Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123
Results 1,831 to 1,838 of 1838

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I am entirely about a relaunch of Adventure Comics!
    How about a compromise?

DC PRESENTS....ADVENTURE COMICS

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    How about a compromise?

DC PRESENTS....ADVENTURE COMICS
    DC Comics Presents... Brave and Bold Adventure Comics #1 featuring The Newsboy Legion.

Make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think part of the problem is that nobody's really sure what the alternative was. They were on the verge of bankruptcy. Some big name characters were on the verge of cancellation. Like WW.
    I'm not sure there was an alternative. But I don't believe they were on the verge of going out of business; Superman, Super Friends and several comics (Legion, New Teen Titans, Swamp Thing) were all doing well. Licensing for Superman was still on the uptick. But Batman was badly broken - they couldn't sell merchandising rights to the character by the mid-1980s.
    Len Wein was told he might have to cancel Detective Comics due to declining sales. I mean...Detective Comics.

So DC's problem was clear: They didn't have much beyond those few successes. And while it was incredible to see Legion and NTT selling 200-300k copies per month - more than Superman, and near the X-Men / Avengers / Spider-Man range, it was only a few books at that level. Whereas Marvel? Most of their books sold 200-300k per month. Not just the top books. They were selling a universe, and readers bought in. Jim Shooter has said many times the most frequent fan request he got in the 80s was to cancel ROM, because readers were tired of having to buy it - but they felt obligated.

DC was in real danger of becoming the #3 publisher - to either First Comics, Eclipse or somebody new. So yeah, they had to take steps. That's why all the creators they went after in the late 70s / early 80s came from Marvel - Conway, Englehart, Wolfman, Wein, Miller and eventually Byrne. They were trying to entice a large readership to dip their toe in, however possible.

It was never fully successful; even Byrne's Superman didn't set the world on fire for years and years, sales-wise. DC didn't benefit from Marvel fatigue until the mid-1990s, when Marvel went through a mid-life Crisis. (no pun intended)

I like Wonder Woman as a character but I think she suffers from the fact that she has not had that many great runs and great stories.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I like Wonder Woman as a character but I think she suffers from the fact that she has not had that many great runs and great stories.
    Agreed.

10 characters.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I LOVE the character, but yeah I have to agree. As an icon and a character, she's far better than her comics.

You can count the good-great runs on one hand: Marston, Perez, Rucka, Jimenez...that's pretty much it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I LOVE the character, but yeah I have to agree. As an icon and a character, she's far better than her comics.

You can count the good-great runs on one hand: Marston, Perez, Rucka, Jimenez...that's pretty much it.
    From the perspective of feats and adding to mythology Walt Simonson's run was impressive.

Spectacular Member

N52 Martian Man hunter was amazing. The proactive, survivor complex, self appointed protector of Earth with his own agenda and level of borderline omnipresense and involvement with planetary level affairs was the most inspired reintroduction for the character possible. He was stripped from being one of the original JL members but was given a role that if followed properly could bring the character new highs.