Page 128 of 333 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 4993
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Go read goldenage comics. The character is literally a strongman. He wears the damn suit for a reason. He was pitched as a strongman vigilante from space,not some stupid sungod savior. Just because mainstream turned the character into a shell of his former self. doesn't mean batman gets to be poster boy for hard work. Nor does it mean other nonpowered characters( some whom have existed before batman) being treated like second rate is right.why can't tex Thomson or crimson avenger beat up superman? Why can't they beat up batman himself? I will tell you why. Money. This is'nt storytelling. It's a glorified popularity contest with money as main objective. Batman is no better than those guys . So, buy into the narrative all you want. Doesn't make it true. I am just sick of all the nonsense associated with batman being nonpowered, "through hard work" made himself special crap.
    uhm... ok.

You seem mad about it... or at least more that emotionally invested in the topic than me. So yeah.

It seems you've thrown an lot into that argument. Tex Thopson. Crimson Avenger are "just as good as that guy" ... I was thinking Lex Luthor, maybe too... but then I realized you meant "Real life money"
    and well here's the deal my man.

Money. This isn't storytelling. It's a glorified popularity contest with money as main objective.
    Captain Obvious has now joined the Justice League chat.

Yeah of course its about money. *gasp* I mean WTH? HAHAHAHAHA.

But seriously though I legit am not sure which crimson avenger you're talking about, and tex does have a flying carpet/cape... but I find myself thinking based on your approach to this
    that you wouldn't be okay with one of them beating the man of steel.

Lastly understand this. . . I'm NOT a batfan... but I get it. Though thinking about it
    YOU THINK THAT STINGS?! You think what REALLY stings?
    I want you to consider the amount of time Captain Atom has been allowed to SMACK superman down. Like he should... Like he can, and understand that Those dollars protect
    Kal-el's narrative just as much most of the time.

It is known that cap curbstomps that fight but it unilaterally ends in "Omg: my Containment suit!" So you know. some of us are sick of it too. We just have to deal with the big money draws.

Come to think of it... you know who gets OWNED and have like NO WINS vs BOTH of those guys? Green Lanterns. I mean... batman snatches their rings from time to time and someone in a superman shirt is
    allowed to treat the guys wearing the "Most powerful weapon in the universe" like wolverine treats ninjas.
    Yeah. I'm sure that the line for superfans to start complaining about popularity protection starts ----> elsewhere.

Edit: Its too late to go back to some golden age version of him to where he's a circus strongman leaping buildings instead of being a Sungod. I hear you. The narrative is too far gone for too many years.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 05-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    uhm... ok.

You seem mad about it... or at least more that emotionally invested in the topic than me. So yeah.

It seems you've thrown an lot into that argument. Tex Thopson. Crimson Avenger are "just as good as that guy" ... I was thinking Lex Luthor, maybe too... but then I realized you meant "Real life money"
    and well here's the deal my man.

Captain Obvious has now joined the Justice League chat.

Yeah of course its about money. *gasp* I mean WTH? HAHAHAHAHA.

But seriously though I legit am not sure which crimson avenger you're talking about, and tex does have a flying carpet/cape... but I find myself thinking based on your approach to this
    that you wouldn't be okay with one of them beating the man of steel.

Lastly understand this. . . I'm NOT a batfan... but I get it. Though thinking about it
    YOU THINK THAT STINGS?! You think what REALLY stings?
    I want you to consider the amount of time Captain Atom has been allowed to SMACK superman down. Like he should... Like he can, and understand that those dollars protect
    Kal-el's narrative just as much most of the time.

It is known that cap curbstomps that fight but it unilaterally ends in "Omg: my Containment suit!" So you know. some of us are sick of it too. We just have to deal with the big money draws.

Come to think of it... you know who gets OWNED and have like NO WINS vs BOTH of those guys? Green Lanterns. I mean... batman snatches thier rings from time to time and someone in a superman shirt is
    allowed to treat the guys wearing the "Most powerful weapon in the universe" like wolverine treats ninjas.
    Yeah. I'm sure that the line for superfans to start complaining about popularity protection starts ----> elsewhere.

Edit: Its too late to go back to some golden age version of him to where he's a circus strongman leaping buildings instead of being a Sungod. I hear you. The narrative is too far gone for too many years.
    I would be perfectly ok with anyone beating superman. My post was about those characters beating superman. Was it not? I am just tired of the propaganda that is batman, Which my post was about. I saw a guy say that batman beats galactus with "hardwork". Sheesh! And it was entirely serious .Furthermore, comics is still art and storytelling. So it isn't obvious. Only those with business outlook just see business. I am not that guy. Call me, naive or whatever. That isn't the point. The point is there were tons of nonpowered superheroes or pulp characters before and after batman.Yet, the guy is treated as somekind of special case with special power 'hard work". As for being a strongman, superman is still that. It's just his target demographic that has changed. So other than with guys like morrison we don't much see that side of the character.
    Here is another controversial opinion. I think the phantom would kick batman's ass with one hand tied behind his back. Batman has got nothing on his predecessor.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2020 at 03:31 PM.

I would be perfectly ok with anyone beating superman. My post was about those characters beating superman. Was it not? I am just tired of the propaganda that is batman, Which my post was about. I saw a guy say that batman beats galactus with "hardwork". Sheesh! And it was entirely serious .Furthermore, comics is still art and storytelling. So it isn't obvious. Only those with business outlook just see business. I am not that guy. Call me, naive or whatever. That isn't the point. The point is there were tons of nonpowered superheroes or pulp characters before and after batman.Yet, the guy is treated as somekind of special case with special power 'hard work". As for being a strongman, superman is still that. It's just his target demographic that has changed. So other than with guys like morrison we don't much see that side of the character.
    Here is another controversial opinion. I think the phantom would kick batman's ass with one hand tied behind his back. Batman has got nothing on his predecessor.
    I... I don't know what to tell you about that.
    "I *HATE* the batman" really isn't that controversial opinion on these boards but... I can't believe someone "MEANS" galactus gets beaten with hard work. I'm pretty sure they're meme-ing at that point.

Phantom... Something something something My dad can beat up your dad! I mean yeah make believe vs make believe really comes down to the whims of the writer. Further I'm not really into battle boards

But it occurs to me after interacting with you and a few others on this topic...: "Tie on hand behind his back then beat him... in sales." otherwise he'll just win by being able to buy better plot armor.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

The irony in you complaining about the perks Batman's popularity brings when Superman gets the same treatment. Why is Superman portrayed as the end all be all, big gun of the DCU when characters like Martian Manhunter, Shazam, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Icon etc are just as powerful if not more than him?

You know the reason why: Superman makes more money than all those other characters combined, so he gets the in-universe rub of being the strongest hero on Earth despite a lot of characters being just as strong as he is. But of course you have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    The irony in you complaining about the perks Batman's popularity brings when Superman gets the same treatment. Why is Superman portrayed as the end all be all, big gun of the DCU when characters like Martian Manhunter, Shazam, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Icon etc are just as powerful if not more than him?

You know the reason why: Superman makes more money than all those other characters combined, so he gets the in-universe rub of being the strongest hero on Earth despite a lot of characters being just as strong as he is. But of course you have no problem with that.
    One, he is an overdog. The character was supposed to take power out of the equation. Any power structure in the universe was supposed to get serious beating from the existence of superman.He is a bully who bullies your bully, so that your bully knows what it's like being you. Shazam, martian manhunter, wonder woman, flash,...etc all have beaten superman in various ways and he has consistently been putting them over. You don't get to say those nonsense. He has taken some w's from them, he has given them many L's in return in spades. Superman is also given a jobber status, many of the times for others to take a crack at him. Unlike the character whose shtick is burying other characters with simplistic plans. He is literally the triple h of dc "the cerebral assassin" . The guy is claimed to be this great strategist. His biggest plan is "i threw a rock at him". And Yeah! That puts him on the same level as croc. Batman's L and W ratio is nothing compared to superman. Batman's w's is so far ahead that, its not even funny.Number L's, i have seen bruce take are from wonder woman and wally west. Wally west one wasn't even a fight. Bruce was being pissy jackass. Wally doesn't take **** from anyone. So he gave it right back.

Furthermore, that post isn't about win's or lose's. Its about perception and propaganda . Batman being posterchild for nonpowered heroes who ourcome obstacles with determination, will, work, resourceful... Etc. I can accept. Yet, the playing field isn't level. If you are gonna have batman beat superman. Then that luxury should be given to all the pulp heroes and superheroes.They should all be made members of the league and be treated with same courtesy.The propaganda that batman is special cause he doesn't have powers need to stop. There are plenty of guys like that in dc. It's very old company. There will always be pulp heroes/vigilante's modelled after the grey ghost/the phantom, zorro.. Etc.

Finally, between superman and batman there is only one god. That isn't the strongman vigilante from space. It's the guy who pullsout any nonsense from his belt to beat an opponent.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2020 at 10:28 PM.

One, he is an overdog. The character was supposed to take power out of the equation. Any power structure in the universe was supposed to get serious beating from the existence of superman.He is a bully who bullies your bully, so that your bully knows what it's like being you. Shazam, martian manhunter, wonder woman, flash,...etc all have beaten superman in various ways and he has consistently been putting them over. You don't get to say those nonsense. He has taken some w's from them, he has given them many L's in return in spades. Superman is also given a jobber status, many of the times for others to take a crack at him. Unlike the character whose shtick is burying other characters with simplistic plans. He is literally the triple h of dc "the cerebral assassin" . The guy is claimed to be this great strategist. His biggest plan is "i threw a rock at him". And Yeah! That puts him on the same level as croc. Batman's L and W ratio is nothing compared to superman. Batman's w's is so far ahead that, its not even funny.Number L's, i have seen bruce take are from wonder woman and wally west. Wally west one wasn't even a fight. Bruce was being pissy jackass. Wally doesn't take **** from anyone. So he gave it right back.

Furthermore, that post isn't about win's or lose's. Its about perception and propaganda . Batman being posterchild for nonpowered heroes who ourcome obstacles with determination, will, work, resourceful... Etc. I can accept. Yet, the playing field isn't level. If you are gonna have batman beat superman. Then that luxury should be given to all the pulp heroes and superheroes.They should all be made members of the league and be treated with same courtesy.The propaganda that batman is special cause he doesn't have powers need to stop. There are plenty of guys like that in dc. It's very old company. There will always be pulp heroes/vigilante's modelled after the grey ghost/the phantom, zorro.. Etc.

Finally, between superman and batman there is only one god. That isn't the strongman vigilante from space. It's the guy who pullsout any nonsense from his belt to beat an opponent.
    You do realize Superman's archenemy is just a bald, regular human businessman, right? If Lex can fight Superman why can't other regular humans? You keep talking about non powered heroes being in the JL as if characters like Green Arrow don't exist. Batman isn't the only character without powers who has been a member of the JL or other super teams.

Green Arrow, various Batfamily members, Lex Luthor, Joker, Hawkeye, Black Widow, various JSA members, etc have been on the JL, Avengers, Titans, Legion of Doom and JSA over the years so I'm not getting your point with all this.

Incredible Member

Batman beating superman is just pretty stupid.

I never understand why we cant get more batman losing stories in general. Gotham is like the apocalypse with a corrupt police force - he's clearly losing the fight against crime. He should be more like classic spiderman where even when he wins he loses or have cases like zodiac killer which he cant solve. Would add a lot to the character for me.

You do realize Superman's archenemy is just a bald, regular human businessman, right? If Lex can fight Superman why can't other regular humans? You keep talking about non powered heroes being in the JL as if characters like Green Arrow don't exist. Batman isn't the only character without powers who has been a member of the JL or other super teams.

Green Arrow, various Batfamily members, Lex Luthor, Joker, Hawkeye, Black Widow, various JSA members, etc have been on the JL, Avengers, Titans, Legion of Doom and JSA over the years so I'm not getting your point with all this.
    Not really, lex is villainous version of dc's iron man. He is as non powered as steel or a robot. As said, no they do not. Batman is continually pushed as special. he alone works hard to beat his opponent and his humanity is touted as something other heroes don't have. That's propaganda. These other heroes and pulp guys are put on these teams for namesake and in minor capacity. They aren't given any importance, they are forgotten or sometimes even made into jokes. Green arrow is the only guy given any due. If batman can take out anyone and sometimes all of them at same time, then nexttime the vigilante should be allowed to shoot down darkseid. It's that simple. I love those old heroes. As for batfamily, they are part of the problem. Those guys get to ride the coat tail. Them being allowed to be something in dc isn't much of a shocker. Jsa is seen as the prototypes, for "real deals". Joker is their priced procession ofcourse he one bad's every hero.Hawkeye and blackwidow doesn't matter. Marvel has a better power scaling and balanced system.They don't go "Spiderman - popular, let's have him beat galactus to satiate the power fantasy of his fans and get money" as far as i know.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Not really, lex is villainous version of dc's iron man. He is as non powered as steel or a robot. As said, no they do not. Batman is continually pushed as special. he alone works hard to beat his opponent and his humanity is touted as something other heroes don't have. That's propaganda. These other heroes and pulp guys are put on these teams for namesake and in minor capacity. They aren't given any importance, they are forgotten or sometimes even made into jokes. Green arrow is the only guy given any due. If batman can take out anyone and sometimes all of them at same time, then nexttime the vigilante should be allowed to shoot down darkseid. It's that simple. I love those old heroes. As for batfamily, they are part of the problem. Those guys get to ride the coat tail. Them being allowed to be something in dc isn't much of a shocker. Jsa is seen as the prototypes, for "real deals". Joker is their priced procession ofcourse he one bad's every hero.Hawkeye and blackwidow doesn't matter. Marvel has a better power scaling and balanced system.They don't go "Spiderman - popular, let's have him beat galactus to satiate the power fantasy of his fans and get money" as far as i know.
    Wait, why don't Hawkeye and Black Widow matter? Because they hurt your argument? Lex Luthor is non powered just like Batman, nice goalpost moving. If your argument is he's somehow less human than Batman because he wears power armor more often I think that's bs. Batman, to the chagrin of many wears power armor a lot too in the modern age. Joker is ok because "he's their prized possession" so him getting popularity perks is ok but not Batman?

You want to see less popular characters to get same treatment as Batman but don't want the likes of Martian Manhunter to get the same strongest hero on Earth, defacto leader of the Justice League push that Superman gets.

It's obvious you just hate Batman but are hiding behind hypocritical excuses to defend your bias against him.

Wait, why don't Hawkeye and Black Widow matter? Because they hurt your argument? Lex Luthor is non powered just like Batman, nice goalpost moving. If your argument is he's somehow less human than Batman because he wears power armor more often I think that's bs. Batman, to the chagrin of many wears power armor a lot too in the modern age. Joker is ok because "he's their prized possession" so him getting popularity perks is ok but not Batman?

You want to see less popular characters to get same treatment as Batman but don't want the likes of Martian Manhunter to get the same strongest hero on Earth, defacto leader of the Justice League push that Superman gets.

It's obvious you just hate Batman but are hiding behind hypocritical excuses to defend your bias against him.
    Can't you actually read? We are talking dc, not marvel. Tell me last time hawkeye beat galactus? Their powers structures are built differently. Batman literally has gone toe to toe with darkseid. If you are gonna do that, fine. I don't particularly care. Actually level the playing field for everyone. Have system where anyone can beat anyone.Don't give false narrative that is just propaganda about how batman is this dangerous man on the planet or how he is special. He ain't . Sure, lex is nonpowered like ironman. Are you even hearing younself?he has a giant mech suit that make's mince meat out of everyone. No, my argument is batman isn't human like lex luthor or clark kent. Nope! Mate joker isn't ok. He is in the same idiotic boat as batman.he should be just a nut. But, he one bad days the best. Posterboy for stupid propaganda.fine, go for it. Just have other non powered villains be given the same opportunity.

What you are doing is accusing me of selfish motive and hidden agendas. Not actually contenting to the argument being made. I don't a damn if martian manhunter is made the most powerful or made a hero. The real original superman isn't much of hand holding leader type. If he were to run things.it would be like a bunch of competent guys just doing their things or what they are good at.While,he leads in action. Superman is reckless. He is a leap before you look kind of person. But, he is also very adaptive, instinctive and intuitive to counter balance that. The martian has lead the team and beaten superman many time. I haven't complained once. Superman fans largely complain only when the character is written as incompetent, lazy flying brick. Which i in the original post criticed the character for as well.You have literally no grounds to stand on here. In fact, i think aquaman should lead the team. The guy is literally named arthur.

furthermore, I don't need to hide my biases. I can Simply state that, batman is an overrated character put on a pedestal with mere propaganda. He has good stories. He would because he is stuck in a cycle of where the character can make money despite the quality of the product, get good creative.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Can't you actually read? We are talking dc, not marvel. Tell me last time hawkeye beat galactus? Their powers structures are built differently. Batman literally has gone toe to toe with darkseid. If you are gonna do that, fine. I don't particularly care. Actually level the playing field for everyone. Have system where anyone can beat anyone.Don't give false narrative that is just propaganda about how batman is this dangerous man on the planet or how he is special. He ain't . Sure, lex is nonpowered like ironman. Are you even hearing younself?he has a giant mech suit that make's mince meat out of everyone. No, my argument is batman isn't human like lex luthor or clark kent. Nope! Mate joker isn't ok. He is in the same idiotic boat as batman.he should be just a nut. But, he one bad days the best. Posterboy for stupid propaganda.fine, go for it. Just have other non powered villains be given the same opportunity.

What you are doing is accusing me of selfish motive and hidden agendas. Not actually contenting to the argument being made. I don't a damn if martian manhunter is made the most powerful or made a hero. The real original superman isn't much of hand holding leader type. If he were to run things.it would be like a bunch of competent guys just doing their things or what they are good at.While,he leads in action. Superman is reckless. He is a leap before you look kind of person. But, he is also very adaptive, instinctive and intuitive to counter balance that. The martian has lead the team and beaten superman many time. I haven't complained once. Superman fans largely complain only when the character is written as incompetent, lazy flying brick. Which i in the original post criticed the character for as well.You have literally no grounds to stand on here. In fact, i think aquaman should lead the team. The guy is literally named arthur.

furthermore, I don't need to hide my biases. I can Simply state that, batman is an overrated character put on a pedestal with mere propaganda. He has good stories. He would because he is stuck in a cycle of where the character can make money despite the quality of the product, get good creative.
    My God, every post you make is some War and Peace length novel...and yes I can actually read, thank you. Your double standards are giving me a headeache. You're arguing from a place of "Batman's overrated, I don't like him" not from a place of logic. There's literally no difference in non metahuman Batman putting on the Hellbat suit to fight Darkseid and Lex Luthor putting on his Warsuit to fight Superman. None.

Batman is propaganda? It's not that serious, my dude. Was it propaganda when Oliver Queen, a regular human, saved the Arrowverse from the Anti-Monitor in the CW Crisis? No. Was it propaganda when Clark "lol is this geek giving you trouble?" Kent came in and casually beat Steppenwolf in JL after the others were struggling with him?

Why do you act dumbfounded that popular characters benefit from being popular. Do you think Spider-Man beat Firelord that one time because he's really that strong? C'mon.

My God, every post you make is some War and Peace length novel...and yes I can actually read, thank you. Your double standards are giving me a headeache. You're arguing from a place of "Batman's overrated, I don't like him" not from a place of logic. There's literally no difference in non metahuman Batman putting on the Hellbat suit to fight Darkseid and Lex Luthor putting on his Warsuit to fight Superman. None.

Batman is propaganda? It's not that serious, my dude. Was it propaganda when Oliver Queen, a regular human, saved the Arrowverse from the Anti-Monitor in the CW Crisis? No. Was it propaganda when Clark "lol is this geek giving you trouble?" Kent came in and casually beat Steppenwolf in JL after the others were struggling with him?

Why do you act dumbfounded that popular characters benefit from being popular. Do you think Spider-Man beat Firelord that one time because he's really that strong? C'mon.
    This^ and thanks I thought I was alone here for a second. Supermans plot armor is "Da THICKNESS" except when it comes to bats and man it drives them mad dunnit? Its not even that big but they
    sound like captain atom on that one cartoon and it they're best position.

Batman beating superman is just pretty stupid.

I never understand why we cant get more batman losing stories in general. Gotham is like the apocalypse with a corrupt police force - he's clearly losing the fight against crime. He should be more like classic spiderman where even when he wins he loses or have cases like zodiac killer which he cant solve. Would add a lot to the character for me.
    You answered your own question.
    "Why can't we get more batman losing stories in general" via "He's clearly losing the fight against crime" you'd have to be reading batman to really get that I imagine.

Meanwhile you shouldn't be able to get a story where batman gets curbstomped "because you hate him" or out of vengeance for some crazy irritation your feeling about your favorite... thats too many peoples favorite. So try not to loudly "Yuck" their "Yum". Finally, he's not wolverine... you can't "worf effect batman" but he does lose to villians periodically and have zodiac killer situations "in his own book" but not in the justice league almost never in the justice league thats not his role there. He goes down pretty hard in DCeased imho somethings are just beyond people.

All that being said... "I hate batman's success" ISN'T a controversial opinion round here at all so its disingenuous on multiple levels, but from a "True superman fan" complaining about plot armor via sales is just laughable, and inciting. smh.

EDIT: That being said I just watched Harley Quinn defeat Granny Goodness, plot armor is the strongest power of them all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWff2nQf9w
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 05-23-2020 at 06:31 AM.

There isn't. Which is exactly what i am saying. Yet, batman is treated as if did something special.lex not really. any idiot would do with the kind resources he has. As said, "i threw a rock at him" is bruce's biggest achievement. Yet, none of other non-powered characters is even allowed to be in the vicinity as darkseid. That's the nonsense i am calling out.i am the one with double standard?Riiight, you are accusing me of have no logic. I had good laugh with that.

He is. Arrow was given a send off which cost him his life. He didn't shoot darkseid with plot. Yes, it was propaganda in jl. The entire movie had superman bulldozing his opponents, with level zero difficulty . It sucked. It was no fun. It was boring. Once again, i want is a competent badass superman. Not whatever the heck! Was in that movie.

Nope, i am not surprised. But, there is limit to how much its done. Batman is way past that line. Tell you what, have dick grayson be touted as better at his job than batman. Then have batman job for a couple of years to put over shining knight, vigilante, tex Thompson, the crimson avenger,question... Etc. Then have a couple of batman portrayals where batman is a bad villain(in writing) or mind controlled idiot , for literally every hero to beat or save because (i don't know) one of his flings(since he doesn't really have anyone) died. Then i will say batman is anywhere near the level superman in w and L ratio. If that's your argument for why batman shouldn't be putting characters over.Finally, you haven't contented with anything of my point, which was actually to level the playing field for other nonpowered heroes like black hawks and why its bad. All you did was defend batman. Trust dude, my opinion ain't gonna with your nonsense . I don't particularly care what happens to batman. But, the character is past the annoyance phase for me as dc premiere character. I normally, love pulp fiction characters of 20s, 30s and 40s.This guy gets on my nerves now.But, that's just me. The above bolded point ain't for me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think some of the annoyance that comes from Batman surpassing Superman is that they had to change both characters around to get that to happen. Batman became darker and more of an insufferable prick, Superman became more boring and lost some of his edge, etc. When Superman was the most popular, he and Batman were buddies so Batman wasn't getting the short of the stick. Neither were other heroes really. The shift in popularity was perhaps inevitable, especially as it happened in the 80s when gritty anti-heroes were all the rage and Batman was easier to shift into that mold and Superman wasn't. But nowadays, in addition to being at times a God-mode Sue, Batman is a snarky judgmental bitch to other heroes and gets away with it because he's popular. It's not quite as bad now since Infinite Crisis (early 2000s was the worst Batman), but still crops up often enough.

Superman meanwhile just puts up with it, and fans act aghast when he displays any sort of edge/spine. He was created to put arrogant corrupt billionaires in their place, the meekness he sometimes displays towards Batman because he has to be the "Light" and "blandly nice and inspirational" one isn't helping.

Basically the deluge of Bat-media might be more tolerable if the character himself hadn't gotten Miller'd. I'd have no problem with Bronze Age Batman being everywhere and being more popular than Superman, or if other heroes like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash etc. were given similar treatment. It may be petty, but Bat-******* being popular and everywhere over Superman and others is kind of disheartening.

I think you've got a good grasp on it SagePerilous02 except that I don't think Superman had much edge by that time though that doesn't much bother me. I really do wish they'd quit with the naive/wholesome farmboy bit (played up too much, at least in many early adventure stories, even if only a cover) and kill the savior-idea (which I blame the movie for, but can't swear wasn't present before). The issues with Batman have been well--covered already.

I do think "most popular character always wins" has some negative potential, though. Especially if done consistently in interactions with other solo heroes. And they love to have heroes combative (physically or verbally) with each other. I didn't really think about until a while ago when someone talked about Spider-Man. Obviously a completely different character type than Batman, of course. But still, Batman is most popular. A Batman fan reads a big Justice League story with Batman in a starring role. Makes sense. But then all other heroes turn out to mentally, morally, and tactically inferior to him. Fun for the Batman fan, I guess, but it alienates fans of the other characters. And the Batman fans have no reason to be interested in picking up new titles, since the other characters don't bring anything to the table. And, of course, they are weakened as characters by the inconsistency, incompetence, and/or lack of heroism.

It may be petty, but Bat-******* being popular and everywhere over Superman and others is kind of disheartening.
    That's how I feel. Much as I don't like it, it seems badass Bat-God who treats everyone like crap is just super popular. People like that character. Even many who hate how he treats his family are perfectly fine with him treating outside heroes that way. They think he is superior and it's great to see him put other heroes in their place.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 05-23-2020 at 08:50 AM.