Page 69 of 333 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 4993
    BANNED

I think two different beings/souls/whatever with different maturity levels somewhat inhabiting the same body is a whole lot more fascinating than a kid in a god's body. The former invites more interesting internal conflict and bizarre scenarios. Alan Moore really exploited that type of stuff with Miracleman, not that Captain Marvel would have to be played as serious or traumatic as some of the stuff in that, but it could if a writer wanted.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 08-24-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Batman / Superman # 1, I don't like the fact that Batman and Superman already knew Shazam was Billy Batson. In the story after New 52, the identity should not have been revealed yet. Moreover, they should have a discussion if they find Shazam's true identity is Billy. Because he is still a boy. Not as trained as Robin. This should have been made as a story.

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    Batman / Superman # 1, I don't like the fact that Batman and Superman already knew Shazam was Billy Batson. In the story after New 52, the identity should not have been revealed yet. Moreover, they should have a discussion if they find Shazam's true identity is Billy. Because he is still a boy. Not as trained as Robin. This should have been made as a story.
    Yeah, I could see that being an interesting conversation to have.

Rereading my comics from the 90s now, and most of DC's well established characters knew each other's secret ids back then, but hardly anyone knew Captain Marvel was Billy Batson. I thought this dynamic worked, and helped establish Cap as being young and inexperienced, since he was new to the merged DC Universe at the time. Not all superheroes should be best friends and already know each other's secrets.

My favorite moment that this led to was an issue of Flash with Cap as a guest star. Billy says Shazam to transform, and Flash doesn't know what's going on. He just sees a bolt of lightning about to hit a kid out of the blue, so he grabs Billy and moves him out of the way at superspeed. Needless to say, the lightning followed them, and Billy still transformed in the split second that Flash looked back to check on the main threat, leaving Wally very confused.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I liked the DC animated movies better when they were stand alones instead of forced into the same universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I liked the DC animated movies better when they were stand alones instead of forced into the same universe.
    I did too, I understand why they did it but I don't like it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Shazam's codename being the same as his transformation phrase is absolutely ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous even the movie made fun of it and poked holes into how impractical it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I was initially not really into the animated continuity movies but I feel they've really picked up over time and it hasn't prevented them from doing great adaptions of classic storylines or getting to do some really cool stuff with certain characters.

Death/Reign was a much better adaption then Superman: Doomsday.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair... Low bar to hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To be fair... Low bar to hurdle.
    I mean, I enjoyed Doomsday as a standalone film (the Clark/Lois stuff, Doomsday fight, and James Marsters as Lex is great) but as an adaption it was severely lacking.

I did like that it did more with Jimmy. I think he only got 4 lines in total in the duology.

Been thinking about getting those for my YJ loving 13 year old son. I've watched some clips on Youtube and it seems decent enough. How is it?

I say I'm getting this for my kid, but it'd be like, 30% getting it for me too if I'm being honest.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I can count the DC DVD animated films that I actually like on one hand. The only ones that stand out to me as great are Under the Red Hood and Death of Superman. Even stuff like All-Star Superman and Crisis on Two Earths is only okay to me, and nothing I've wanted to watch again. The rest of them that I've seen (I admit I dont follow every single one, because of their poor track record, but I've seen enough) range from terrible to mediocre.

DC is still in the middle of the 90's and in his dark age rebirth is just another failed attempt. (and you just have to look at the cover of the #1, nobody is smiling ^^)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Shazam's codename being the same as his transformation phrase is absolutely ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous even the movie made fun of it and poked holes into how impractical it is.

I was initially not really into the animated continuity movies but I feel they've really picked up over time and it hasn't prevented them from doing great adaptions of classic storylines or getting to do some really cool stuff with certain characters.

I just think something like Batman: Hush would be so much better with Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly doing the voices. And without the Rebirth Super-suit. But now that every movie has to take place in the same universe, every one has to use the same voice actors to indicate they're all in the same universe. I didn't even realize the Batman/Robin movies were supposed to be in the same universe as the JL War and Dark at first. The problem with a shared continuity is what if one of the movies suck? Stand alone movies are no big deal. But a shared universe means you get a bad adaptation and you're stuck with it. I haven't seen Death/Return yet and not sure I care enough about it to do so. I liked Public Enemies and Apocalypse and they both appear to take place in the same universe though it's not directly stated. Things like Unchained and The Elite are "meh" and I don't think I want them necessarily sharing space with anything else.

And, yeah, the Shazam codename thing is completely ridiculous. The moment someone asks him what his name is, his secret ID is blown.
    Last edited by superduperman; 08-31-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Boisterously Confused

Yes. They should have gone with Roy Thomas' Captain Thunder idea.

ThunderCap.jpg

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Been thinking about getting those for my YJ loving 13 year old son. I've watched some clips on Youtube and it seems decent enough. How is it?

I say I'm getting this for my kid, but it'd be like, 30% getting it for me too if I'm being honest.
    Surprisingly good! They do their best to couch it in their continuity while maintaining the basic beats of the plot and it works. If you're tired of Superman jobbing for the Justice League (especially Batman), well they do drive home that Clark is pretty damned important to the DCU. Keep in mind, they're abridged, so you're not going to get some scenes like Jonathan collapsing in the corn field.

This reminds me, I've always thought Shazam was a much better name than Captain Marvel
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8