Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Is it time for DC to move away from "Everything is canon"

As the title states...is it time to move away from "Everything is Canon" and get back to actually building some type of concrete history again like what we had with Post-COIE ending with New52? Or do you like how loose everything is right now?

Right now DC wants to eat its cake and to eat it too so they try to be vague with a lot of things - Is WW made of clay or is she daughter of Zeus? They won't allow creative teams to explicitly state.

Did Gen 2 sidekicks actually graduate from YJ to Teen Titans?

When was the JL actually formed?

We used to get Whos Who of DC/Secret Files with stats and current history....but they've largely steer cleared of those.

It would be nice, but a BEAR to pull off and make work/coherent.

This isn’t something, imo, that can or should be done by committee.

The trick would be choosing the right ‘creative team’ to do the job.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's no such thing as "everything's canon". Superman's had how many origins in the last 20 years alone? When did he first get powers? Was he Superboy? What did his ship look like? What did Krypton look like? Supposedly he had the Fleischer suit early on now. But I guess he was also Superboy? Did he grow up with Luthor? I guess Batman's origin is YO again? Maybe? And the less said about Power Girl the better. Just finding a way to fit COIE into the post-Crisis universe was a pain enough. Is Supergirl older than her cousin? Did she grow up on Krypton or was she born after it already blew up?
    Assassinate Putin!

Doesn't the Everything Is Canon thing came along with the Multiverse thing being back. Meaning that we have infinity of verses branching off from each instance's many alternatives. Was that not the thing?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Doesn't the Everything Is Canon thing came along with the Multiverse thing being back. Meaning that we have infinity of verses branching off from each instance's many alternatives. Was that not the thing?
    Maybe but with that came "nothing is definitive". A lot of writers jsut pick and choose what's relevant to their story from various bits of runs

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Maybe but with that came "nothing is definitive". A lot of writers jsut pick and choose what's relevant to their story from various bits of runs
    Yes, that basically what it means. They can write anything from book to book using any of it.

Which means, I hope, that they visit past moments ruined by the DiDidiocy and do them well. Or do future things based on different outcomes. I would like a proper ending to Infinite Crisis. I would like the original AMAZONS ATTACK and to see how volume 2 of WW would have dealt with things without the turds dropped by the DiDidiocy. We could also see a non rainbow GL corps and how it could have gone without that buggery. We could explore alternative Hawks or even revisit what would have happened to the Pre-Crisis verse if the Anti-Monitor was stopped early by the Phantom Stranger or wtf-ever. The possibilities are endless really.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It would be nice, but a BEAR to pull off and make work/coherent.

This isn’t something, imo, that can or should be done by committee.

The trick would be choosing the right ‘creative team’ to do the job.
    Well those creative teams would have to agree on things and develop some kind of a road map. So wouldn't they then be committee as well?

As for the topic, I agree, but I think it is unlikely. Absolute DC will probably try to have more defined continuity, while "main" universe will remain a mess.

I think they already kinda did.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well those creative teams would have to agree on things and develop some kind of a road map. So wouldn't they then be committee as well?

As for the topic, I agree, but I think it is unlikely. Absolute DC will probably try to have more defined continuity, while "main" universe will remain a mess.
    ^^^I said creative teaM, not creative teamS.