Page 205 of 332 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255305 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 4968

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hot take: the Creeper has more potential than The Joker these days.

You're asking comic fans to look at the current line-up of books and make an informed decision based on them to find material they like from the universe they love instead of just bitching that DC hasn't been serving the same flavor they got hooked on (even though it existing meant the reader before them's flavor got discontinued)?

Are you new?
    Nope I’ve been here a while, that’s why I know that I’ve seen people be angry or dismissive when it comes to certain comics. But I view comics as a hobby for a sense of enjoyment and that it’s almost sad to see people not be happy, and that maybe people can actually have more fun if they decide to live in the moment and enjoy what they have instead of being upset for years of something that hasn’t come.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Of course.

The Creeper has a distinct personality, motives, origin, and goals. The Joker doesn't have any of that. He changes rapidly from one issue to another because he's craazzzzzy.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Nope I’ve been here a while, that’s why I know that I’ve seen people be angry or dismissive when it comes to certain comics. But I view comics as a hobby for a sense of enjoyment and that it’s almost sad to see people not be happy, and that maybe people can actually have more fun if they decide to live in the moment and enjoy what they have instead of being upset for years of something that hasn’t come.
    I thought it was clear that was a joke, but I guess I should have put an emoji on it.

I thought it was clear that was a joke, but I guess I should have put an emoji on it.
    Oh sorry, hard to tell in text.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

You're asking comic fans to look at the current line-up of books and make an informed decision based on them to find material they like from the universe they love instead of just bitching that DC hasn't been serving the same flavor they got hooked on (even though it existing meant the reader before them's flavor got discontinued)?

Are you new?
    How does bitching about stuff we don't like exclude us from making informed decisions - I'm perfectly capable of doing both at the same time.

And it's not just about DC "not serving the same flavor" but about not liking the new flavor. Just like being old doesn't make something good, but neither does being new. Sometimes we don't dislike things because they are new, but just because we dislike them. Grimdark and heroes acting crappily to people they are supposed to care about are over 30 years old as a heavy flavor in DC (and comic in general), and I still dislike that.

And you talk about the "universe they love" but when it becomes 10% stuff they love, 5% stuff they like, 30% stuff they hate, and 55% they are indifferent about, do they love it anymore? That's an issue for me.

And I strongly disagree with the notion of a praise-only board or not sharing negative opinions or really anything else of that nature where you can only be here if you love it or only talk about the good parts.

But then, I also signed up on this board specifically because it was only place I found to discuss older stuff (which is what I started with when I started DC in 2015/2016).

I've freely acknowledged many times that what's good for DC is not necessarily what's good for me. I still want to talk about what I like and dislike moreso than what's good for DC. Though I do occasionally comment on that, I'm really not here for a discussion on business, but on my own entertainment.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 05-08-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Ok, here is a really hot take: Dick Grayson/Nightwing as the 'natural leader of the DCU whom every hero would follow into battle without question' is a bunch of horseshit. It's pure fanboy wanking.

Now, Dick Grayson is someone who can organize a group of disparate heroes into an efficient fighting force but they are people whom he knows and trusts like family members and people who trust him by association. He is not Captain America. Dick's main success is in surpassing his mentor and succeeding in areas where Bruce lacks; he is more open emotionally, more empathetic, less of a control freak and more trusting of people. He is a natural leader and can take charge when necessary but he is not a symbol of inspiration whom everybody knows and follows like Cap is.

I think giving Lobo a daughter was a missed opportunity to give his character a bit more depth. He's pretty much been the same character since day one, no development at all.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I think giving Lobo a daughter was a missed opportunity to give his character a bit more depth. He's pretty much been the same character since day one, no development at all.
    Lobo is one of those that really doesn't need character development.

Agreed. I mean Atomicskull isn't wrong; Crush was a great chance to elevate and develop Lobo's character.

But do we really *want* that? Do we really want Lobo to be more than the crazy, hilariously murderous caricature that he is?

I say thee nay! Lobo works perfectly as what he is; a satire. Trying to make him deeper than that is folly.

But we do have that Lobo-Crush mini coming up right? Maybe Lobo will get another chance to grow as a person.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

YES

Because what we are seeing now is nothing but toxic behavior.

Redjack does NOT deserve death threats over Green Lantern because John Stewart is the lead. And folks screaming it's okay to NOT read the book because they want to read about Hal or Kyle or Jessica. Yet had ZERO issue lecturing John Stewart fans that they were NOT real fans because they did not buy Hal Jordan and TGLC because they were TOLD by the artist it was a Hal book.

We have had how many guys toss on that Batsuit and vary few or no complaints were thrown to them. Yet Jace Fox shows up and everybody is screaming Bruce Wayne is the ONLY Batman. Where was that with Jim, Jean Paul, Terry, Dick and Thomas Wayne?

We have had HOW MANY Cap Americas? Yet a book about folks INSPIRED by Steve Rodgers not taking over for Steve-have all those artist being harassed especially the one for Nichelle Wright.

Folks are getting fed up with books that are NOT Batman or X-Men or one of the icons getting attacked for existing. With fans and even folks of certain races or sexual identity being told they are NOT welcomed or they don't matter.

A Lobo & Crush or Shilo Norman books is NOT the reason why Hal or JSA don't have books.

That starts at the feet of those who are in editorial.

Who need to be asked some serious questions.

A Round Robin has to be done for JLQ. WHY? Boom Studios has not had trouble tossing out LGBTQA content. One just ended after 70 issues. Two were done by the current Batman writer and one by Miles Morales's writer.

Harley, Robins, Kyle, Superman and Zantana??? Those books would be done before sniffing below 20k.

I could understand Ambush Bug, DV8, Power Girl (either one), Calvin Eliis and a revamped Kobalt o Xombi. Not former sellers.

Put the blame or pressure on those who greenlight not the fans of the characters getting shots.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How does bitching about stuff we don't like exclude us from making informed decisions - I'm perfectly capable of doing both at the same time.

And it's not just about DC "not serving the same flavor" but about not liking the new flavor. Just like being old doesn't make something good, but neither does being new. Sometimes we don't dislike things because they are new, but just because we dislike them. Grimdark and heroes acting crappily to people they are supposed to care about are over 30 years old as a heavy flavor in DC (and comic in general), and I still dislike that.

And you talk about the "universe they love" but when it becomes 10% stuff they love, 5% stuff they like, 30% stuff they hate, and 55% they are indifferent about, do they love it anymore? That's an issue for me.

And I strongly disagree with the notion of a praise-only board or not sharing negative opinions or really anything else of that nature where you can only be here if you love it or only talk about the good parts.

But then, I also signed up on this board specifically because it was only place I found to discuss older stuff (which is what I started with when I started DC in 2015/2016).

I've freely acknowledged many times that what's good for DC is not necessarily what's good for me. I still want to talk about what I like and dislike moreso than what's good for DC. Though I do occasionally comment on that, I'm really not here for a discussion on business, but on my own entertainment.
    This is why we can't have nice things. You guys can't even take a self-effacing joke about how pedantic we can be as fans. Anyone who has seen my posts can see how critical I've been of DC's output at times.

But we also act like our reading experience is the only one that matters when we're just one phase of something designed to continue and exist as it did for us for new readers.

The very demand for Bruce Wayne to get old is a joke when the people asking got to grow up on then-modern Bruce stories and are demanding future readers are deprived of the experience that got themselves into comics.

The same way most readers don't want to go back to old stories and yet expect future readers to do so to encounter the rich characters we had-- characters we only experienced because the cycle allowed it.

It's selfish.

But all of you are right. We should do nothing but whine about the books we don't have instead of actually looking at the books published, finding ones that are interesting and reading them.

I want a Green Arrow/Black Canary book. I want JSA. I want Power Girl. I want Aquaman. I want a lot of books not published but that's not happening. Blue and Gold is and that's cool. I love the DCU so while Hawkman isn't in publication right now, hey, Nightwing is back. It's always been this way. Look back to your favorite era of DC-- lots of great IP were taking a nap.

They will never publish everyone's favorite characters, but the way this board acts that's tantamount to war crimes.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-08-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    He is not Captain America. Dick's main success is in surpassing his mentor and succeeding in areas where Bruce lacks; he is more open emotionally, more empathetic, less of a control freak and more trusting of people. He is a natural leader and can take charge when necessary but he is not a symbol of inspiration whom everybody knows and follows like Cap is.
    That's debatable imo. There are runs where Dick in acting very Batman like, for example Outsiders but iirc also at certain parts of NTT (stuff like him kicking Danny Chase of the team for example).

If you compare the actual stories, I would claim that Jason is actually the nicest team leader.

This is why we can't have nice things. You guys can't even take a self-effacing joke about how pedantic we can be as fans. Anyone who has seen my posts can see how critical I've been of DC's output at times.

But we also act like our reading experience is the only one that matters when we're just one phase of something designed to continue and exist as it did for us for new readers.

The very demand for Bruce Wayne to get old is a joke when the people asking got to grow up on then-modern Bruce stories and are demanding future readers are deprived of the experience that got themselves into comics.

The same way most readers don't want to go back to old stories and yet expect future readers to do so to encounter the rich characters we had-- characters we only experienced because the cycle allowed it.

It's selfish.

But all of you are right. We should do nothing but whine about the books we don't have instead of actually looking at the books published, finding ones that are interesting and reading them.

I want a Green Arrow/Black Canary book. I want JSA. I want Power Girl. I want Aquaman. I want a lot of books not published but that's not happening. Blue and Gold is and that's cool. I love the DCU so while Hawkman isn't in publication right now, hey, Nightwing is back. It's always been this way. Look back to your favorite era of DC-- lots of great IP were taking a nap.

They will never publish everyone's favorite characters, but the way this board acts that's tantamount to war crimes.
    Again sorry about not catching the joke and starting a semi-argument, it’s hard for me at times to catch jokes in text. Again, my apologies.

Alright to change the subject I got another opinion and this one is about Jace Fox. I think Jace has more staying power compared to other legacy or replacement heroes, because unlike other characters he is being built up specifically to be Batman and unlike the other characters he doesn’t have a separate identity to fall back on, unlike Azrael or Nightwing who have their popular roles/identities that eventually they return to because people want Bruce to return. Here Bruce isn’t going anywhere and Jace doesn’t have an alternate identity, he’s just Batman.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Again sorry about not catching the joke and starting a semi-argument, it’s hard for me at times to catch jokes in text. Again, my apologies.

Alright to change the subject I got another opinion and this one is about Jace Fox. I think Jace has more staying power compared to other legacy or replacement heroes, because unlike other characters he is being built up specifically to be Batman and unlike the other characters he doesn’t have a separate identity to fall back on, unlike Azrael or Nightwing who have their popular roles/identities that eventually they return to because people want Bruce to return. Here Bruce isn’t going anywhere and Jace doesn’t have an alternate identity, he’s just Batman.
    So, Jace is going to Batman 2?

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    So, Jace is going to Batman 2?
    Why not? There are about 3 Flashes and nearly 10 green lanterns, what’s a second Batman.
    Words to live by.