Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
DCAU Harley Quinn was just as much of an annoying Scrappy/creator's pet of a character as her current iteration is and also equally unsympathetic.
We part here. I thought DCAU Harley was a great example of a person broken and who became a villain that you felt bad for but still needed to be stopped. She wasn't at all frustrating like her current incarnation is who essentially gets absolved of all her numerous crimes (direct or by associations) including countless murders because, well, "she was a victim!"

And the people she killed weren't? But she makes DC money so all is well. Pass. Show me that redemption arc and have hear deal with the fallout of it. Hal didn't get to handwave Parallax, he had to deal with it when he came back. I've yet to see that for Harley.

But in animation they never really tried redeeming her fully. She was always a villain, albeit with a sliding scale of villainy (being more harmless on her own than with the Joker) and was dealt with accordingly depending on how she was at the time. I dunno. She worked there for me. It didn't feel like they were treating her differently from his other rogues whereas now she gets the big "I'm huge at Hot Topic, you can't hurt me" asterisk.