Page 277 of 333 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 4987
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Controversial opinion?

Dc can't have two Teen Teams, or if they do they need to be radically different.

Young Justice and Teen Titans do exactly the same thing and each only rose to prominence without the other.
    DC has enough teen heroes to support at least four titles: Titans, Teen Titans, Team Titans and Young Justice.

Too bad that there aren't enough readers to support two teams.

Controversial opinion?

Dc can't have two Teen Teams, or if they do they need to be radically different.

Young Justice and Teen Titans do exactly the same thing and each only rose to prominence without the other.
    I think the Team/Super Friends set up from YJ season 2 was the way to go. One team works for the league while the other doesn't is a good hook.

You could use Gen 13 or the Movement/Green Team if people remember the latter.

Young Justice the Animated Series has possibly the shittiest version of the Justice League - and most of its participating adult heroes - to hit the mainstream and be portrayed as heroic. I can forgive it mostly because the younger characters and the worldbuilding are usually pretty solid, but honestly I would be very careful taking any leads from YJ with regard to the main universe.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Young Justice the Animated Series has possibly the shittiest version of the Justice League - and most of its participating adult heroes - to hit the mainstream and be portrayed as heroic. I can forgive it mostly because the younger characters and the worldbuilding are usually pretty solid, but honestly I would be very careful taking any leads from YJ with regard to the main universe.
    The Justice League and most adult heroes have done morally ambiguous stuff for years in the comics with writers and most fans giving them a free pass. YJ's Justice League is probably the least heroic animated version, but slightly better than the comic version.

My issue with YJ is how it handles the younger characters, it has way too many of them and not enough time to focus on all of them.

My ideal comic or cartoon would have a small cast of young heroes(5-8) and less 'grey'(or what people call grey morality) JL. If the JL must be 'grey' let the young heroes call them out about it.

Controversial opinion?

Counter point: DC has so many teen heroes that creating different teams for each generation makes sense.

And having multiple teen superhero teams isn't a problem if each of them are distinct and they serve a different purpose.

The NTT/Titans were unique because they explicitly weren't 'Justice League Jr'. Trigon, Citadel, Gordanian, Brother Blood, the Titans of Myth and Deathstroke are on the same level as any threat the League has faced while at the same time having their own unique mythology. The NTT are defined by being a family and the close bond they all share.

Young Justice OTOH is meant to be a Junior Justice League and they face smaller scale threats and are a much lighter, more comedic team as opposed to the darker, older, NTT team.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Young Justice the Animated Series has possibly the shittiest version of the Justice League
    Not even close. I have no idea how anyone can believe this when Identity Crisis, Cry For Justice and Johns's New 52 JL run exist.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The Justice League and most adult heroes have done morally ambiguous stuff for years in the comics with writers and most fans giving them a free pass. YJ's Justice League is probably the least heroic animated version, but slightly better than the comic version.

My issue with YJ is how it handles the younger characters, it has way too many of them and not enough time to focus on all of them.

My ideal comic or cartoon would have a small cast of young heroes(5-8) and less 'grey'(or what people call grey morality) JL. If the JL must be 'grey' let the young heroes call them out about it.
    What is this "grey morality" the YJ League has that other versions lack? They've made mistakes, they're not Game of Thrones characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What is this "grey morality" the YJ League has that other versions lack? They've made mistakes, they're not Game of Thrones characters.
    YJ JL isn't grey, I've seen people use the grey morality excuse to justify some of the mistakes they've made. They're better than comic examples you mentioned in your previous post.

It's mostly in season 2 and 3. Those are the undercover operation and Batman's false flag triple cross in 3. But those are decisions that bite them in the ass. It's less moral ambiguity and more the JL learning they can't be true spies.

Zatanna's arc has her offer up her students as the new wielder of Fate. But that's up for debate as you could argue it both ways.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-15-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Not even close. I have no idea how anyone can believe this when Identity Crisis, Cry For Justice and Johns's New 52 JL run exist.
    This is fair. I think a big difference is that the more inconsistent continuity is in media, the easier it is to write off moments of characterization you dislike.

For example, YJ and JLU both have pretty tight timelines, YJ moreso than JLU, and the characters' screw ups either come back to haunt them, or else it's really noticeable when they don't.

By contrast, look at something like Adventures of Superman, or the Chris Reeve movies. There's an episode where George Reeves' Superman kills some crooks who discover his secret identity, in just the specific way that would convince himself and an audience of children, but nobody with a developed moral compass, that he kept his hands clean. It horrified me! But because there's really not a strong throughline from one episode to the next, I can just kind of ignore that; Superman's not a murderer in denial for the rest of the show, it's just a weird episode. Same with Chris Reeve's in Superman III - he's not the bastard who mind-wiped Lois without her consent, that was just a weird blip of bad writing.

And similarly, I find it easier to ignore Identity Crisis, just one of SO many comic JLA arcs, a hell of a lot easier to ignore than some of the League's fuckups in YJ or JLU.

So all that said, you're right; I shouldn't have ignored Identity Crisis as readily as I did.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I know certain names are iconic and have been around for decades, but for heroines that are adults DC should retire the "girl" in their names and make it woman like Marvel did with the Invisible Woman.

I know Supergirl and Batgirl might be problematic, but Hawkgirl and Powergirl should be fine.
    The J-man

Controversial opinion?

Young Justice would be fine if they embraced them as young adults rather than keeping them as teens.

The TT for actual teens (most of them aren't even 16 in canon I think?). Embrace a certain energy of youthfulness we aren't really seeing even if most of them have traumatic pasts, because those two ideas can be juxtaposed. Finding the childhoods they've lost could be very compelling even in the face of fighting supervillains, the most recent run had promise and didn't live up to it.

YJ would be the perfect vehicle to showcase that grey area between being a teen and a young adult. Yet, the last run had them acting more like the Teen Titans. And, considering most of this generation has been lost in stasis post-N52, it would hit a lot harder.

I guess my unpopular opinion is all these characters are viable, and DC just needs to be more thoughtful about how they're being handled.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I know certain names are iconic and have been around for decades, but for heroines that are adults DC should retire the "girl" in their names and make it woman like Marvel did with the Invisible Woman.

I know Supergirl and Batgirl might be problematic, but Hawkgirl and Powergirl should be fine.
    Agreed with some. Hawkgirl has no reason for being Hawkgirl at this point and Hawkwoman has been used before.

There's overlap between Batgirl and Batwoman but DC is, for now, embracing the three major Batgirls, two of which are still young enough to carry the mantle. Barbara feels a lot younger with it but I'm not sure how far they'll go with this Oracle comeback (which I prefer for her anyway).

Supergirl is still a teen, right?
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Young Justice would be fine if they embraced them as young adults rather than keeping them as teens.

The TT for actual teens (most of them aren't even 16 in canon I think?). Embrace a certain energy of youthfulness we aren't really seeing even if most of them have traumatic pasts, because those two ideas can be juxtaposed. Finding the childhoods they've lost could be very compelling even in the face of fighting supervillains, the most recent run had promise and didn't live up to it.

YJ would be the perfect vehicle to showcase that grey area between being a teen and a young adult. Yet, the last run had them acting more like the Teen Titans. And, considering most of this generation has been lost in stasis post-N52, it would hit a lot harder.

I guess my unpopular opinion is all these characters are viable, and DC just needs to be more thoughtful about how they're being handled.
    Well, right now Dick and Jason, and their entire generation are all young adults, so aging the YJ wouldn't really add a new niche to the DCU, as there are already so many active heroes in this age range.