Page 185 of 333 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 4988
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm curious exactly how controversial it is both inside and outside of GL fandom, but I found Hal's journey into villainy quite compelling. The source of his grief and conflict with the corps - the destruction and attempted resurrection of Coast City - was very human. And the ring was used in such an interesting way - manifesting the desires of someone who experienced shocking loss and trauma.

That isn't to say that I regret his return, even with the parallax retcon. But I find this a thrilling chapter in DC history that I think would play out brilliantly in a well-directed film (even if just an animated one). Because sure, we have plenty of anti-heroes and anti-villains, but how often does a bona fide legendary hero go truly bad? The sheer boldness of having a founding JL member becoming a villain...in almost any other similar scenario I can think of, I'd find it a cheap stunt. But there's just something about willpower gone wrong that really appeals to me.

Now I'm fully aware that I can't fully grasp the consequences of this decision as A) I'm not a hardcore Hal Jordan fan, or even a particularly strong GL fan, and B) I started reading comics just as Hal was making his big comeback, having already accepted this incident as ancient history. I can't imagine what it was like reading it unfold.

I'm curious if any Hal fans, once Johns reestablished him as the premier Lantern, were able to look back on the story with a more forgiving lens now that it had been undone. (I imagine I might feel similarly about Reverse Flash killing Nora Allen in Rebirth, should that ever be put right.) And how people feel about the subject in general.
    It's a really interesting idea with a ton of potential, and Parallax could have been one of the best DC villains ever. His name is cool, his visual is very strong, and his motivation is pretty compelling, but the execution of the whole thing was bad. If you're going to do that to a hero, there had better be a believable story behind it with a lot of build up and foreshadowing. With Hal Jordan, DC pulled something out of a hat all of a sudden in desperation to boost sales with shock value. It was rushed, it was sloppy, and it was unconvincing. I think that's a shame, because, as I mentioned, Parallax could have been much, MUCH better, and I wish he was.

Not sure this is controversial but the Darkforce Dimension should be a link for the Marvel and DC world. Nightshade and Darkstar can basically do the same thing by accessing a pitch black dimension.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They've been around for decades. Superman and Lois are still around. Zatara the Magician was used for a time before his death. Tigress was used in the Silver Age and married Sportsmaster.
    I am referring to people like Chuck Dawson and Sticky Mitt Stimson in this case.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I liked New 52's Earth 2. I wish it was still going.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    I liked New 52's Earth 2. I wish it was still going.
    In concept, it had much to recommend it. Except for the part where GL and Batman got a pass on the reset, it's what Crisis should have done in 1986 (well, they should have left it alone and just put that Post-Crisis talent to work on better stories, but if they were going to blow it up, don't spare the dynamite).

In execution...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm curious exactly how controversial it is both inside and outside of GL fandom, but I found Hal's journey into villainy quite compelling. The source of his grief and conflict with the corps - the destruction and attempted resurrection of Coast City - was very human. And the ring was used in such an interesting way - manifesting the desires of someone who experienced shocking loss and trauma.

That isn't to say that I regret his return, even with the parallax retcon. But I find this a thrilling chapter in DC history that I think would play out brilliantly in a well-directed film (even if just an animated one). Because sure, we have plenty of anti-heroes and anti-villains, but how often does a bona fide legendary hero go truly bad? The sheer boldness of having a founding JL member becoming a villain...in almost any other similar scenario I can think of, I'd find it a cheap stunt. But there's just something about willpower gone wrong that really appeals to me.

Now I'm fully aware that I can't fully grasp the consequences of this decision as A) I'm not a hardcore Hal Jordan fan, or even a particularly strong GL fan, and B) I started reading comics just as Hal was making his big comeback, having already accepted this incident as ancient history. I can't imagine what it was like reading it unfold.

I'm curious if any Hal fans, once Johns reestablished him as the premier Lantern, were able to look back on the story with a more forgiving lens now that it had been undone. (I imagine I might feel similarly about Reverse Flash killing Nora Allen in Rebirth, should that ever be put right.) And how people feel about the subject in general.
    The whole Paralax saga was the first thing of Hal's I read so I loved it, I didn't really care about the giant space roach thing but overall it's one of my favorite arcs in comic books.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I am referring to people like Chuck Dawson and Sticky Mitt Stimson in this case.
    You didn't specify. Still other things from Action Comics are used.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-18-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Speaking as someone who isn't really a Hal fan, I have to ask; would you have liked the Parallax idea if it was a character you liked as a hero?

Speaking as someone who isn't really a Hal fan, I have to ask; would you have liked the Parallax idea if it was a character you liked as a hero?
    That's good question i'm not too sure to be honest with you, the idea of a Parallax Superman (which we kinda already had) or Barry is terrifying. I have no qualms with a character I like turning evil because I know in the back of mind status quo is going to reset.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That's good question i'm not too sure to be honest with you, the idea of a Parallax Superman (which we kinda already had) or Barry is terrifying. I have no qualms with a character I like turning evil because I know in the back of mind status quo is going to reset.
    I'm on the reverse side - I dislike any hero, even one I don't care about, going evil. It's diminishing a hero, making them less. I'm into superheroes because I love good triumphing over evil (sadly less and less common in comics), and this isn't that. I think the return of status quo makes it meaningless, but I still prefer meaningless and swept under the rug to evil triumphing. And, generally speaking, it comes out of nowhere over a short period of time and is wildly out of character with all previous actions (and that matters to me), and done just for shock value, and I'm not into that either. Minus even more points if they kill other heroes along the way or perpetuate city or planet-wide murder/destruction (something else I'm more than tired of, but also, when that much death is involved, it's another win for evil and I don't like that).

You didn't specify.
    I said the other things from Action Comics 1.

Extraordinary Member

Zatanna is the legacy of Zatara so there’s that.

I would rather have Zatara, but yeah they have done a good job keeping him around. Besides him, though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm on the reverse side - I dislike any hero, even one I don't care about, going evil. It's diminishing a hero, making them less. I'm into superheroes because I love good triumphing over evil
    Agree completely.

That was a main reason I stopped reading super hero comics - too many heroes going to that gray or dark area.

I read the first collection of Injustice because it was recommended to me. It sickened me. Never again.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In concept, it had much to recommend it. Except for the part where GL and Batman got a pass on the reset, it's what Crisis should have done in 1986 (well, they should have left it alone and just put that Post-Crisis talent to work on better stories, but if they were going to blow it up, don't spare the dynamite).

In execution...?
    I was talking about New 52's Earth 2 series. Not the new 52 overall.