Page 81 of 333 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 4987
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The Flash's very existence disproves the notion that a hero can be too powerful to create convincing villains for regularly. Every time I hear someone say "Superman is too powerful to relate to or challenge I bring up two characters.

Flash and Goku from Dragonball Z

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really don't like those scratchy speech bubbles that Scott Snyder has foisted onto Joker now that every book he appears in has to use.

It fits with Snyder's Joker because Snyder treats his Joker as like the literal devil or some kind of demon, but it gets kind of ridiculous when he has those speech bubbles for a small appearance in Harley Quinn or whatever.
    Totally agree. Glad I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way.

Scott Snyder's stories have become so grandiose, bloated, and exposition/narration box filled that they are usually boring and VERY difficult to get through.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-15-2019 at 08:30 PM.

I really don't like those scratchy speech bubbles that Scott Snyder has foisted onto Joker now that every book he appears in has to use.
    You know what? How's this for controversial; I actually think they should do that sort of thing a little bit more.

The Joker speech bubbles....yeah, that font and style's definitely not for everyone, but I do like the idea behind it; of using the unique visual tools of this medium to provide a enriched voice for their characters. I wonder who started that?

I'd like to see a tiny bit more of that. I want Superman's dialogue to have a different font than Clark Kent's. I want Black Canary, with her awesome vocal powers, to have a little zing in her speech bubbles, just to help get across the idea of her voice being her superpower; and maybe as Dinah alters her voice you can alter the font as well. Darkseid should have his own font; I'd even go so far as to suggest creating a brand new one that is unique to his dialogue alone.

I also enjoy it when a little art is put on the speech bubbles themselves. When a devil or demon or some other hell-bound thing has a little flame drawn into it's speech bubble it just makes me smile. Or when there's some color in the bubble, like how Neron's speech is always colored green.

And I don't care how insensitive it is or whether it's harder to read, I liked it when a character's accent was written into their dialogue with bad phonetic spelling.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The reason BTAS Joker is considered the best version is very simple. Well beyond Mark Hammils masterful voice acting.

He's variable.

Silver age jokers a weird goofball who whilst commiting the odd murder, is more likely to steal a pun based item from a museum. Bronze age onwards jokers just become a clown thened serial killer and not a particularly finnyone either. We've now reached a level where he's a justice leauge threat at times despite JUST BEING A CRAZY MAN

BTAS though is able to do both. One day he can steal a boatload of knockoff joy buzzers because it amuses him and the next he can assasinate a high ranking gothamite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know what? How's this for controversial; I actually think they should do that sort of thing a little bit more.

The Joker speech bubbles....yeah, that font and style's definitely not for everyone, but I do like the idea behind it; of using the unique visual tools of this medium to provide a enriched voice for their characters. I wonder who started that?
    I don't think he needs it though, unless we're thinking he doesn't sound like Mark Hamill anymore.
    I'd like to see a tiny bit more of that. I want Superman's dialogue to have a different font than Clark Kent's. I want Black Canary, with her awesome vocal powers, to have a little zing in her speech bubbles, just to help get across the idea of her voice being her superpower; and maybe as Dinah alters her voice you can alter the font as well. Darkseid should have his own font; I'd even go so far as to suggest creating a brand new one that is unique to his dialogue alone.
    I could swear Darkseid had his own font at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The reason BTAS Joker is considered the best version is very simple. Well beyond Mark Hammils masterful voice acting.

He's variable.

Silver age jokers a weird goofball who whilst commiting the odd murder, is more likely to steal a pun based item from a museum. Bronze age onwards jokers just become a clown thened serial killer and not a particularly finnyone either. We've now reached a level where he's a justice leauge threat at times despite JUST BEING A CRAZY MAN

BTAS though is able to do both. One day he can steal a boatload of knockoff joy buzzers because it amuses him and the next he can assasinate a high ranking gothamite.
    This is like my main issue with current Joker. He just feels less versatile and interesting because he's been pigenholed or stuck in this characterization of demonic clown killer guy.

Arkham Joker felt like the best modern take on Joker I've seen in a while and he was in the exact same vein as B:TAS Joker (and was also voiced by Hamill). He felt like a good condensing of all of Joker's best traits and could embody all of them in a way that was true to the character without going overboard.

Grant Morrison is an awful lot like Joss Whedon and Chris Claremont. A guy who might have been progressive in the 80s/90s but who's work does not always age very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Grant Morrison is an awful lot like Joss Whedon and Chris Claremont. A guy who might have been progressive in the 80s/90s but who's work does not always age very well.
    Can’t agree at all. His Doom Patrol is still the gold standard, so much so that it informed the excellent TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t agree at all. His Doom Patrol is still the gold standard, so much so that it informed the excellent TV show.
    I did say it hasn't always aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I did say it hasn't always aged well.
    I will say that Morrison’s refusal to use the Internet does mean that I think he’s slowly drifting out of touch, but that hasn’t hurt my enjoyment of TGL. It does mean I’d be leery of reading a “topical” work in this day and age by him.

Retired

I think the reason so many movies and TV shows gravitate toward period pieces is because it's a lot harder to tell a story set in the current climate where everyone lives on their devices and doesn't actually have a life in the real world. How do you represent that on film? SEARCHING took a good stab at it, but the movie had to have a pretty standard plot to make it work in a way that the viewer could easily follow. Or maybe a high-tech science fiction horror movie like HARDCORE HENRY can exploit the technological reality we're in now. It just seems a lot easier, in a movie where you want the actors to interact in real space, if you take modern technology out of the equation.

I don't think he needs it though, unless we're thinking he doesn't sound like Mark Hamill anymore.

I could swear Darkseid had his own font at some point.
    I'm not saying it's something Joker *specifically* should have (though I'm not bothered by it either), I just mean in the general sense of some characters having a particular font or other dialogue quirk that sets them apart. Like, you can take a random line of dialogue from Rogue and know who's speaking just from the way the accent is handled. Joker's current weird-ass font gets the same thing across; even without seeing who's speaking you know that's Joker.

And I dunno if Darkseid ever had his own font, but I do seem to vaguely recall some form of gothic font being used for him (or maybe just in caption boxes?) or something. If he *did* have his own unique font, that should return.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not saying it's something Joker *specifically* should have (though I'm not bothered by it either), I just mean in the general sense of some characters having a particular font or other dialogue quirk that sets them apart. Like, you can take a random line of dialogue from Rogue and know who's speaking just from the way the accent is handled. Joker's current weird-ass font gets the same thing across; even without seeing who's speaking you know that's Joker.

And I dunno if Darkseid ever had his own font, but I do seem to vaguely recall some form of gothic font being used for him (or maybe just in caption boxes?) or something. If he *did* have his own unique font, that should return.
    I always liked Ghost Rider's creepy bubbles and even Thor's unique font to give him a more 'noble' looking speech.

As for Joker? He's been punched in the throat so many times he probably SHOULDN'T sound like Hammill anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, it's my personal experience. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I've encountered enough people who are against any "old" movie, tv show or comic book. And I don't hang with movie/entertainment executives.
    ACTING! She's Kate Bosworth playing Margot Kidder playing Lois Lane. Funny thing is, when SUPERMAN (1978) came out, I thought she looked too old for the part (nowadays I don't feel that way) and I knew that Kidder was older than Reeve. So maybe if you average them out, between Kate and Margot, Lois is about the right age in the end.

Then there's Amy Adams, who should be too old for the part opposite Cavill. But I just have to think of her as "Hot Girl" from THE OFFICE and then I'm okay with the age difference.

It's like Jennifer Lawrence in SILVER LINING'S PLAYBOOK--no way is she old enough for that character--but it's ACTING! It's like all those plays from high school, where fifteen year old kids were playing people in their forties. The actual age of the actor is not the same as the age of the character. Otherwise Judd Hirsch would be forced to play men in their eighties instead of men in their sixties and seventies.
    Then I would say it is a LACK of Acting. For the original movies to take place and then get a 5 year gap, Lois should have been in her early to mid 30's at the earliest to be as celebrated as her character is meant to be. Kate Bosworth did NOT get that across. She was 23 and looked and acted closer to 18 while dragging around Superman's 5 year old kid... and it didn't work. For that plot you can't just take the character as it is on the page, but you're portraying her past as well. The movie starts up with all this other stuff already happened and the actress didn't portray that at all.

There was a lot of things about Superman Returns that I actually loved. Spacey as Lex Luthor was awesome. Routh did a great job. The Jet crash scene is possibly my favorite live action Superman scene yet... but the bad outweighed the good. I HATED the Super-kid concept, Lois with Richard, and Bosworth's performance/casting. I've seen her do well in other stuff... but not here. the whole kid sub-plot ruined that movie for me.

Well, it's my personal experience. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I've encountered enough people who are against any "old" movie, tv show or comic book. And I don't hang with movie/entertainment executives.
    I've seen simiarl… but I've also seen very different. Kids don't seem to always check the date on the video when I put it in the machine. They loved the old Superman movies (all 4) because they hadn't seen anything like it before. They loved the Adam West Batman series when they found it... 60 years old? who cares!! It was new to them.

I see something similar on a Facebook group about loving 80's things. Lots of post talking about how awesome XXXXX is only to have 20 people jump on and say 'Ummm yeah, that's from the 70's or 60's... But I can see where they're coming from. XXXXX was aired on TV in the 80's and that's where I first saw it as a kid too... So actual age is less important than when you encountered it.

Superman... is literally the MOST told origin story in society. He NEVER needs to be retold again. Between everything from Comics to tv to cartoons, to even Coloring books... This story is easily accessible. Someone like Shazam or Captain Marvel or Doctor Strange? They're a bit more obscure and only the fans know the details... but Alien shot from a dying planet and raised on earth to be the best good guy ever... Everyone knows that one, or it can mentioned in a couple of lines. We don't need to see Jor-el and Krypton anymore.

I do have to say one of my highlights of my life was watching fireworks with my nephews and having the 5 year old lean over and say "that one looked like Superman's Planet...."