one who does it best, you just find a cool thing for them to do and then write a reason for them to do it, and if necessary a reason why it's *them* doing it instead of someone else. If they're the best at doing the cool thing then great, you can really amp that scene up and push the boundaries. But it's not required. All that matters is that everyone on the League (or at least everyone in that issue and story) has a cool thing to do, usually one that leans into their strengths as a character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Because any Flash level Leaguer can do stealth better using speed alone (based PreFlashpoint/Stupid 52 versions). Martian Manhunter has a multitude of ways he can stealth better. GLs have a ring that allows them to stealth better. All of their methods have fewer or no flaws/means of detection.
    Being able to move fast and being able to move stealthily are not the same thing. Martian Manhunter's powers are good for staying inconspicuous. Generating sonic booms and lightning flashes when you run or having a ring that makes big, green, glowing objects, not so much. And this applies to pre Flashpoint.

I think it's stupid and annoying for people to use the word jobber

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think it's stupid and annoying for people to use the word jobber
    I think the term itself is valid but people tend to overuse it when their favorite characters don't get their way.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Being able to move fast and being able to move stealthily are not the same thing. Martian Manhunter's powers are good for staying inconspicuous. Generating sonic booms and lightning flashes when you run or having a ring that makes big, green, glowing objects, not so much. And this applies to pre Flashpoint.
    That is true but using your superspeed to remain invisible while surveiling multiple targets around the world is a pretty convincing example of how superspeed can be used to be inconspicuous. Only a handful of the heroes can do that

My controversial opinion today is that Batman 's build in the new movie is perfect. I do not see Bruce nor Clark as being uber Hulk like in musculature.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    When fans whine about "Silver Age fans running the asylum and writing to their nostalgia" what they are actually whining about is writers were using nostalgia that does not cater to them. And the disingenuous nature of it shows through when writers appeal to their nostalgia and suddenly nostalgia isn't as bad as they say.
    Counter-view: nostalgia is never as good as we think it is, thus why catering to nostalgia is so often a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Counter-view: nostalgia is never as good as we think it is, thus why catering to nostalgia is so often a disappointment.
    My point is a lot of the people who say stuff like this don't actually believe it and just say that Nostalgia is some great ill because they don't like that writers are nostalgic for things they are not.

Not saying that this is you BTW.

My point is a lot of the people who say stuff like this don't actually believe it and just say that Nostalgia is some great ill because they don't like that writers are nostalgic for things they are not.

My nostalgia is good. Anybody else's nostalgia is just stupid.

Ultimate Member

When fans whine about "Silver Age fans running the asylum and writing to their nostalgia" what they are actually whining about is writers were using nostalgia that does not cater to them. And the disingenuous nature of it shows through when writers appeal to their nostalgia and suddenly nostalgia isn't as bad as they say.
    No they are fussing about writers who want to go back to a time where certain characters were in the background and unused or underused.

Barry as Flash should NEVER mean bury or get rid of Wally West.

Same with Green Lantern, Robin and Batgirls.

Nobody needs to be erased or deemed pitch toxic.

Nor does it mean exclude or toss POC into badly done books.

THis is fiction there should be reasonable compromises.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

What can I say: I hate nostalgia. I don't see the point in writing stories where the goal is to drag things back to when you were thirteen but make it more violent and full of T&A. It's just corny to me. At worst there's a reactionary undercurrent to it that usually devolves to rants about how comics were better before the wicked LGBT, women, and POC ruined it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No they are fussing about writers who want to go back to a time where certain characters were in the background and unused or underused.

Barry as Flash should NEVER mean bury or get rid of Wally West.

Same with Green Lantern, Robin and Batgirls.

Nobody needs to be erased or deemed pitch toxic.

Nor does it mean exclude or toss POC into badly done books.

THis is fiction there should be reasonable compromises.
    No, they are definitely whining because they don't like that writers are nostalgic for things they are not. It is painfully obvious now that 90s nostalgia is more in vogue but these fans are not complaining about it. Because it is their nostalgia.

Barry was buried for a while when DC made Wally the main Flash. I didn't see Wally fans complaining then.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    What can I say: I hate nostalgia. I don't see the point in writing stories where the goal is to drag things back to when you were thirteen but make it more violent and full of T&A. It's just corny to me. At worst there's a reactionary undercurrent to it that usually devolves to rants about how comics were better before the wicked LGBT, women, and POC ruined it for everyone.
    I don't see a problem with bringing things back from the past and updating them, especially when it is characters. there is a right and wrong way to do this but when done right, it is worth it.

No, they are definitely whining because they don't like that writers are nostalgic for things they are not. It is painfully obvious now that 90s nostalgia is more in vogue but these fans are not complaining about it. Because it is their nostalgia.

Barry was buried for a while when DC made Wally the main Flash. I didn't see Wally fans complaining then.
    90s nostalgia is in vogue? Since when? If anything, it seems it's the 80s that are more popular now.

Yep.

Seen so many whine about "Silver Age nostalgia" eat up completely 90s/DCAU nostalgia without missing a step.