Page 278 of 333 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288328 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 4988

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Well, right now Dick and Jason, and their entire generation are all young adults, so aging the YJ wouldn't really add a new niche to the DCU, as there are already so many active heroes in this age range.
    I feel like once you get into the nuances of it, it's very different. The Titans are a few years younger than what they used to be, like 27?, that's widely different from being in your early 20s, which is widely different from being 16 and under. YJ is no longer direct sidekicks like they used to be like the TT, yet don't have a history of major enemies like Deathstroke and Trigon to carry them into their own space. It gives every reason to leave them where they are I just think there's potential in having those young adult heroes that aren't sidekicks, but aren't defined by a long history and giving them that agency they need. The Titans became a lot more than sidekicks during the NTT-era, it wasn't overnight but it happened. I feel like the second major set of sidekicks deserve similar treatment, rather than just being weirdly and oddly sidelined while sharing codenames they no longer fit.

Once you boil down certain groups into small similarities they all become derivative, which just limits storytelling in the long run.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    I feel like once you get into the nuances of it, it's very different. The Titans are a few years younger than what they used to be, like 27?, that's widely different from being in your early 20s, which is widely different from being 16 and under. YJ is no longer direct sidekicks like they used to be like the TT, yet don't have a history of major enemies like Deathstroke and Trigon to carry them into their own space. It gives every reason to leave them where they are I just think there's potential in having those young adult heroes that aren't sidekicks, but aren't defined by a long history and giving them that agency they need. The Titans became a lot more than sidekicks during the NTT-era, it wasn't overnight but it happened. I feel like the second major set of sidekicks deserve similar treatment, rather than just being weirdly and oddly sidelined while sharing codenames they no longer fit.

Once you boil down certain groups into small similarities they all become derivative, which just limits storytelling in the long run.
    It seems like the generations are more or less defined by the Robins, so we have Dick's generation that seems to be about 27 (Roy is probably older), Jason seems to be more or less 22, which leaves Tim at maybe 18-19(?) and Damian at 14.
    While Nightwing / Oracle / Wally are all established heroes, not everyone in their generation found themselves. Beast boy and Raven seem to be young 20, the same as Jason, and Artemis seems to be more or less the equivalent of Jason
    I think you could still probably tell stories about the YJ being 18-19. It seems like at least for Tim DC are planning to give him a new identity, but the others are probably in a tighter spot, as Jon is now 18 and superman, and Yara is more or less now going through the "young 20 wonder girl finding her identity", so that can't really be Cassie's niche. Right now Jon and Yara are having their "coming of age" stories.

It seems like some characters from the 2nd generation of sidekicks (such as Cass and Steph) were actually aged down lately. I really don't know if DC have a clear plan for them. So far they are also doing an awful job with the original Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Agreed with some. Hawkgirl has no reason for being Hawkgirl at this point and Hawkwoman has been used before.

There's overlap between Batgirl and Batwoman but DC is, for now, embracing the three major Batgirls, two of which are still young enough to carry the mantle. Barbara feels a lot younger with it but I'm not sure how far they'll go with this Oracle comeback (which I prefer for her anyway).

Supergirl is still a teen, right?

Barbara should be a grown woman at this point. Technically she's older than Dick.

Is Supergirl still a teen? I view her as an adult thanks to the tv show and younger heroes like John and Damian. Her and Jummy have been around long enough where they should be Young adults in my opinion.
    The J-man

Well, right now Dick and Jason, and their entire generation are all young adults, so aging the YJ wouldn't really add a new niche to the DCU, as there are already so many active heroes in this age range.
    Jason isn't in Dick's generation
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Jason isn't in Dick's generation
    It seems that the age range between Dick and Jason shrank considerably, and Jason interacts with characters from Dick's generation as equals or as they are more or less the same age (mostly starfire and Roy).
    Even if Jason was created during the 80', age wise he's portrayed much closer in age to Dick's generation than to Tim's.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-18-2022 at 09:56 AM.

It seems that the age range between Dick and Jason shrank considerably, and Jason interacts with characters from Dick's generation as equals or as they are more or less the same age (mostly starfire and Roy).
    Even if Jason was created during the 80', age wise he's portrayed much closer in age to Dick's generation than to Tim's.
    And that drives me freaking crazy. I hate it so much. Jason is supposed to be much closer to Tim's age than Dick's. The entire timeline falls apart otherwise. Not that it hasn't fallen to bits over numerous changes over the years. But it totally screws up all the emotional notes for Dick becoming Nightwing and the ones for Tim's entry into the superhero world, too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    And that drives me freaking crazy. I hate it so much. Jason is supposed to be much closer to Tim's age than Dick's. The entire timeline falls apart otherwise. Not that it hasn't fallen to bits over numerous changes over the years. But it totally screws up all the emotional notes for Dick becoming Nightwing and the ones for Tim's entry into the superhero world, too.
    If Dick became Nightwing at 18 and Jason became Robin when we was 13, the age difference between them was about 5 years in the first place. Then Jason was Robin for maybe 2 years, dead for one year, and then replaced by Tim when he became 13. So about a 3 years age gap between Jason to Tim.
    Now Jason is treated as one of the young adults, and more similar to Dick's generation, while Tim is still a teen, but the ages of 27 for Dick, 22 for Jason and 19 for Tim could still probobly work.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I know certain names are iconic and have been around for decades, but for heroines that are adults DC should retire the "girl" in their names and make it woman like Marvel did with the Invisible Woman.

I know Supergirl and Batgirl might be problematic, but Hawkgirl and Powergirl should be fine.
    I definitely think some should, especially if the title isnt even being used....and some can keep it. Case in point

They arent going to become Spice Women or Backstreet Men.

I know certain names are iconic and have been around for decades, but for heroines that are adults DC should retire the "girl" in their names and make it woman like Marvel did with the Invisible Woman.
    It's a case by case thing.

I can see some character wanting to keep "girl" because it makes them feel more young and energetic. Some real women do the same. You never hear about a woman's night on the town. It's always Girls' Night out.

I know Supergirl and Batgirl might be problematic, but Hawkgirl and Powergirl should be fine.
    "Problematic" is such a horribly spineless and wimpy word. It's like you're trying to tell me "I don't have an issue with this, but somebody else somewhere else might." If they do, let them speak up. Don't try to be offended for other people. (I don't mean to jump on you specifically. I just hate when people use that word.)

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I definitely think some should, especially if the title isnt even being used....and some can keep it. Case in point

They arent going to become Spice Women or Backstreet Men.

I'd love that comparison more if they were individual artists like DaBaby or Lil Baby, Lil Kim, Fatboy Slim or Soulja Boy, etc. For groups, a name like that is similar to a club or a company you're part of it may or may not reflect on their own name. And sometimes artists change their name as they get older such as Lil Bow Wow and Lil Mario dropping the "Lil" from their names.

Take the PowerPuff Girls. As individuals, it's Bubbles, Blossom and Buttercup, but also they've never grown up they've only ever been little girls. Or take the Kids Next Door, you can only be a kid forever

Often heroes adopt names as symbols of their age and rank. It can be how people view you. Superman has a very different connotation than Superboy.

Susan Richard stopped being the Invisible Girl and became the invisible woman. It's the choice of the character (or really DC's). Still, if I were a hero, I wouldn't be calling myself "boy." There is a reason Spider-Man called himself "Man" despite being a teenager.

If I'm a villain and Fantastic Boy or Wonderful Girl shows up, I'll think I got lucky that it's only the second-string heroes. Ironically, Robin turned out to be a much better name than Batboy. That's just my take.

Now, there is nothing wrong with being named Batboy. The dilemma arises when said character evolves into an independent adult. If you're keeping that character as a dependant sidekick that's one thing. Or say a character like Astro Boy that doesn't age and will always be the robot.

Once Deandre Cortez Way hits 50 or 60, it's going to be weird calling him Soulja Boy.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's a case by case thing.

I can see some character wanting to keep "girl" because it makes them feel more young and energetic. Some real women do the same. You never hear about a woman's night on the town. It's always Girls' Night out.

"Problematic" is such a horribly spineless and wimpy word. It's like you're trying to tell me "I don't have an issue with this, but somebody else somewhere else might." If they do, let them speak up. Don't try to be offended for other people. (I don't mean to jump on you specifically. I just hate when people use that word.)
    I should have clarified. I tend to ramble, so I was trying to keep it short. When I said problematic, I meant was that those names are in use. There are already other characters using Superwoman and Batwoman. Those names are taken and are frankly aren't the same household names Batgirl and Supergirl are.

As much as I hate to admit it, this has to do with Branding and marketing as well. People recognize Supergirl. I doubt that many people are familiar with Superwoman.
    The J-man

Okay, this might be very controversial, but I believe heroes can share villains, especially if they're on a team. The Batfamily shares those villains they fight together.

The Titans share villains they face together. Same with the Justice League, Doom Patrol, Metal Men, etc.

People like to say those are Batman villains well they are Robin's villains too. Especially back in the first few decades of Batman, when Robin was right there on all his adventures and was pretty useful and essential in some of those fights.

I know fans and stans get possessive and there are instances when that really is one individual's villain given their shared history. But a villain can have more than one nemesis and if certain heroes go against one villain multiple times that's a villain that is in their rogues. This isn't the Venture Brothers there are no exclusive arching rights.

that will never track in my mind. But I don't pretend to know what's canon anymore.
    The J-man

Barbara should be a grown woman at this point. Technically she's older than Dick.

Is Supergirl still a teen? I view her as an adult thanks to the tv show and younger heroes like John and Damian. Her and Jummy have been around long enough where they should be Young adults in my opinion.
    Yeah... depends on which calendar you use. Apparently, Krypton's year was a lot longer. So 21 in Earth years is about 16 in Kryptonian years. For more info: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-time-measures

Incredible Member

The creature commandos are underrated.

I'd love that comparison more if they were individual artists like DaBaby or Lil Baby, Lil Kim, Fatboy Slim or Soulja Boy, etc. For groups, a name like that is similar to a club or a company you're part of it may or may not reflect on their own name. And sometimes artists change their name as they get older such as Lil Bow Wow and Lil Mario dropping the "Lil" from their names.
    Kid Rock is still Kid Rock and he's 51.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    The creature commandos are underrated.
    The Creature Commandos need their own movie.