Page 175 of 332 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 4968
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The only reason they make superman evil because they can't sell the good one to larger audiences. Atleast, as batman's jobber villain he sells consistently . Superman comes of as bland and boring most of the time. That's the perception built for the character . If you ask me the character needs a different pr and rebuilding from scratch character/powerset/world building wise.Clark kent Superman gave his swan song with "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow". He is pretty outdated. People seriously trying to explain away things like the id, the trunks... Etc is just a symptom. He ain't entertaining.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-27-2020 at 10:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The only reason they make superman evil because they can't sell the good one to larger audiences. Atleast, as batman's jobber villain he sells. Superman comes of as bland and boring most of the time. That's the perception built for the character . If you ask me the character needs a different pr and rebuilding from scratch.Clark kent Superman gave his swan song with "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow". He is pretty outdated. People seriously trying to explain away things like the id, the trunks... Etc is just a symptom. He ain't entertaining.
    You know, there is actually truth in this. I know a lot of people would say, "Well, all it takes are better creatives, or people who get the character," but, in this case, I actually do think there are elements about the character that are out of date, and that the character is going to take some serious brainstorming to...uh...refresh. For one, his profession is out of date. Journalist is fine, but newspaper man is not. Newspapers may still be printed today, but I'd wager the majority of people don't relate with them anymore., and I certainly know they don't use them.

The problem is his fans are so anal about EVERYTHING. Every single one thinks THEY are the ones who understand Superman, and anyone who has a different view is wrong. So, it's an uphill battle actually trying to rejuvenate a character like that, because you're undoubtedly going into a "damned if you do" situation if you do ANYTHING. I'm actually a bit surprised that so many people are open to the idea of him having a kid...but I suspect what may have helped ease that transition in is that much of the demo that follows Superman comics may be fathers or grandfathers themselves, so it may reflect some of their own experience, which they may appreciate.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    You know, there is actually truth in this. I know a lot of people would say, "Well, all it takes are better creatives, or people who get the character," but, in this case, I actually do think there are elements about the character that are out of date, and that the character is going to take some serious brainstorming to...uh...refresh. For one, his profession is out of date. Journalist is fine, but newspaper man is not. Newspapers may still be printed today, but I'd wager the majority of people don't relate with them anymore., and I certainly know they don't use them.

The problem is his fans are so anal about EVERYTHING. Every single one thinks THEY are the ones who understand Superman, and anyone who has a different view is wrong. So, it's an uphill battle actually trying to rejuvenate a character like that, because you're undoubtedly going into a "damned if you do" situation if you do ANYTHING. I'm actually a bit surprised that so many people are open to the idea of him having a kid...but I suspect what may have helped ease that transition in is that much of the demo that follows Superman comics may be fathers or grandfathers themselves, so it may reflect some of their own experience, which they may appreciate.
    Nah! Superdad has been in existence since the silverage and comics code. It's just wasn't that overt then, but now it is. So, it's easier for people to digest superman as a dad because he is already superjesus. He is metropolis's dad.

"Lex!!!! Go to your room young man!!! I am so disappointed in you. Metropolis, you are groun-i mean, bottled"
    That's another reason it's easy to turn superman into the bad guy that is lame/boring(being bad guy is acceptable. Being lame is unacceptable. I want a badass villain with depth,not a lame one). Superdad becomes supertotalitarian. Because humanity is his children and "father knows best".

Me, i don't read superman for superman anymore. He just ain't for me. The kid is more interesting, overall. There is potential for growth there. Superman fans largely read the books for superman going "hope harder. Don't do drugs".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-27-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

The whole "The Justice League are the Gods of Olympus" is stupid, kinda lame and makes no sense when you actually think about it.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    The whole "The Justice League are the Gods of Olympus" is stupid, kinda lame and makes no sense when you actually think about it.
    It wasn't so bad the first time they tried it. Since then...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison mostly made it work in his JLA run. Comparing superheroes to myth figures isn't too far out there. After all, Superman is basically Space Moses with some Sampson/Hercules mixed in, Wonder Woman is an Amazon who directly interacts with Greek gods, the Flash (Jay, Barry and Wally) have wings on their helmets/head pieces like Hermes, Captain Marvel gets his powers from Gods, Aqauman is blatantly Poseidon, etc.

As long is it's treated as fun and not overwrought, and not a direct 100% comparison with the Greek Gods (Superman may be the Zeus of the JLA, but has nothing in common with him besides being the leader), it can work.

I've picked up a few of DC's big round number special issues and it's a travesty that Action 1000 seems like a flimsy thin regulkar issue next to books like Detective 1027 and Wonder Woman 750. Action started this number celebration and it deserves far more credit.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I've picked up a few of DC's big round number special issues and it's a travesty that Action 1000 seems like a flimsy thin regulkar issue next to books like Detective 1027 and Wonder Woman 750. Action started this number celebration and it deserves far more credit.
    That one may not qualify as controversial. Superman should be treated better.

Extraordinary Member

Why was Ralph Dibny added to the Justice League?

They already had two detectives plus one forensic scientist.

His powers are okay but compared to everyone else.

I’m not saying Ralph and Sue are bad ( they’re great for who they are) but did he need to be added to the big League team back in the day when it could have went to guys like Metamorpho or Black Lightning?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 10-28-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Why was Ralph Dibny added to the Justice League?

They already had two detectives plus one forensic scientist.

His powers are okay but compared to everyone else.

I’m not saying Ralph and Sue are ( they’re great for who they are) but he need to be added to the big League team back in the day when it could have went to guys like Metamorpho or Black Lightning?
    What would those two have brought to the team?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What would those two have brought to the team?
    Elemental powers for one. Similar to Red Tornado.

Another is visuals, Monster like appearance and African American appearance.

Obvious it’s a moot point since Ralph joined before BL was created and for what ever reason, they didn’t use Metamorpho.

Obvious it’s a moot point since Ralph joined before BL was created and for what ever reason, they didn’t use Metamorpho.
    I adore silver age Ralph (and Sue) but never thought the JL was a great fit (though that was bronze age). But I was thinking about him, not the League. He's a detective, and they spend more time fighting big threats than solving mysteries. Pretty sure he was complaining about the lack of mysteries at one point.

But your mention of BL made me think of his appearance when they were considering inviting him to join the League. Been a while since I read it, but I recall they set up some sort of "test" for him, and being really annoyed by it, since no one else had to be tested to be on the team. I believe Ollie complained to the others about it. Been a while since I read it though, so may be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I do find it a little rather self-important honestly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I do find it a little rather self-important honestly.
    Some fits were good: i.e. Oracle as Athena. Zauriel as Aphrodite.

But others were bad.

Big Barda as “Demeter or Hestia?” No fit for Martian Manhunter, etc.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Some fits were good: i.e. Oracle as Athena. Zauriel as Aphrodite.

But others were bad.

Big Barda as “Demeter or Hestia?” No fit for Martian Manhunter, etc.
    I thought Barda was meant to be Athena (to Orion's Ares)? At least that's how I always read it.

I don't think Oracle was meant to be a God. Just, well, an oracle I think Wonder Woman would be the Aphrodite stand in, or Hera.