Page 189 of 333 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 4987
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Zatanna should be bi or pan like Constantine and Nick Necro.
    While I don't really agree, my god the Constantine relationship has got to go.

Speaking as someone who is apathetic to Hal Jordan, I think the way certain fans wear their hatred of him like some badge of honor has gotten pretty obnoxious. Especially since there's no reason why DC can't focus on more than one Green Lantern at a time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Speaking as someone who is apathetic to Hal Jordan, I think the way certain fans wear their hatred of him like some badge of honor has gotten pretty obnoxious. Especially since there's no reason why DC can't focus on more than one Green Lantern at a time.
    That is why they wear it as a badge. DC has chosen to fan those flames.

Before Hal went nuts we had him, John and Guy with books. Editorial took out John and later Hal.

Kyle was in charge for 10 years.

Then we had Green Lantern and GLC.

At one point we saw Hal, Sinestro, GLC, Lafreeze, White Lanterns & Red Lanterns with books.

Then we saw Jessica & Simon lead a book and Hal had the other one. Then came Far Sector. All sold decent to well.

At varies times this franchise has shown it can expand.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Before Hal went nuts we had him, John and Guy with books. Editorial took out John and later Hal.

At one point we saw Hal, Sinestro, GLC, Lafreeze, White Lanterns & Red Lanterns with books.

Then we saw Jessica & Simon lead a book and Hal had the other one. Then came Far Sector. All sold decent to well.

You forgot Emerald Warriors with Guy and Arisia.

Also there was Ion, which was a 12 part miniseries with Kyle.

Some of these anti-Hal fans are just as solo Lantern focused as the more extreme Hal fans are. Remember that when Kyle was in charge, he was the only GL for ten years. His fans had no issue with a solo Lantern being focused on. Johns actually brought the Corps back.

Either way, you'll see ugliness from all sides of the fandom.

Ultimate Member

Some of these anti-Hal fans are just as solo Lantern focused as the more extreme Hal fans are. Remember that when Kyle was in charge, he was the only GL for ten years. His fans had no issue with a solo Lantern being focused on. Johns actually brought the Corps back.

I remember HATE. Ugliness? Sorry we haven't seen that YET. This is the calm before the Hurricane Katrina and her kinfolks show up.

That book will get PICKED apart for ammo to attack the writer and artist.

I remember HATE. Ugliness? Sorry we haven't seen that YET. This is the calm before the Hurricane Katrina and her kinfolks show up.

That book will get PICKED apart for ammo to attack the writer and artist.
    When a creator shows that much of their own personal toxicity for a character in a franchise they are about to work on they shouldn't be too surprised if fans react the way we're seeing, and will see.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Fantastic Member

My possibly controversial opinion is that while all the main GL's (Alan, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Jessica, Simon) should have a book that focuses on them as a or THE main character, one GL should absolutely be pushed as the face of the franchise.

Also, the GL that's the star of the flagship GL book should also be the GL that stars in the flagship Justice League title.

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    When a creator shows that much of their own personal toxicity for a character in a franchise they are about to work on they shouldn't be too surprised if fans react the way we're seeing, and will see.
    I'm sorry, but with all due respect (and I meant that), you're not helping either. You never even brought up his clarifying comments on CBR when you said:

I’m sure it will be John. The writer has publicly expressed hatred of and bias against Hal, and no interest in anyone but John.

on a different website forum. And you said that right after you listened to what he had to say and invited him to your podcast. It's beyond me on why you left out his comments in that forum, which was an important piece. There's no reason to not be more transparent, unless someone just wants to add more fuel to the fire, because they have some kind of agenda. That's the impression that I got when I saw that.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-08-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes, some Hal fans can be very extreme, but the same can be said about any fanbase. Most other Lantern fans I imagine would be fine with their favorite being the solo lead and not spare much thought to any of the others, not just Hal. It's just human nature.

I also imagine some of them would go ballistic if Morrison or a Hal writer bashed their favorite on social media. We've already seen Johns get some heat for downplaying or sidelining John despite him maybe just not being interested in using him. Which would be no different than Thorne in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
    "personal toxicity" LOL ok jan. if there were ever a way to lose credibility it's this quote right here. there is over blowing a situation and then there's not being a serious person. you and the person who got all up in arms and collected those tweets in the first place are not serious people. like I said earlier, Thorne's EGREGIOUS sin was not worshiping at the altar of Hal Jordan and voicing that (as a fan) rather than us having to infer it from his treatment of his characters or a candid interview years later like other writer.

The people that are going to outrage skip this book over these Hal Jordan tweets are people who were looking for an excuse to not read a John (or any human non-Hal Lantern) story anyway. it's a non-issue. Even people who are Hal fans on this site have said it gives them pause but they'll try the story out. John fans, GL fans who love all Lanterns, and the general public are not going to care; the GL readership is bigger than Hal Jordan. implying a writer "toxic" because he doesn't like a character or has a preference in an ensemble franchise is intellectually dishonest and, honestly, just kinda dickish.

smh "personal toxicity" what a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, some Hal fans can be very extreme, but the same can be said about any fanbase. Most other Lantern fans I imagine would be fine with their favorite being the solo lead and not spare much thought to any of the others, not just Hal. It's just human nature.

I also imagine some of them would go ballistic if Morrison or a Hal writer bashed their favorite on social media. We've already seen Johns get some heat for downplaying or sidelining John despite him maybe just not being interested in using him. Which would be no different than Thorne in this case.
    I needed to quote and bold this for emphasis.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-08-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The people that are going to outrage skip this book over these Hal Jordan tweets are people who were looking for an excuse to not read a John (or any human non-Hal Lantern) story anyway.
    I completely disagree. People may be unhappy with their fave (or just a character they like) being handled by something they think hates them and will diminish them and skip out on reading because of that. No "excuse" about John needed. It's a very valid reason not to read a title. There are certainly writers that I will not read writing certain characters, and it has nothing at all to do with any other character.

I like that there are different versions of Superman running around at the same time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I like that there are different versions of Superman running around at the same time.
    What do you mean?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I completely disagree. People may be unhappy with their fave (or just a character they like) being handled by something they think hates them and will diminish them and skip out on reading because of that. No "excuse" about John needed. It's a very valid reason not to read a title. There are certainly writers that I will not read writing certain characters, and it has nothing at all to do with any other character.
    Funny when some John fans chose to NOT read Hal Jordan & TGCL-guess whose fans (and even some who were NOT) came attacking John fans. For not being "real" fans.

What IRKS me is there are far few folks saying " I am not interested in the book" and that is the END of it.

It's the CHEAP shots that come after that. That tend to be degrading to POC.

And when the book FAILS-guess who is the FIRST to celebrate. And no matter HOW many folks who read the book state how bad it was-they don't care. Because they were never going to read it.

They just hated the fact the book was made. That is the group I am talking about.