Page 84 of 333 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 4994
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For a character that is supposed to be seen as inspirational, a lot of Superman fans find the idea of him being equaled or surpassed by anyone controversial.
    What does one really have to do with another?
    And Superman fans have no problem with the Flash being faster, WW being a better fighter, magic users being able to hurt him, or MM having a slew of powers he doesn't have. It's really other fans that can't accept the fact that he may be the most powerful all rounder and strongest.

Why is he the one that has to have his status challenged the most? Or farm out most of his milestones (he can't be the first superhero anymore that the DCU was built around, he can't have a connection to the Legion, etc.)?

Retired

I've always been hoping that the comic book form would get enough respect that the mass media would give them equal coverage with TV shows, movies and music. But instead what happened is the movies adapted the comics and now the mass media covers the movie adaptations of the comics. Coverage of comic books still exists in a ghetto for hardcore fandom. Yes, we have the internet, so there's a lot more fan sites that cover comic books--but those are all directed toward us, the fandom. They aren't on general interest sites, where the greater public has a chance of being exposed to comics and maybe developing an interest in reading them.

Then again, it used to be that books in general got a lot more coverage by the mass media. Authors would often appear on the talk shows. A new fiction book got a lot of press and attention. And even further back, poets were celebrated and their work mattered to the general public. So maybe the lack of interest in comics as an artform is part of the general lessening of interest in books of all kinds.

Supermans greatest power shouldnt be his strength/speed/lasers etc its how he inspires hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Supermans greatest power shouldnt be his strength/speed/lasers etc its how he inspires hope.
    Over emphasis on this can lead him just being generic nice guy flying brick who is there to be inspiring and void of any other nuance. It's putting him on a pedestal without actually showing how awesome and engaging he can be.

It's also a convenient way to get him out of the way so other heroes can be stronger or faster. **** that noise. He inspires hope, so they get to do the actual fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Over emphasis on this can lead him just being generic nice guy flying brick who is there to be inspiring and void of any other nuance. It's putting him on a pedestal without actually showing how awesome and engaging he can be.

It's also a convenient way to get him out of the way so other heroes can be stronger or faster. **** that noise. He inspires hope, so they get to do the actual fun stuff!
    Yeah another controversial opinion: The “inspires hope” schtick has been beaten to death and is boring. I’m less interested in Superman floating ineptly in the air above a bunch of people like Jesus on the cross, telling them he can’t solve everything than I am in seeing him do cool stuff. I’d rather see him lift an infinite book and merge with Ultraman to kick the crap out of a vampire god, that’s much more entertaining.

Oh also the JL needs more PoC. One token black guy doesn’t cut it DC.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-25-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh also the JL needs more PoC. One token black guy doesn’t cut it DC.
    We also have a Hispanic Hawkgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We also have a Hispanic Hawkgirl.
    Oh is Kendra confirmed Hispanic? Great!

Oh is Kendra confirmed Hispanic? Great!
    I mean, I don't think they've been depicting her skin so brown lately because she got a great tan...not to mention how she's depicted across media.

I think DC's cities do have their own distinct identities. Mostly through use of their local news outlets. Most of our heroes are employed by such places and they all, to me, have their own spin on reporting (good or bad).

Yeah another controversial opinion: The “inspires hope” schtick has been beaten to death and is boring. I’m less interested in Superman floating ineptly in the air above a bunch of people like Jesus on the cross, telling them he can’t solve everything than I am in seeing him do cool stuff. I’d rather see him lift an infinite book and merge with Ultraman to kick the crap out of a vampire god, that’s much more entertaining.
    Yeah, about that...

Then all anybody ever talks about is how Superman is only being a meathead, never saying anything about his actual character and personality. Which leads to a lot of people assuming that things like Injustice Superman is how his personality really is. Or even the government stooge that's seen in the Dark Knight Rises series.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm cool with this...if everyone else is forced to be defined solely by their character and not by how fast/strong/smart they are compared to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Agreed. Sure, it makes his name extremely literal, but the visual is so good I don't much care.

Y'know... I hadn't thought of it before, but I would rather his name be super-literal describing his powers... than his skin tone :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    I'm sure Gotham has first-rate public transportation and schools.
    I'm sure Gotham has a top notch best education system in the country. Just look at how many Doctors, professor's and scientists Batman fights. EVERYONE is a genius in SOME field... even the generic arsonists and clowns are expert chemists and can design flight suits...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, about that...

Then all anybody ever talks about is how Superman is only being a meathead, never saying anything about his actual character and personality. Which leads to a lot of people assuming that things like Injustice Superman is how his personality really is. Or even the government stooge that's seen in the Dark Knight Rises series.
    Not even remotely. Making him more than a passive symbol of hope would actually allow his personality to be shown. What exactly about his character is being shown if he's just reduced to being an inspirational hope symbol. It's basically just nonsense that doesn't mean anything on its own to throw the character/fans a passive aggressive bone as they strip him of everything else.

he's the Man of Action, the Man of Tomorrow, the greatest that there ever was. That isn't any more likely to lead to the TDKR take than what we've had in the modern age, it might actually be less likely. Stop putting him on a pedestal and leaving him there to rot so nobody has to deal with him anymore. he can be an inspiration of hope and SO MUCH MORE, not just some bland inoffensive light contrast to Batman's darkness.

Retired

It may come across as corny, but I think the best way that Superman can be a symbol of hope to others is by appearing in public, smiling and waving to people, helping get kittens out of trees, making honest speeches about the wonders of the world and the universe, donating mementos of his adventures to the Superman Museum.

You just need to balance it frankly