Page 94 of 333 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 4987

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm not into any of the DC Comics tv shows on the CW.

I watched the first two seasons of Arrow and liked them okay. Then it turned into something else. When I realized that he hadn't been on the island for five years, I lost interest. I've tried two other CW shows, but never got into them so I stopped watching after two or three eps.
    I don't think it's controversial around here that the CW DC shows are not great TV.. mediocre at best with some good moments. The writers suck.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I don't think it's controversial around here that the CW DC shows are not great TV.. mediocre at best with some good moments. The writers suck.
    Okay. well, there are several threads about them posted in the Film/TV section so I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Okay. well, there are several threads about them posted in the Film/TV section so I wasn't sure.
    well they have fans, but I notice a lot of people always complaining about the writing. I guess people like the actors and characters, so they continue watching hoping for some gems and the show to improve or give them what they want..

Retired

I stopped going to the CW show threads on the film/TV forum, because it seems like most of the posters go there to complain about the shows rather than appreciate them.

I'm so tired off all that. The CW is a smaller network, with a small budget, that serves a certain demographic. I don't like all their content--I hated the RIVERDALE pilot and never bothered with it after that, but it's highly popular with its audience. Expecting CW shows to be what you get from the movies or from the DCU service will always mean that you don't get what you want. If you don't like it fine, but leave it at that. The constant attacks on the CW shows for being the kind of animal that they need to be is unfair.

If it wasn't for COIE coming up I doubt I'd be watching all the shows right now--usually I binge them--the only show I want to follow from week to week is THE FLASH. For me that show is just good entertainment--the season long stories might not always be the best (with season 3 being my least favourite), but most of the individual episodes are fun. But even if none of the shows were serving my interest, I wouldn't hold that against the CW for following its business model.

The thing that really burns me right now is all this backlash against BATWOMAN on social media. The people attacking it are attacking it as if it was a major motion picture rather than a small series on a struggling network. And they seem to be attacking the very reason for Batwoman even existing in the Batman's world--which, if that's their issue, they should have addressed years ago when the character was first introduced--not now years and years later when Batwoman has become an established DC property.

Personally, I thought the BATWOMAN pilot episode was weak with too much exposition (especially through voiceover) and the second episode isn't that much better, with still more exposition rather than relying on the characters to relay the story through their actions. I wish they had tried to be more like BLACK LIGHTNING or ARROW in their first seasons--which both were gritty and let the mystery unfold throughout the season, rather being rushed.

But the people attacking the show aren't attacking it because of some poor execution of the pilot--they're attacking its perceived political identity. When it comes to politics, BLACK LIGHTHING is far more direct and extreme in its messaging than either SUPERGIRL or BATWOMAN--so why is it the female led shows that get all the backlash?

For all the admitted inadequacies of the CW, they have satisfied more of my DC nerd-desires than anything else in live action that I can think of. And for that they have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I stopped going to the CW show threads on the film/TV forum, because it seems like most of the posters go there to complain about the shows rather than appreciate them.

I'm so tired off all that. The CW is a smaller network, with a small budget, that serves a certain demographic. I don't like all their content--I hated the RIVERDALE pilot and never bothered with it after that, but it's highly popular with its audience. Expecting CW shows to be what you get from the movies or from the DCU service will always mean that you don't get what you want. If you don't like it fine, but leave it at that. The constant attacks on the CW shows for being the kind of animal that they need to be is unfair.

If it wasn't for COIE coming up I doubt I'd be watching all the shows right now--usually I binge them--the only show I want to follow from week to week is THE FLASH. For me that show is just good entertainment--the season long stories might not always be the best (with season 3 being my least favourite), but most of the individual episodes are fun. But even if none of the shows were serving my interest, I wouldn't hold that against the CW for following its business model.

The thing that really burns me right now is all this backlash against BATWOMAN on social media. The people attacking it are attacking it as if it was a major motion picture rather than a small series on a struggling network. And they seem to be attacking the very reason for Batwoman even existing in the Batman's world--which, if that's their issue, they should have addressed years ago when the character was first introduced--not now years and years later when Batwoman has become an established DC property.

Personally, I thought the BATWOMAN pilot episode was weak with too much exposition (especially through voiceover) and the second episode isn't that much better, with still more exposition rather than relying on the characters to relay the story through their actions. I wish they had tried to be more like BLACK LIGHTNING or ARROW in their first seasons--which both were gritty and let the mystery unfold throughout the season, rather being rushed.

But the people attacking the show aren't attacking it because of some poor execution of the pilot--they're attacking its perceived political identity. When it comes to politics, BLACK LIGHTHING is far more direct and extreme in its messaging than either SUPERGIRL or BATWOMAN--so why is it the female led shows that get all the backlash?

For all the admitted inadequacies of the CW, they have satisfied more of my DC nerd-desires than anything else in live action that I can think of. And for that they have my support.
    Welcome to what it's like to be a fan of the DCEU and the DCU streaming shows for the past years.

When it comes to politics, BLACK LIGHTHING is far more direct and extreme in its messaging than either SUPERGIRL or BATWOMAN--so why is it the female led shows that get all the backlash?
    Because some idiots still think it's 1942 and women belong in the kitchen. And online, no one knows your real name so they feel like they can be as douche-y as they want to be.

Comic fandom.....I mean, I'm here so I'm a part of fandom too, but a whole lot of people have this crazy entitlement attitude towards these characters, as if they're the gatekeepers of not only which characters can exist, but of what kind of person can enjoy them. Our community can be toxic as hell, and that goes across the political spectrum. The people on the left, the SJW's, are just as bad as the people on the extreme right these days, and everyone has an idea about what and who can be published and anyone who disagrees is clearly a monster.

>shrug<

The world we live in, amirite?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I was told that there are different watch orders for BTAS that conflict with the episode numbering. I think it would be good if there was something similar to this for comics. I can find different lists on how to watch BTAS, but I guess there are just way too many comics for such a comprehensive list to be made.

Most DC characters don't need a secret identity. Wonder Woman and the Green Lanterns shouldn't have them.

And before anyone brings up Alex DeWitt; 1) she was killed despite Kyle keeping his identity secret 2) having a proper network set up to protect civilian friends and families would have helped her immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most DC characters don't need a secret identity. Wonder Woman and the Green Lanterns shouldn't have them.

And before anyone brings up Alex DeWitt; 1) she was killed despite Kyle keeping his identity secret 2) having a proper network set up to protect civilian friends and families would have helped her immensely.
    If a GL wants to have a life outside of being Green Lantern, I think it's fine for them to have a secret identity.

Retired

I think of Diana Prince as being the real character and Wonder Woman is simply her job description--the same as Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man. I consider it monumental stupidity when the mod Diana Prince, who was openly known to the world as the Wonder Woman, was forced back into being the secret identity rather than just who she was in reality. It seems to me that the movies will have Diana Prince as her actual name and Wonder Woman will merely be what she's called in the press (I don't remember Wonder Woman being used in the movie by the other characters, she is always Diana to them).

I think of Diana Prince as being the real character and Wonder Woman is simply her job description--the same as Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man. I consider it monumental stupidity when the mod Diana Prince, who was openly known to the world as the Wonder Woman, was forced back into being the secret identity rather than just who she was in reality. It seems to me that the movies will have Diana Prince as her actual name and Wonder Woman will merely be what she's called in the press (I don't remember Wonder Woman being used in the movie by the other characters, she is always Diana to them).
    Diana Prince was a fake identity she used. It wasn't like Superman being raised as Clark Kent. She just gave herself the last name of Prince and then pretended to be someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana Prince was a fake identity she used. It wasn't like Superman being raised as Clark Kent. She just gave herself the last name of Prince and then pretended to be someone else.
    Well, actually, she didn't give herself the name originally, so much as buy it off someone who happened to also be named Diana (Prince) and look a great deal like her. Wonder Woman did come from the press. Her "real" name is just "Diana" - I mean, that's how she should think of herself.

I don't think Flash or Wonder Woman or Superman are job titles. They are public-names or personas or stage-names or whatever you want to call them. They are not really that transferable in my mind, even though they've all been canonically transferred. Green Lantern is a job title, though, but somewhat of an exception to the rule. But they also aren't the names used by the people who bear them use when dealing with people close to them or how they generally think of themselves (Batman sometimes excepted, but he has issues). They aren't personal or intimate names, names that would be used in private conversation.

Retired

Like a lot of royals, Diana doesn't have a last name per se, but most royals use a last name for convenience. That's how I see it for Diana. I guess she could call herself Diana Princess--but being a feminist, she might disagree with the semantics. Prince is derived from the Latin primus meaning the first or the foremost. And there's the equivalent Ancient Greek Πρῖγκιψ (Prinkips). DC probably can't trademark Princess Diana (nor would they want to), but I imagine they can trademark Diana Prince.

I know DC has a thing about messing with time, but I’d like to see more of Booster Gold going back in time and messing with different peoples’ histories and causing a big mess. Sort of like Legends of Tomorrow but it’s just Booster and he’s the only one aware of it. Then you can do the usual resetting the status quo thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Fans always complain we always see Lex and Zod in films, but they are fine with more Joker, Catwoman and Penguin...
    Well Penguin has only been in two movies and a couple of TV shows, and just another one of the villains in three of those so I don't see why people would complain about Penguin. Lex has been in six movies and three TV shows
    as a main character in most of them. Zod three movies and and three TV shows, again as a main character. Yes Joker is over-saturated too. But Catwoman is one of the few female villains and so she satisfies the male gaze.
    As well as ironically promoting female empowerment. Thus most people are happy to see her. And she really had only one movie where she was the main character, never was the solo villain in most iterations.